HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Hamilton Grand in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 4:18 AM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I think he was referring to the DeLorean part of my post. Guess it would have been more clear if he only quoted that part.

of course, a reference to the DeLorean part. (and it's "she" )

I really like the penthouse floor plans so far. They're good 1+den/office layouts, and it makes them very versatile.

Of course, the proof's in the pudding, and I'm hopeful the final result will be those layouts well executed and integrated with the other components of the top floor.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 5:06 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
of course, a reference to the DeLorean part. (and it's "she" )
Ooops
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 5:34 AM
Needs more coffee...

no prob whatsoever.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 1:38 PM

There's Girls Here!??!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 1:25 AM

This building is now starting to clutter up MLS:

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=7884085

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 3:58 AM

great squelching!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:43 AM
Needs more coffee...

It wasn't Millstone's point, but the poorly formatted MLS ad is somewhat grating.

I can't believe people of reasonable intelligence who are trying to get a 6k-12k commission don't think of getting their secretaries (or computers) to run a spell-check and grammar-check on the ad first.

(Not any reflection on the building itself, though... perhaps the thoughtfulness with which the agents were chosen, however.)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 2:54 PM

Crappy websites - and matching horrendous spelling and grammar - seem to be pretty much the standard for most agents. It's pretty sad.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
Crappy websites - and matching horrendous spelling and grammar - seem to be pretty much the standard for most agents. It's pretty sad.
It's how I bought my current place at less than market value. Terrible out of focus pictures and no text in the listing. Sad but true!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:18 PM
BANNED

Larry Bomford was my high school English teacher. I just can't believe he went into real estate, talk about a square peg in a round hole.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:19 PM
Hammer'd

Certainly is unfortunate that they can't be bothered putting quality into the ad but if the final, physical product is of much superior quality, I'll be happy.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:07 PM
Hammer'd

Oh, also there was some kind of meeting or presentation there this morning. I noticed a bunch of people in there and coming out just before noon. Didn't see Harry, I guess he was in the back somewhere. Thought I saw Larry DiIanni though.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

^

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Now that we have officially unveiled the Hamilton Grand project, we are moving forward with the actual sales of the suites. The office will open to the public on Saturday January 31st, but prior to that time we are hold a series of private presentation seminars to explain the details and logistics of this unique building. In fact, as a direct result of input at the January 4th reception - and discussions with a large group of investor/purchasers - we have already made some improvements to the design and the presentation format (including expanding the building to 10 storeys).

The first two sessions (held at 27 John St.) are;

1. Thursday, January 22nd at 5.30 p.m.

2. Sunday, January 25th at 2 p.m.

Superior coffee (and unhealthy snacks) will be served!

The website (www.hamiltongrand.ca) has been updated recently.

A particularly useful new document is the sample Operational Budget which shows the various income streams and expenses of the hotel model.

The appeal of the Hamilton Grand condo hotel is not just as an investment, but it also can be an ideal option for active retirees (much cheaper than a retirement home, with better services, better food and a better location) or as an individual private office (the room service, housekeeping, and lobby bar are very handy features).

Feel free to call me with any questions (905-538-4808 home/office)

Harry Stinson

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 12:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

When Harry met Hamilton: the sequel

January 30, 2009
Andrew Dreschel
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/Opinions/article/504473

Harry Stinson's Hamilton Grand project has suddenly grown a heck of a lot grander.

The hotel/condo venture in the downtown core will be almost double the size and cost that Stinson originally unveiled last month.

Instead of a $10-million, six-storey, 80-suite boutique hotel on John Street, Stinson is now planning to build an 11-storey, 160-suite hotel worth about $20 million.

Stinson, once dubbed the "condo king" of Toronto, says he was encouraged to expand the project by Sunil Tulsiani, the founder of a Toronto-based private investment club, whom Stinson is now working with.

In an interview yesterday, Tulsiani said he may have influenced the ramp-up, but the idea was already in Stinson's head and heart.

"I kind of gave him the motivation."

Tulsiani, a former OPP officer and self-described self-made millionaire, has also given Stinson access to hundreds of potential investors through his club.

And Stinson is making the most of it.

On Wednesday, after a sales pitch to members of the club's Mississauga chapter, he pulled in purchasing commitments and deposits on 47 suites, which go for $199,999 apiece.

According to Tulsiani, under the non-profit club's rules, members have up to 15 days to review the deal with their lawyers and back off if they choose.

"I anticipate that maybe four or five will come back and say I don't want it," he said.

"But I anticipate that more than 40 will be firmed up and, by the end of February, I anticipate 100 units (being sold to members)."

Tulsiani says he and most of the leaders who head up the club's six chapters, five of which are based in the GTA, will also buy suites.

Meanwhile, this weekend Stinson is going to be busy pitching to the Kitchener-Waterloo and Burlington-Hamilton-Oakville chapters.

The two men seem a perfect fit: Stinson needs investors; Tulsiani needs investment opportunities to present to the 1,300 members in his club; and both men believe Hamilton's downtown is ripe for a money-making rejuvenation.

Stinson's scheme to turn the former Liaison College and Crazy Horse Saloon -- next to the Royal Connaught -- into a hotel is predicated on finding investors willing to buy a suite as a rental property and then participate in the costs and profits of running a full- service hotel.

Stinson is counting on pre- selling the suites to finance the construction.

Tulsiani, on the other hand, basically leads a private network of individual small entrepreneurs who buy real estate as an investment.

After conducting his own due diligence on projects, he presents select opportunities to members for consideration.

Tulsiani says he views every project he brings forward as both a test of his credibility and, since he invests in them personally, his money.

"If I have a gut feeling or suspicion that there is something wrong with the area, with the projections, with the people ... then I simply do not proceed."

Tulsiani sees Hamilton's downtown core as a market with "huge potential," given ongoing government investments in rail, road and properties.

Despite his legal wrangles with David Mirvish, Stinson clearly made a big splash when he moved to this community last year.

Offbeat and outspoken, he was seen by many as a breath of fresh air, an upstream swimmer in a downstream town.

The sheen faded somewhat after he failed to deliver on his plan to buy and restore the Connaught, but he remains a figure of some fascination.

His new hotel/condo plan won instant credibility through the participation of former mayor Larry Di Ianni and realtor Judy Marsales.

The question now is: Can Stinson land the Hamilton Grand or will he be written off as just another dream salesman?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 12:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 3:42 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

It's a shame that with this new investment funding, the plan couldn't have gone back to the Conaught, which will probably decay further while this new "old" building is built nearby.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 4:09 PM

Harry still has interest in the Connaught.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 4:51 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
Cool

Though surely it can't be a hotel again with the Grand next door, unless there is major demand for yet more hotel space?

Condos? Probably an answer best for the Connaught thread.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 5:35 PM

Hamilton has a severe shortage of hotels.

It's one of the reasons they can't attract large conventions or tournaments.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 6:28 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
it'll certainly be interesting to see what happens after the Grand is figured out. I don't think we've seen the last of the Harry/Connaught business either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton