HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 12:59 PM

So....really nice strip mall?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 3:18 PM

Hmmmm, Welllll, maybe not exactly a nice strip mall. Basically its going to be like one of the more upscale lifestyle centers around Beverly Hills, like say The Grove or Century City. Very upscale retail and theatre,restaurants, but the residential isn't on top of the retail but next door/across the street. Not surprising that this resembles the same type of mix and set-up of so many of So. Cal's centers. I mean, the developers are Californians.

The Station in Farmington has a major advantage in that it is located next to the commuter rail, and I guess Lagoon also. I still think that The Station will prove to be an excellent location for residential in the future mix. I can't imagine that the developers aren't thinking that.

The Grove

Here's a pic of the residential right across the street from the Grove. There are several hundred units. Much like what is being described for the Station

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Hmmmm, Welllll, maybe not exactly a nice strip mall. Basically its going to be like one of the more upscale lifestyle centers around Beverly Hills, like say The Grove or Century City. Very upscale retail and theatre,restaurants, but the residential isn't on top of the retail but next door/across the street. Not surprising that this resembles the same type of mix and set-up of so many of So. Cal's centers. I mean, the developers are Californians.

The Station in Farmington has a major advantage in that it is located next to the commuter rail. I still think that The Station will prove to be an excellent location for residential in the future mix. I can't imagine that the developers aren't thinking that.
I too am excited for this project and am convinced that it will be better than your average strip mall for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is located at the Farmington Commuter rail station. If there is enough of a reason to go there, I could see myself riding the train there from my home in Clearfield and leaving the car at home.

That said, I'm disappointed that there will be no residential component. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it still would have been nicer with residential. Station Park will differ from the developments in California because the existing townhomes aren't exactly "across the street"
The Garbett townhomes and other twinhomes that were mentioned earlier are on the other side of I-15 and the massive new Legacy Parkway interchange, and as such are actually 2 miles by car from Station Park. If you were to make the trip on foot, you would be looking at closer to 3 miles, since there is no pedestrian access on US 89:

Anyway, that what sucks about it: There are enough other residential developments in the area to make a residential component unfeasable, but they are still too far away to have an impact on Station Park becoming a true TOD unless they were to build a huge footbridge over the freeway.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 4:59 PM

What your not looking at is the frontage road that connects to that overpass. Woodside Homes is expected to develop nearly 2500 acres on the north side of Park lane. If that doesn’t quite compute, imagine all of Rosecrest in Farmington. This is just one of the many other developments going on in this area. The real question would be why spend the money on a high dollar apartment style condo when there are many other options in the area. It just isn’t feasible right now.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post

What your not looking at is the frontage road that connects to that overpass. Woodside Homes is expected to develop nearly 2500 acres on the north side of Park lane. If that doesn’t quite compute, imagine all of Rosecrest in Farmington. This is just one of the many other developments going on in this area. The real question would be why spend the money on a high dollar apartment style condo when there are many other options in the area. It just isn’t feasible right now.
There is a frontage road, but the end of it simply becomes the offramp from US 89 to Park Ln. and has no sidewalks or pedestrian improvements:

While I suppose a person could potentially walk to Station Park without going all the way over to Main street, they'd be walking 2 miles, much of the route along the unpaved, gravel shoulder of a highway offramp. Not exactly what I picture when I think of a TOD experince.

All that I am saying is that while there is a lot of housing around Station Park, it is mostly all on the other side of the freeway, and I doubt that these residential developments will have any pedestrian interaction with Station Park. Anybody that lives there is going to drive in a car to get to the store. I don't know there is anything that can be done to change that, but I still think that it's unfortunate.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 5:18 PM

pedestrian path from Garbett to Station

Architektor,
Actually there will be a pedestrian path built from the Garbett homes development to the interchange/overpass above I-15. I was in the process of buying a townhome there a little while back, and this one thing I looked at so I could take commuter rail into work near downtown. So, it's really about 3/4 mile from the Garbett homes sale center to where the station will be.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 5:27 PM

I worked on the first two phases of the Garbett project. A major focus of the development is walking paths. Much of the paths connect to the Kasville and Farmington trail systems.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 5:45 PM

I wish I were wrong, but I don't think that anybody living in Garbett's community will walk to the commuter rail station and ride the train to work, even if the walk is only 3/4 of a mile, if we're lucky, some will drive over and park at the park-n-ride, but from my experience developing transit oriented communities, most people are unwilling to walk more than 1/4 of a mile to get anywhere on a regular basis.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I wish I were wrong, but I don't think that anybody living in Garbett's community will walk to the commuter rail station and ride the train to work, even if the walk is only 3/4 of a mile, if we're lucky, some will drive over and park at the park-n-ride, but from my experience developing transit oriented communities, most people are unwilling to walk more than 1/4 of a mile to get anywhere on a regular basis.
You're probably right. Most if not all of them will use the acres of parking in this development.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 6:03 PM

Case in point: (This almost made me want to cry)

We are currently building townhomes in S. Salt Lake near the Meadowbrook TRAX station:

I recently spoke with one of our buyers who said that whenever he uses TRAX, he DRIVES to the park-n-ride instead of walking. (This despite the fact that his front door is less than 300 yards from the platform)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 6:21 PM
BANNED

That's stupid... Well, at least it cuts down on VMT.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 3:45 PM

Jet-maker is expanding in Ogden

Adam Aircraft is expected to add 1,255 jobs by 09

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...236253,00.html

An Adam Aircraft A700 and an A500 fly in formation.(Reuters)

Adam Aircraftr Industries Inc., based in Colorado, said Friday that it has selected Ogden for an expansion. The announcement came shortly after a state board reworked an economic development incentive package to get the jobs to come to Utah. "Ogden is our choice," company spokeswoman Shelly Simi said Friday afternoon....

Old Posted Dec 16, 2007, 12:44 PM

The most overloaded non-interstate highway in Utah, Riverdale Road, is ready for a two-year expansion project starting Jan 2.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...236529,00.html

Scott G. Winterton, Deseret Morning News

The project's goal is to increase the highway's capacity by 35 percent and decrease the travel time through the area by 25 percent. It will use 40-year-life- span concrete for the work.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 12:05 PM

UDOT studying options for widening road from Syracuse to West Haven

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...238874,00.html

Much of the growth in Davis and Weber counties is coming on their west sides and generating increased traffic.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 2:46 PM

Ogden City and the new Salomon Center are hoping to become destination spots for outdoor enthusiasts

http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors_ci_7865020?source=rv

Trent Nelson/Salt Lake Tribune

Jim Urquhart/Salt Lake Tribune

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 1:47 PM

Northern Metro - Brigham City - Complex is planned for area

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...242528,00.html

A back way into Brigham City could become a grand entrance.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 7:30 PM

Downtown Ogden to get 14-story hotelJanuary 10th, 2008 @ 10:25am
OGDEN, Utah (AP) -- Ogden is getting a fancy new hotel.

An Orem-based development group says it will take two years to build a 14-story, 300-room hotel as part of the makeover of downtown Ogden.

Ogden is selling the land for the hotel for $1.7 million. It's also offering developers a $1.2 million interest-free loan.

Construction costs for the hotel could approach $100 million.

Midtown Development President Larry Myler is hoping the Utah Transit Agency signs on to a city proposal to string an aerial gondola through the city.

The agreement grants Midtown Development exclusive rights to a potential urban gondola stop serving a larger development dubbed The Junction.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 7:56 PM
Bring out the cranes...

This is great news. Ogden hasn't seen a new highrise since the 1930's. I wounder where in downtown this hotel could get built?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Jan 10, 2008 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 8:16 PM

Where could they put a gondola?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 8:38 PM

That's pretty exciting news, I'm anxious to see the rendering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West