HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
It would be better if these buildings were left as drawings and never built. They look like crap and completely overwhelm the lake and surrounding area.
Agreed, they do look like crap. Hideous, and uninspired.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:21 PM

Whatever do you mean, comrade. Is fine example of Soviet architecture:

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Whatever do you mean, comrade. Is fine example of Soviet architecture:

That was my first impression as well. Surely we can do better.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Construction permit has been issued for the first aria at the park building. Foundation work appears to be commencing.
Quick update, after almost a year and a half work is nearing completion on the first floor parking garage concrete walls and columns. There is usually activity on site but progress is slow. At this rate completion would honestly be the mid 2020’s. I assume once the foundation is complete one of the big form work companies will be brought in to get things moving.

These sites along with a third smaller one are up at council this week for ammendments. Sounds like it is just moving residential and commercial densities around so all three buildings have a mix.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 3:22 AM

Atlantic Developments has applied for an amendment for one of the lots to change it from a 2 story commercial to a 6 story apartment with commercial.

An article from the Herald last week on the homeowners in the neighbouring property:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...g-lake-village

Although you can never know what will happen with neighbouring properties, I'm somewhat sympathetic in this case as this couple bought the home (and would have been one of the early buyers when this development started a few years ago) based on a planned development. One 12 story apartment building is still slowly being constructed and I believe a second one is planned, both further down the street. It's just unfortunate for them that the neighbourhood they were buying into is not quite the one they are getting.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 9:18 AM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
Agreed, they do look like crap. Hideous, and uninspired.
I wonder if there's any chance the real thing will look any better than the renderings? (Rare, I realize!) I thought this company had done some other reasonably decent looking builds.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Quick update, after almost a year and a half work is nearing completion on the first floor parking garage concrete walls and columns. There is usually activity on site but progress is slow. At this rate completion would honestly be the mid 2020’s. I assume once the foundation is complete one of the big form work companies will be brought in to get things moving.
I drive by this site a couple times a week now and after almost FIVE YEARS since construction started the buildings are still nowhere near completion. There is not a bit of exterior finishing done and I honestly get a good chuckle at just how ridiculous this project is. It's a good thing it's on the edge of the city and not somewhere highly visible.

Sometime in the next few years I'll grab a construction photo of this project.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I drive by this site a couple times a week now and after almost FIVE YEARS since construction started the buildings are still nowhere near completion. There is not a bit of exterior finishing done and I honestly get a good chuckle at just how ridiculous this project is. It's a good thing it's on the edge of the city and not somewhere highly visible.

Sometime in the next few years I'll grab a construction photo of this project.
I drive by here very occasionally as well and agree the snail's pace of the "progress" is truly astounding. This pre-dates and goes well beyond the COVID issues. Is there some problem with the builder or development? Wow.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post
I drive by here very occasionally as well and agree the snail's pace of the "progress" is truly astounding. This pre-dates and goes well beyond the COVID issues. Is there some problem with the builder or development? Wow.
I'm by quite a bit as well and I would say it actually sped up (VERY relative terms) during Covid. A few years ago it was very off and on, a floor or so a year. They are now onto the second half.

I remember the developer popped into the forums a couple years ago and answered some of the criticism over the speed at which Q-Lofts was built. I believe he said he uses a different model, Q-Lofts was condo and I think he said he finances the projects himself. I think it is a smaller crew and the slower pace is what meets his plans.

In the last year though it has definitely had more attention. I think Polycorp had other projects in the Valley, maybe those crews are available here now. It is all insulated concrete forms (ICF), so a different method of building than most. At this rate, I bet the second half will be structurally completed in the next year to two. I assume the housing market has added motivation to expand the work crew.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 5:05 PM

Polycorp has indeed been doing a lot of work in Wolfville, so that is likely a factor.

Peter Poly has also been really vocal in the UARB hearings regarding the new water and wastewater charges for new development. I kind of wonder if he was hoping to have those overturned and was holding off until the UARB made a decision on those charges.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I'm by quite a bit as well and I would say it actually sped up (VERY relative terms) during Covid. A few years ago it was very off and on, a floor or so a year. They are now onto the second half.

I remember the developer popped into the forums a couple years ago and answered some of the criticism over the speed at which Q-Lofts was built. I believe he said he uses a different model, Q-Lofts was condo and I think he said he finances the projects himself. I think it is a smaller crew and the slower pace is what meets his plans.

In the last year though it has definitely had more attention. I think Polycorp had other projects in the Valley, maybe those crews are available here now. It is all insulated concrete forms (ICF), so a different method of building than most. At this rate, I bet the second half will be structurally completed in the next year to two. I assume the housing market has added motivation to expand the work crew.
Interesting. These towers are (were?) to be condos, right? Or have they converted to apartments?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Polycorp has indeed been doing a lot of work in Wolfville, so that is likely a factor.

Peter Poly has also been really vocal in the UARB hearings regarding the new water and wastewater charges for new development. I kind of wonder if he was hoping to have those overturned and was holding off until the UARB made a decision on those charges.
He's also been quite vocal in the media recently re: rental framework.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 1:32 PM

Apparently these towers will be apartment rentals rather than condos offered for sale.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 3:40 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Drove by this yesterday and they had equipment doing some sort of landscaping to the side facing Dunbrack and the north side also.... this building has not had any addition/work done on the actual building since last summer at least.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 12:32 PM

I assume there are no issues with this partial construction being basically exposed to the elements for so many years?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:24 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I have wondered about the building structure as it was quite a while before they even put in the actual windows with the wood framing all exposed.... The second tower isn't even started... how many more years will this take!?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I have wondered about the building structure as it was quite a while before they even put in the actual windows with the wood framing all exposed.... The second tower isn't even started... how many more years will this take!?
Might be ready by 2035-40 at current pace?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs