HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
I'd prefer the arena stay downtown, but if the private sector is going to pay for over 50% of the arena, we should hear what they have to say, especially if they are willing to take on operating costs.
Or if their business undertaking makes sense as a business model.

Hamilton Bulldogs could be persuaded to move to Aldershot
(Burlington Post, Jan 06, 2011)

Don’t write off the Hamilton Bulldogs’ interest in a new arena in Aldershot just yet.

“If somebody approaches me and says we have a 9,000-seat building and would like an anchor tenant, of course I’d consider it,” says team owner Michael Andlauer.

As part of a proposed development that would include a new stadium for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Angelo Paletta has included an arena. Any such building would need a team of some kind.

Andlauer says he actually looked at the site a couple years ago when he was exploring the idea of building an arena in Burlington. With its proximity to the highway and the GO station, he calls it a “site of the future.”

Further, he says moving the team there wouldn’t go against his commitment to keep the team in the Hamilton area.

Paletta dreams of NHL in Aldershot
(Hamilton Spectator, Scott Radley, Jan 7 2011)

“Copps is too big,” he says. “It’s unfortunate but it was built for an NHL team and today you can have some Class A acts in much smaller buildings.”

Andlauer says he’d be willing to spend some of his own money on an arena if it made financial sense. At one point while investigating building a rink of his own, a 6,000-seat arena was going to cost something like $40 million.

OHL hockey in Burlington?
(Hamilton Spectator, Scott Radley, Jan 20 2015)

A local businessman says the pieces may be falling into place to bring an Ontario Hockey League team to Burlington.

Is he right?

Burlington business owner Tim Wilson says he's aware of an out-of-town buyer with deep pockets — he only knows the man's first name — who likes the city as a hockey market and is interested in bringing a major junior team there. Meanwhile, he says a local builder he wouldn't name, but knows personally, is ready to begin work on a new 7,500 to 9,000-seat arena, financed entirely with private money….

There's little doubt a new arena that size — and an OHL team occupying it — would have an impact on the Golden Horseshoe entertainment market. Many of the smaller concert offerings that presently perform at FirstOntario Centre might look there instead. And a building that size could be enticing to more than one team.

Back when Paletta threw out his idea four years ago, Hamilton Bulldogs owner Michael Andlauer said if a 9,000-seat arena suddenly opened in this area, he'd at least consider putting his team there. It would certainly be more appropriate for an AHL franchise than where he is now.

Even still, I can imagine cheaper places to construct such a facility than some of the most valuable commercial real estate in the CMA.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 6:23 PM

This is infuriating! The idea that a Hamilton team would be moved to Burlington is just a slap on the face !!! Why not a better site in Hamilton close to GO and the hwy .... Why is Hamilton letting everything just slip away into suburban hell hole Burlington?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 9:04 PM

Years to move on new Hamilton arena too long: Bulldogs owner
(Hamilton Spectator, Scott Radley, Feb 2 2018)

Excerpt:

Quote:
It was back in November that Andlauer said he'd like to see a 5,000-to-10,000-seat arena built somewhere in town that would likely cost $60 million to $100 million.
Andlauer has had a front row view of the limitations of the facility for over 20 years, and has looked into bankrolling a new arena a fraction of that cost. This ask is likely going nowhere.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 2:20 AM

If someone wants to use their money and build an arena in Hamilton (large or small), go ahead.

If the Bulldogs want to move to another city that's offering them an arena - have a safe trip. Buh-bye.

An OHL team just isn't that important - I'd rather have taxpayer money spent on something that will truly benefit the city.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:33 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
If someone wants to use their money and build an arena in Hamilton (large or small), go ahead.

If the Bulldogs want to move to another city that's offering them an arena - have a safe trip. Buh-bye.

An OHL team just isn't that important - I'd rather have taxpayer money spent on something that will truly benefit the city.
could not agree more.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 11:27 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post

I agree about the hockey team BUT Copps Colliseum absolutely does benefit the city!!! All those sold out A-List concerts & events hosted there pumps hundreds of millions into our local economy and they create and maintain countless jobs from the trickle down effects!

We need this venue or a more modern venue of the same size and it needs to remain downtown or the city can kiss all that revenue and many jobs goodbye!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 12:24 AM

∆∆∆∆∆. THIS 100%. We should be keeping businesses that bring thousands of people downtown not thinking of ways to take them into suburbia so they can drive there and and then drive back home .... Copps should receive a Reno turning it into something along the lines of ACC in Toronto .... We depend on this venue for concerts.
Award shows and conventions ...not to mention the games

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
∆∆∆∆∆. THIS 100%. We should be keeping businesses that bring thousands of people downtown not thinking of ways to take them into suburbia so they can drive there and and then drive back home .... Copps should receive a Reno turning it into something along the lines of ACC in Toronto .... We depend on this venue for concerts.
Nah, let's throw a stadium up in suburbia for a city that will hit 1 million people before the end of its life, and likely 2 million + within easy access.

Wed much rather the majority of those people drive. Smh

I don't think people realize how important and entertainment district downtown will be as the city grows and changes.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
I agree about the hockey team BUT Copps Colliseum absolutely does benefit the city!!! All those sold out A-List concerts & events hosted there pumps hundreds of millions into our local economy and they create and maintain countless jobs from the trickle down effects!

We need this venue or a more modern venue of the same size and it needs to remain downtown or the city can kiss all that revenue and many jobs goodbye!
Hundreds of millions of dollars pumped into our local economy seems a bit high. Dont get me wrong, the events at the arena do provide an economic benefit to the downtown, but not to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. Maybe since 1985. For comparison the 2017 ccmas brought in about $8million so the 2018 probably did about the same.

Last edited by king10; Dec 4, 2018 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
The City has zero money to throw at copps to turn it into the ACC. The citys annual capital budget for ALL capital work is $250 million. Thats roads. Rec centres. Arenas. Parks. Municipal buildings. An arena like the ACC is $500 million. That isnt happening on the publics dime. The tax payer cant afford it with the multitude of other competing priorities. Not to mention the ACC was built with 100% private funding.

If there is a business case for such an arena the private sector will be all over it and can fund it with private dollars.

I do hope some sort of public private partnership materializes and that the rink is kept downtown. It needs to make financial sense for the city though. If the bulldogs owner wants to build his own rink at limeridge in partnership with cadillac fairview with no public funding then he can go right ahead.

Last edited by king10; Dec 4, 2018 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 7:59 PM

Ya I was implying that it be done privately but the city should be making it attractive to a developer and putting up a bit of a fight to keep Copps relevant ... While at the same time steering away the idea of an arena in the middle of the burbs.... Limeridge is already a zoo just imagine a game there at the same time ....

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 7:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

I saw a big Jollibee sign at Limeridge today. Looks like it'll be located near the Tesla re-charging station near the Linc.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 3:29 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I saw a big Jollibee sign at Limeridge today. Looks like it'll be located near the Tesla re-charging station near the Linc.
Can't wait... love their pineapple burger with a side of spaghetti!!!!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 11:50 PM
Ham-burgher

Never heard of this chain. I guess that makes me old

But I see they've been around a long time, and have a number of outlets in Canada with more on the way.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 1:50 PM

It's a very popular filipino fast food restaurant that has been entering the canadian market for a few years now. I haven't tried it, but there were line ups around the block for months when they opened their first restaurant in Scarborough a few years ago.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 10:09 PM

Will upload pictures when I get some time unless someone else wants to do it first. Exciting times:

https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/defaul...th-jun2022.pdf

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 6:19 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Pretty impressive, looking forward to see what all the other phases will look like!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 2:17 PM

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 5:49 PM
It's Hammer Time

Are they relocating the food court, or is it another food court? Putting the food court at the North end of a mall makes sense as it'll help the drivers get the food quicker for UberEats, Skip the Dish, etc.

I've heard rumours CF wanted the Cheesecake Factory at Limeridge much like Yorkdale.

Plus, looking at the exterior plans, it kind of looks like Yorkdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 7:22 PM

If I were to speculate, I would say the existing food court and the empty boxes once holding the the two HBC units (I believe now vacant), would become a Phase 2 element with more residential. Curious to know the transit hub details at the south end of the property.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues