HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Absolutely ridiculous! This is exactly what the city and Walkerville needs, new midrise developments that blend into the neighbourhood and provide much needed intensification and choice. This looks totally acceptable for Walkerville, it’s not some modern monstrosity as many are making it out to be. Windsor is really turning into NIMBY land lately, ugh!
Agreed! A midrise like this is not out of place for a neighbourhood like this and are fairly common in other cities (especially near transit stops). I also think one resident in the article mixed up "low vacancy" with "residential intensification" as they said that Walkerville already has intensification because homes are purchased very quickly

I'm also very surprised at the backlash against Holt. He's been a huge advocate for walkability and density for as long as I can remember, and he has (as mentioned in the article) seen similar development proposals in other neighbourhoods and has approved them. Walkerville is one of the more walkable neighbourhoods in the city, so adding some density (especially in this location) is a no-brainer and is in-line with what we've seen from other infill projects.

If I hear "but the traffic!" though, I think I'll lose it!

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 11:28 AM

Apparently the Star posts development posts in waves another post here about a "shocker" development in Southwood Lakes. There is a rezoning proposal to put three 6-story buildings between Howard Ave and Southwood Lakes, near the Ukrainian Church. Appears to be some NIMBYs who are opposing it, but it goes inline with the infill approach the city has been taking. Plus, there is additionally going to be some commercial on the ground floor, so it's also a mixed-use development as well!

The more interesting part IMO is all the other developments that are called out within the article that I hadn't heard about (seems like the Star only posts when there is backlash ). Will try to summarize below:

- three 6-story buildings in Southwood Lakes (167 units total - mentioned above)
- 4-story in Walkerville (23 units - posted yesterday)
- 96 townhouse-style units between Division and Kamloops, with neighbourhood commercial (this one was new to me, looks to be rezoning a portion of industrial to residential)
- a mention of two residential developments in Forest Glade (no specifics on what, but it mentions hundreds of units. Approved by council)
- two buildings with 60 units each at 3160 Meadowbrook Lane (another new one)
- plans for a residential project for the 6500 block of Wyandotte St East (no specifics here either)

There's also mention of the previous projects as well (old pharma plant in Walkerville getting converted, condo project in Southwood Lakes, etc). The one I'm most surprised about is the Division and Kamloops one as there wasn't any mention about a brownfield grant. Maybe the site is already cleaned up? I'm not sure, but definitely nice to see more infill within different neighbourhoods!

Link to article: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...fbb67beff/amp/

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 11:44 AM

Just wait till they propose some type of midrise condos on the Fogolar Furlan land that was recently sold. That will be the last straw for south Windsor folks lol. I feel like it's the same elderly ppl that complain. Our new "out of towners" must just be laughing.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inter777 View Post
Just wait till they propose some type of midrise condos on the Fogolar Furlan land that was recently sold. That will be the last straw for south Windsor folks lol. I feel like it's the same elderly ppl that complain. Our new "out of towners" must just be laughing.
Very true! I forgot about that sale. Yeah I can definitely see some low-rise or mid-rise units going up there. I'll be waiting for another "shocker" development story then!

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 1:48 PM

Coming from Mississauga, where 20-50s towers are built almost directly next to detached homes, I find these NIMBY arguments hilarious. I've seen people call the 4s Walkerville development "gargantuan". The sad part is that I can sadly confirm from anecdotal evidence that it is not just limited to old people opposing these developments. There are plenty of young NIMBYs in Windsor that will push this issue far into the future as well.

In all honesty, I don't think these developments go far enough. The heights of these new buildings should be at least double what they are currently. Windsor is lagging behind the rest of the cities in the province on building new homes of all kinds, and the city should really be making it easier to build taller. These projects are a great start at least.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Coming from Mississauga, where 20-50s towers are built almost directly next to detached homes, I find these NIMBY arguments hilarious. I've seen people call the 4s Walkerville development "gargantuan". The sad part is that I can sadly confirm from anecdotal evidence that it is not just limited to old people opposing these developments. There are plenty of young NIMBYs in Windsor that will push this issue far into the future as well.

In all honesty, I don't think these developments go far enough. The heights of these new buildings should be at least double what they are currently. Windsor is lagging behind the rest of the cities in the province on building new homes of all kinds, and the city should really be making it easier to build taller. These projects are a great start at least.
Definitely agree, some of the proposals could do with more units, and hopefully with all the other potential infill properties that are in the city we can see some additional units go vertically.

I have also seen what you mean about the young NIMBYs (well, depending what you mean by young ). For example, the original Southwood Lakes proposal (at Sixth Concession and North Talbot), there were a couple younger families that were at the council meeting to oppose the project (probably in their mid-30's to early-40's). I'm optimistic though as they do seem to be outnumbered by people who are for these projects, and (most) councillors are also in support of the densification around the city.

One thought that I had is that maybe some of the renderings don't accurately portray the scale compared to the existing houses? I've seen midrise buildings in Windsor and other cities, and they are definitely not "gargantuan" as they seem to be saying . Just a thought I had to (potentially) curb all the opposition these sorts of projects bring about (although maybe that's wishful thinking! )

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 10:30 PM
Rockin' Buffet Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post
Anyone have any idea what's going on at the former Preney Print & Litho property on Dougall Ave, just north of the Expressway and south of the new EMS station?

There's been some activity going on there the past number of weeks and last I saw they've been digging below grade now.
Well, whatever was going on, they appear to be done for now. The hole has been filled up, leveled, and almost all equipment is absent from the area.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 1:40 AM

I think part of it is that people have just become accustomed to seeing no developments in their neighbourhoods for so long that they just assumed things would stay the same forever. Windsorites are not used to the kind of residential construction boom that we are seeing now. This kind of growth hasn't been seen around here in many decades.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I think part of it is that people have just become accustomed to seeing no developments in their neighbourhoods for so long that they just assumed things would stay the same forever. Windsorites are not used to the kind of residential construction boom that we are seeing now. This kind of growth hasn't been seen around here in many decades.
That's a fair point, and I agree that it's probably one of the driving factors behind a lot of the pushback. Hopefully as these projects are completed and residents realize that they aren't "ruining" their neighbourhoods, the pushback will die down, but maybe I'm just being optimistic

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:44 AM

It appears that the three 6 story condo towers between Howard and Southwood Lakes will potentially be modified after resident pushback. The article mentions that the developer did an open house with the residents before going to council for a rezoning approval. The article is a bit misleading as it shows the rendering for the Sixth Concession at North Talbot development, which is a separate thing (not sure why they used that image). Will have to keep an eye out on this one. To be honest I feel like these residents won't be happy unless it's single-family homes

Link to article: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...kes-condo-plan

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:01 PM

Looks like the Site Plan Approval for the Inspiration Tower at Wyandotte and Ouellette is going to council tonight for approval. Seems like the project is still moving forward. I don't believe council will push back too much since it's downtown and the building being 17 stories is a non-issue. Hopefully it's able to move forward after this!

Link to council agenda for tonight (recommendation is on page 145): https://www.citywindsor.ca/cityhall/...d%20footer.pdf

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurPlanner View Post
Looks like the Site Plan Approval for the Inspiration Tower at Wyandotte and Ouellette is going to council tonight for approval. Seems like the project is still moving forward. I don't believe council will push back too much since it's downtown and the building being 17 stories is a non-issue. Hopefully it's able to move forward after this!

Link to council agenda for tonight (recommendation is on page 145): https://www.citywindsor.ca/cityhall/...d%20footer.pdf
Are they just adding the tower to the Shoppers building, or are they rebuilding the whole site? Hopefully they do a complete redo, as it’s looking really drab as it is currently.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Are they just adding the tower to the Shoppers building, or are they rebuilding the whole site? Hopefully they do a complete redo, as it’s looking really drab as it is currently.
From what I could tell in the document sent over to council, it looks like the existing building will be kept as-is I'm not sure if the owners of the new building also own the Shoppers building as well. I agree though, it could definitely use a refresh!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:24 AM
Rockin' Buffet Tables

I was over at Malden Park the other day and noticed that you can start to see the new bridge towers coming up in the distance. I didn't have my good camera with a decent long lens with me so the pics I got aren't worth posting here, but the bridge folks have posted updates of the progress

Canadian Side

https://www.gordiehoweinternationalb...r-construction

US Side

https://twitter.com/GordieHoweBrg/st...17999171395586

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post
I was over at Malden Park the other day and noticed that you can start to see the new bridge towers coming up in the distance. I didn't have my good camera with a decent long lens with me so the pics I got aren't worth posting here, but the bridge folks have posted updates of the progress
It's been awesome seeing their progress, especially now that both towers are going vertical. It will be really cool to see once they start building out over the river!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:27 PM

Wow look at the angle of those towers. And that construction elevator is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. I bet Matty Moroun is rolling in his grave right now

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:06 PM

Did the building at Wyandotte and Ouellette get approved?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 5:11 PM

I don't have any pictures, but I have to say, in the Lauzon Rd/Meadowbrook area near Forest Glade is really rising up from the ground. Progressing fast. I'm trying to remember, is that building part of Windsor Housing to take care of the backlog? Or is it something else?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
Did the building at Wyandotte and Ouellette get approved?
I'm not 100% sure. It doesn't look like the minutes from that council meeting have been posted yet, but I do remember the agenda saying that the recommendation was to approve the site plan, so unless there was pushback from other council members it most likely went through, although we will have to wait and see for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderStrat View Post
I don't have any pictures, but I have to say, in the Lauzon Rd/Meadowbrook area near Forest Glade is really rising up from the ground. Progressing fast. I'm trying to remember, is that building part of Windsor Housing to take care of the backlog? Or is it something else?
I believe it is, if this is the one you're talking about. I believe it's 100 units of affordable housing that has backings from the provincial and federal government. It's at 3100 Meadowbrook.

Unrelated, but it looks like a couple of additional infill proposals were approved by the development and heritage standing committee. The biggest opposition this time around was parking huge pushback from residents saying that only 7 spaces for 12 units would cause huge parking concerns (for the one on Windsor Ave in downtown) as well as one at 3871 Howard Ave (near Cabana). Similar concerns with respect to parking. Seems there's a new backlash for every development, and it's different each time! last week was the size, now it's parking

Link to article: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...-south-windsor

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 2:57 PM

Rezoning has been approved by the Town of LaSalle for two new 5-story buildings with 146 new units total at Mary Drive and Sandwich West Parkway, right across the street from Holy Cross Elementary School. Fills in a vacant lot between two existing buildings and is right on an existing transit route. Not too many details so far, but glad to see it was approved!

Link to article: http://www.windsorontarionews.com/wi...al-estate.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario