HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 8:40 PM

Census tract 132.06 did not exist in 2001, and in 2021 the population was 13,013.
The growth of families in the Bedford West area is striking. Much of the development off Hammonds Plains Road is the result of George Armoyan acquiring many old long and 100 feet wide lots in the late 1980's and into the 1990's. The growth in the area is without parallel in HRM and the increase in families has resulted in headaches for the education system in HRM. This growth in population will continue for many years and is the main reason for locating a new fire station and fire HQ in the area - the fire chief gave council a detailed explanation a year ago of the challenges of responding to a fire in the area.

Last edited by Colin May; Mar 14, 2023 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks like some progress is happening on the NFB and Tramway projects. The upper floors of the Tramway don't really look like the glass box in the renderings, but I'm mostly curious about what kind of restoration work will be done on the old structure.

Source

Source

If and when Skye happens it'll appear in that second shot. The Sackville streetscape is getting pretty impressive.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I was seeing a lot of commercial space listing for the Roy a while ago but I no longer see them. I wonder if anything has changed?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I was seeing a lot of commercial space listing for the Roy a while ago but I no longer see them. I wonder if anything has changed?
The Roy is really baffling to me. The downtown retail/storefront market appears to be quite healthy, but the Roy storefronts are a strange exception. No signs of life. It really does leave a big empty hole for a big stretch.

As to the NFB and Tramway buildings, yes, they've been making more visible progress this winter. I'm hoping the detailing on the Tramway's street-level facade gets restored; it looks to me like there maybe has been some work already, but it could stand to get some more love. Restoring the columns at roof level will make a big difference, of course.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 8:00 PM

I didn't realize (or remember) that the Tramway was part of those new upper additions on the NFB.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I didn't realize (or remember) that the Tramway was part of those new upper additions on the NFB.
It isn't. They are two separate buildings that aren't adjacent to one another.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:19 AM

Trouble in downtown offices - long term or short term ?
Will Halifax be similar to Toronto and what is the impact on pension plans who have significant investments in office towers ?
" On an afternoon last month in Toronto’s financial district, one of the subterranean food courts was packed.

It was one of those days when the country’s financial capital resembled prepandemic office life. There were lineups for fast-food chains such as Jimmy the Greek that snaked through the rows of tables. Groups of office workers moved through the halls. Trendy restaurants were full.

That was a Thursday, just after noon. It’s a different story on Mondays and Fridays, when hardly anyone is in the office and retailers are mostly empty. After three years of working from home, a new pattern has taken hold: three days in the office, Tuesday to Thursday.

“No one is here on Monday and Friday,” said Sheila Popo, owner of accessory store Necessities, one of the tens of thousands of retailers in Toronto’s downtown hub.

Ms. Popo said her clients come to the office one to two days a week and tell her they “have no plans to go back” to five days a week.

She laid off her full-time employees in mid-March of 2020 and has never rehired them because her sales are 50-per-cent below prepandemic levels. She cut back how long her store is open by three hours a day."
" Foot traffic in downtown Toronto is about 40 per cent of prepandemic levels, according to the most recent reading from Avison Young’s vitality index, which measures cellphone pings throughout the downtown core. "
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...work/#comments

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:23 AM

They have not replaced the grill on the corner window.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 3:35 AM

The BYoung development on Bayers and Young, near Oxford, is progressing. There was never a thread made for it but here's the link to the application renderings:
https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...s_Redacted.pdf

According to the Split Rock Properties Facebook site the apartments and townhouses on the Young Street side are now leasing for June occupancy. Their website has the rental rates starting at $2100 for a one bedroom and up.
https://splitrockproperties.ca/byoung

The larger building on Bayers Road still has a ways to go.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 12:54 PM

The BYoung development seems very undersized, at least the Bayers Rd component.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 5:17 PM

I feel like I've posted in every thread today. The last update for today;

There is a building permit submitted for the former Christian Library site at South Park Street & Inglis Street. This is all of the information that I have;

1018 SOUTH PARK STREET - $12'000'000 - Mixed Use - Residential & Other Use(s) - Residential Use - 55 Units - 8 Storeys - This is currently a vacant lot which will be developed into a eight story, 55 unit, residential building with a commercial unit on the ground floor and one underground level of parking.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I feel like I've posted in every thread today. The last update for today;
Dare I say you make my day! So nice to settle down on a Sunday and see the big list of things to view

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 1:44 PM

A bit of a fluff article, but interesting nonetheless.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/en...ion-in-halifax

Quote:
Halifax will soon be home to the tallest wall of solar panels in North America.

The renewable energy source is now being installed as part of a retrofit on the side of the Loyola residence building at St. Mary's University in Halifax.

"It's not something we were aiming for, to be the biggest and the best, it just happened," facilities management senior director Dennis Gillis told The Weather Network.

Engineers at St. Mary’s started looking at the integrity of the concrete façade of the 50-year-old building two years ago and determined it needed to be replaced. The school was hoping to integrate sustainable elements when they discovered that solar panel siding was an option.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 12:18 AM

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 5:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I posted these in the Canada section. Google Maps 3D imagery from 2016 vs. Google Earth satellite imagery from 2022:

Gottingen

Spring Garden Road

Downtown

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 5:54 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This part of SGR looks very complete now with almost no parking lots and medium density throughout (except Artillery Park). The density there is about on par with the inner core of a medium sized European city. The pace of development might slow down there, but pick up farther west, due to a lack of development sites.

In the other shots there are some old lots that had proposals for many years, like Skye or the Navy Lane site. The Staples on Gottingen will stand out more and more as underdeveloped.

Impossible to say what will happen in the future but so far the development pace now is as fast or faster than it was from 2016-2022.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 9:06 PM

Quote:
This part of SGR looks very complete now with almost no parking lots and medium density throughout (except Artillery Park). The density there is about on par with the inner core of a medium sized European city. The pace of development might slow down there, but pick up farther west, due to a lack of development sites.

In the other shots there are some old lots that had proposals for many years, like Skye or the Navy Lane site. The Staples on Gottingen will stand out more and more as underdeveloped.

Impossible to say what will happen in the future but so far the development pace now is as fast or faster than it was from 2016-2022.
The old Texpark lot sure sticks out in these images

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 9:15 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
The old Texpark lot sure sticks out in these images
I am worried it will soon count as old growth forest and they won't be allowed to develop. Maybe they will find some rare species of frog there, the bullhorn brigade will show up, and development on the peninsula will be banned.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I am worried it will soon count as old growth forest and they won't be allowed to develop. Maybe they will find some rare species of frog there, the bullhorn brigade will show up, and development on the peninsula will be banned.
No, it will be permitted, but if Couns. Cleary, Mason and Austin get their way, building materials will only be allowed to be transported to such sites by bicycle-based transportation or buses since they want to ban motor vehicles from the peninsula.

I could not believe Cleary ran his mouth again this week on the subject of banning motor vehicles. How do clowns like him get re-elected?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
No, it will be permitted, but if Couns. Cleary, Mason and Austin get their way, building materials will only be allowed to be transported to such sites by bicycle-based transportation or buses since they want to ban motor vehicles from the peninsula.

I could not believe Cleary ran his mouth again this week on the subject of banning motor vehicles. How do clowns like him get re-elected?
"The people get the government they deserve."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth