HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 12:33 PM

A couple of new developments announced, one in East Riverside and one in Amherstburg.

The vacant plot just east of the Riverside Sportsmen's Club, which used to be the site of Endurance Materials Limited, is going to be developed into condos. The developers are applying for the Brownfield CIP and will be moving to a Phase 2 environmental assessment (EA). No word on the number of units, but barring the results of the EA, developers hope to go to council with a re-zoning proposal. Fun fact: Of the city's 559 acres of brownfield, there are currently 75 being redeveloped (about 13%). Doesn't seem like much, but I can see that number going up as more developments look for space within the city.

At 72 Murray St in Amherstburg, the old 2-Way Automotive building is going to be redeveloped into a boutique hotel with 8 rooms and a rooftop terrace, and commercial space. The building is listed on Amherstburg's historic register and dates back to 1879. Based on the renderings, it looks like they will keep the existing stonework and masonry in the front (which was painted white, looks like they'll remove that back to the original brick) with an addition on the back. Both the Heritage Planner in Amherstburg as well as the Heritage Committee have endorsed the project as well.

Looks like a couple of nice proposals coming in, although I'm curious to see if there will be any complaints about the condo in Riverside (as we've seen from other parts of the city outside of downtown)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 5:00 PM

http://www.windsorontarionews.com/wi...al-estate.html

Historic industrial building on the east side next to Sandpoint Beach getting some new life.
This is nice to see.
I always wondered what this building was used for in it's lifetime.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselXL View Post

Historic industrial building on the east side next to Sandpoint Beach getting some new life.
This is nice to see.
So happy to see this get redeveloped! I always thought it was a great location for loft style condos, but their head office moving in is also a good alternative. I’m just really happy that they aren’t tearing it down like so many other old warehouses in the city.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
So happy to see this get redeveloped! I always thought it was a great location for loft style condos, but their head office moving in is also a good alternative. I’m just really happy that they aren’t tearing it down like so many other old warehouses in the city.
Yeah this is great to hear! I love seeing these older Art Deco buildings get a second life

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 7:10 PM

Quote:

This is nice to see.
I also noticed that the old Beer Exchange at 493 University Ave W is also getting a redevelopment into a mixed-use building! 3 residential units above and a smaller commercial unit below. Looks like Rhys Trenhaile is overseeing this one, who I believe is also doing the Canada Building renovation downtown as well? (correct me if I'm wrong on this one)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 7:16 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:

This is nice to see.
That's really great. Have driven past this hundreds of times on the way to/from my grandparents' house, but it's been a number of years since I was there.

I just realized the other industrial buildings to the west of this one were taken down, looking at the streetview and its history.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 7:27 PM
Ham-burgher

My Windsor memories are flooding back. lol

Another thing I fondly recall is the former bridge on Riverside over the rail line that used to run to the riverfront, just west of Hiram Walkers. I remember the "bump" as you got the top, the ramps being so steep. But that was a long, long time ago.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 7:45 PM

^ The Peabody Bridge! Yep, I remember being on that death trap many times lol. Demolished in the early '90s.

About the eastside warehouses, yes, the old Riverside Brewery was demolished a few years ago because it was beyond repair (the floors were literally caving in).

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 7:51 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
^ The Peabody Bridge! Yep, I remember being on that death trap many times lol. Demolished in the early '90s.

About the eastside warehouses, yes, the old Riverside Brewery was demolished a few years ago because it was beyond repair (the floors were literally caving in).
That's too bad about the brewery. It would have made for a terrific re-use.

My grandpa always drove pickup trucks when I was a kid (and always Dodge models too). So the ride was stiff. Going over that bridge was pretty thrilling in them.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 9:16 PM
Ham-burgher

One other thing -- I've driven to Windsor a few times since we lost our family connection there, and visited some old haunts. I love how the parks along the riverfront have been maintained and developed.

I'd like to see the city flourish. It's a nice place to be.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 2:40 PM

Not a development per se, but the University of Windsor is buying the former Windsor Star building (the one at 300 Ouellette). No official word yet what the University plans to do with it, but Councillor Bortolin said that the they plan on making it some sort of tech and innovation centre. It's cool to see them expanding their presence downtown, now for them to repurpose the old Greyhound terminal!

Article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...335751?cmp=rss

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurPlanner View Post
Not a development per se, but the University of Windsor is buying the former Windsor Star building (the one at 300 Ouellette). No official word yet what the University plans to do with it, but Councillor Bortolin said that the they plan on making it some sort of tech and innovation centre. It's cool to see them expanding their presence downtown, now for them to repurpose the old Greyhound terminal!

Article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...335751?cmp=rss
I was very happy to read that they purchased the building and are going to expand their DT presence. And I also hope that they do something cool with the old Greyhound station, it’s a neat Art Deco building and piece of property.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 7:17 PM

That's great news. UW has been really investing in the DT over the years.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 12:28 PM

Confirmation from the University on their plans to create a community hub in the space. Sounds like there are some renovations that needs to be done to the building on the ground floor, but it all sounds really promising! They've done a really nice job on all their other renovations, so excited to see what comes out of this one!

Also mentions the Greyhound station briefly, again citing the issues of its placement over the tunnel and also mentions the University has no immediate plans for the building although they do say that they haven't given up on it

Link to article: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...dsor-star-home

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurPlanner View Post
Confirmation from the University on their plans to create a community hub in the space. Sounds like there are some renovations that needs to be done to the building on the ground floor, but it all sounds really promising! They've done a really nice job on all their other renovations, so excited to see what comes out of this one!

Also mentions the Greyhound station briefly, again citing the issues of its placement over the tunnel and also mentions the University has no immediate plans for the building although they do say that they haven't given up on it

Link to article: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...dsor-star-home
Yes, I’m also excited to see what they end up doing with the building, it’s been kind of a half abandoned mess for a while.

Looks like some new condo type apartments are going up in Amherstburg on Front Rd. across from the Amherstburg Yacht Club, four six floor buildings with SFH’s behind. It should make a much nicer entrance into town.

http://www.windsorontarionews.com/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 12:58 PM

Three new multi storey residential projects with 119 apartments and condos are heading to the city’s development and heritage standing committee Monday, two are on Tecumseh rd. E and one on Riverside Dr. and Pierre.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...es-endorsement

Seems like a lot of the “missing middle” low and mid rise developments now going up in the city

Last edited by north 42; Feb 3, 2022 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, I’m also excited to see what they end up doing with the building, it’s been kind of a half abandoned mess for a while.

Looks like some new condo type apartments are going up in Amherstburg on Front Rd. across from the Amherstburg Yacht Club, four six floor buildings with SFH’s behind. It should make a much nicer entrance into town.

http://www.windsorontarionews.com/
I don't want put to much stock into the photo used for the Amherstburg development but I really hopes its more than just a cookie cutter copy of the Wyandotte and Crawford (West Bridge Place). Nice enough building (my current residence) but it is quite basic. I may also be extremely jealous of the potential golf simulator listed as an amenity. My building has NOTHING lol... and the fitness room is a poor excuse even by a cheap hotel standard.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
I don't want put to much stock into the photo used for the Amherstburg development but I really hopes its more than just a cookie cutter copy of the Wyandotte and Crawford (West Bridge Place). Nice enough building (my current residence) but it is quite basic. I may also be extremely jealous of the potential golf simulator listed as an amenity. My building has NOTHING lol... and the fitness room is a poor excuse even by a cheap hotel standard.
I’m not getting my hopes up for something any different from all of their other buildings, including yours, unfortunately. But I am happy that the entrance to Amherstburg will look much better with this development as opposed to the weed strewn lots that are there now.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Three new multi storey residential projects with 119 apartments and condos are heading to the city’s development and heritage standing committee Monday, two are on Tecumseh rd. E and one on Riverside Dr. and Pierre.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...es-endorsement

Seems like a lot of the “missing middle” low and mid rise developments now going up in the city
Not a fan of that style of building on riverside with the exterior stairs. To me it doesn't suit the drive. But I can understand with the lot being small and any increased density is much needed.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inter777 View Post
Not a fan of that style of building on riverside with the exterior stairs. To me it doesn't suit the drive. But I can understand with the lot being small and any increased density is much needed.
Yeah, it’s an odd design, hopefully they tweak it a bit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario