HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
The whole falls project is gonna be a game changer for Oregon City, my only wish is that people in Clackamas didn't fight the light rail so much, it would have been amazing seeing it go all the way to Oregon City. The way the Orange line is designed at the end of the line makes me think that we won't ever see the Orange extending down to Oregon City.

I will say, one thing I am jealous with when it comes to Oregon City is that I wish downtown Milwaukie had a little bit better stock of old buildings. Most of the old buildings in Milwaukie aren't that good and are all one to two stories.
From what I've heard the Park Ave parking garage was not the garage TriMet wanted, but it does have enough space on the 99E side to get two tracks past it elevated while using the third track as a temporary station, as long as the double tracks bridged over 99E for a portion of it. I didn't get to ask too many follow up questions, but apparently since the expectation would be a newer park and ride facility would be needed a station could be tied into a larger replacement garage while passing over Park Ave. Service at the existing station would be preserved by keeping the third track for that purpose until the elevated station was completed.

I will add the * that I could be completely wrong. I just was told this by a person who claimed to work for the TriMet planning department on the opening day of the Orange Line. I didn't ask for proof he worked for them, but he seemed knowledgeable enough that I listened.

He also pointed out these were just long term decisions made with no timeline in mind other than to give options to future projects if it ever came up.

Don't get me wrong, from everyone that's ever worked for or with TriMet that I know, the only two corridors likely to open in the next ten years are the SW Corridor, and the Powell/Division BRT. The BRT will probably be a situation where TriMet starts buying articulated buses for the busiest routes, and/or manages stops better to improve travel time and reliability at the least.

Unless the state or federal government decides to start handing out money for projects I'm not sure the SW corridor will happen beyond finding some queue jump places for buses on 99W with some fancier looking buses and stops.

Even if projects start getting funding again Clackamas really painted itself in a corner with the need for every rail project in the county to get a vote. Politicians don't want to allocate money to areas that might vote against the project.

TL;DR: Clackamas won't see any rail projects for a while even if money shows up, but it won't be too painful to expand what they have if they come around.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 8:46 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
From what I've heard the Park Ave parking garage was not the garage TriMet wanted, but it does have enough space on the 99E side to get two tracks past it elevated while using the third track as a temporary station, as long as the double tracks bridged over 99E for a portion of it. I didn't get to ask too many follow up questions, but apparently since the expectation would be a newer park and ride facility would be needed a station could be tied into a larger replacement garage while passing over Park Ave. Service at the existing station would be preserved by keeping the third track for that purpose until the elevated station was completed.

I will add the * that I could be completely wrong. I just was told this by a person who claimed to work for the TriMet planning department on the opening day of the Orange Line. I didn't ask for proof he worked for them, but he seemed knowledgeable enough that I listened.

He also pointed out these were just long term decisions made with no timeline in mind other than to give options to future projects if it ever came up.

Don't get me wrong, from everyone that's ever worked for or with TriMet that I know, the only two corridors likely to open in the next ten years are the SW Corridor, and the Powell/Division BRT. The BRT will probably be a situation where TriMet starts buying articulated buses for the busiest routes, and/or manages stops better to improve travel time and reliability at the least.

Unless the state or federal government decides to start handing out money for projects I'm not sure the SW corridor will happen beyond finding some queue jump places for buses on 99W with some fancier looking buses and stops.

Even if projects start getting funding again Clackamas really painted itself in a corner with the need for every rail project in the county to get a vote. Politicians don't want to allocate money to areas that might vote against the project.

TL;DR: Clackamas won't see any rail projects for a while even if money shows up, but it won't be too painful to expand what they have if they come around.
That is good to know that they could at least expend the Orange line south from its current end if need be. You are probably right, not something we will see happen for a long time, though I am more optimistic about the SW corridor light rail line happening in the near future (like 10 years or so.)

One good thing with Clackamas is that I have been noticing more and more people like me, liberals looking to settle down migrating out this way, especially to Milwaukie, that are more open to future rail projects. Plus, I do my part, I vote for anyone in Milwaukie and Clackamas that are pro development like this.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 5:45 PM

What's the latest on the Wizer Block?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 6:01 PM

9/11 Wizer Block update

20160911_090516 by Kevin Duffy-Greaves, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 4:14 PM

There's a rap video with 10 million views that it's filmed in Oregon city. It's also been in tv shows. I think it's fine without light rail, it needs more building for sure

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Transforming Lake Oswego's Wizer Block

Lots of work continues inside the buildings on the Wizer Block in downtown Lake Oswego, but it’s all of the exterior activity that is starting to transform concrete slabs into something that actually resembles apartments and retail space.

Framing is underway on the walls and roofs of the buildings along A Avenue and First Street; shiny, galvanized metal joists will span between the steel posts to make up the slopes of the roofs.

In the coming weeks, boom-and-scissor lifts will start “running around” the outside of the buildings to install exterior sheathing over the framing. Meanwhile, the building along Second Street continues to rise, and concrete work continues to form the courtyard entry off Evergreen Road on the project’s south side.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:40 AM

Anyone know why they went with such expensive construction methods for a 4-story building? Concrete slabs?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 7:36 AM

I was wondering the same thing.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Anyone know why they went with such expensive construction methods for a 4-story building? Concrete slabs?
when you live in LO you must not hear thy neighbors.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
when you live in LO you must not hear thy neighbors.
They probably cling to the hope that they can convert the units to a condo at a later date and key selling points are sound insulation and fire cells. Correct me if I'm wrong but I imagine a fire would spread much faster in a wooden building than building with each floor being partitioned off with concrete. I'm wondering why thy don't separate the units with concrete vertically as well so each unit is its own fire cell.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 11:39 PM

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 5:07 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Its probably too large for Type V construction.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 5:24 AM

Even if so, should be well within the limits of Type III-A or III-B construction.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 6:06 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
including 200 residential units, and 42,891 square feet of commercial space. A new parking garage will include parking for 430 cars, of which 135 spaces will be public parking
I'm guessing they needed the fire separation and resistance between and for the various uses and the allowable square footage. They would need at a minimum a 3-hour fire rating between the ground floor commercial and residential uses.

---------

From the application:

Quote:

Construction Type
Type I-A at P2, P1 and ground level at building B and P2, P1, ground level, level 1 and level 2 at building A and C. All areas fully fire sprinkler system per NFPA-13 with 3 hour rated structural frame and bearing walls.

Type V-A at levels 2-5 on building B and levels 4 and 5 on buildings A and C. All areas fully fire sprinkler system per NFPA-13. 5 story Type V-A construction separated from Type I-A construction by 3 hour floor assembly.

Fire suppression
The building will be provided throughout with an automatic sprinkler system per NFPA-13. Meet OSSC ch. 9 requirements for fire sprinkler and fire alarm systems.

Type Resistive requirements
Structural frame levels 1 &2: 3 hour
exterior bearing walls: 2 hour
exterior nonbearing walls: 1 hour
Demising walls between dwelling units: 1 hour (vertical and horizontal assemblies)
Floor construction (between level P1 and 1 on building B and between level 3 and 4 in buildings A and C): 3 hour separation
Floor construction (between levels 2, 3, 4 and 5 on building B and levels 4 and 5 on buildings A and C): 1 hour separation
Roof construction: NR
Exit enclosures connecting more than 4 stories: 2 hour
Shaft enclosures connecting more than 4 stories: 2 hour
Corridor fire resistance rating: 1 hour

Exit access... blah blah blah
https://www.ci.oswego.or.us/sites/de...=1492754603453

There's also a bunch of stuff on occupancy separation, and they list 5 total buildings with 433,000 SQFT (had no idea this project was that large). Their occupancy separation is 0-1 hour. That is the most confusing and convoluted fire requirements I've ever read. But I don't work on residential or mixed use projects of this size or complexity either.

Last edited by zilfondel; Apr 21, 2017 at 6:19 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 2:04 AM

Willamette Falls project to debut final concept for public riverwalk
Updated on May 31, 2017 at 5:49 PM Posted on May 31, 2017 at 5:24 PM
BY BETH NAKAMURA bnakamura@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive]

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-cit...s_project.html

Quote:
The Willamette Falls Legacy Project, a multi-phase development along the Willamette River in Oregon City, offered a sneak peek Wednesday at the final concept design for phase one of a new riverwalk.

The riverwalk's big draw will be public access to Willamette Falls, the nation's second largest waterfall, by volume. The falls have been hidden from close public view for more than 150 years.

Cost for phase one of the public-private partnership is projected to be more than $19 million, according to Tony Konkol, Oregon City city manager. The full project is expected to cost $60 million, according to a release from the partnership...(continues)...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 12:35 AM
BANNED

That's beautiful

Way better than Portlands Tom McCall waterfront. Now that's boring and stale

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 6:28 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
That's beautiful

Way better than Portlands Tom McCall waterfront. Now that's boring and stale
I agree that these renderings are beautiful, but insulting Waterfront Park shows ignorance and foolishness, especially when referring to it as "stale" as if it's supposed to put on a show. Oh, wait. It is, in fact, currently putting on a show that will be but the first of many, all summer long.

Do you realize how versatile Waterfront Park is, or how much use it gets? Tom McCall Waterfront Park is an absolute jewell, and we should consider ourselves lucky to have it.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I agree that these renderings are beautiful, but insulting Waterfront Park shows ignorance and foolishness, especially when referring to it as "stale" as if it's supposed to put on a show. Oh, wait. It is, in fact, currently putting on a show that will be but the first of many, all summer long.

Do you realize how versatile Waterfront Park is, or how much use it gets? Tom McCall Waterfront Park is an absolute jewell, and we should consider ourselves lucky to have it.
enthusiastic thumbs up for this response.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 6:02 PM

West Linn Paper Company will close after 128 years

Quote:
West Linn Paper Company, the city’s sole industrial business and a staple of the community for 128 years, is shutting its doors.

The company announced Monday, Oct. 16, in a press release that is ceasing operations and “will commence a winding up of its business” on a timetable that has yet to be specified.

(continues below...)
http://koin.com/2017/10/16/west-linn...acebook_KOIN_6

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Wizer to Windward: almost done
Work continues inside and out at The Windward, a new mixed-use development in downtown Lake Oswego

Crews are expected to wrap up construction of a new sidewalk along the A Avenue side of The Windward on Friday — good news for downtown motorists who've had to squeak past the mixed-use project for a couple of weeks.

Another sign that the development is working its way toward completion: Project officials are talking to restoration experts now about how to mount the Wizer Block's historic tile murals near the entrance to public parking, and to the Arts Council about selecting the pieces that will be placed along pedestrian walkways.

Those details are just the latest phase of a project that has been underway since late 2015. When it is completed in the first quarter of 2018, The Windward will include 200 residential units, almost 42,000 square feet of commercial space and parking for 430 cars, of which 135 spaces will be for public parking.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon