HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 7:19 PM

ohhh really...cool

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 10:30 PM

Received the following from WDCL today via email. Previously they had been refusing to extend beyond the end of June.

"Marine Park parkers please note passes are being renewed to the end ofSeptember 2009. A minimum of 30 days notice will be provided should termination of parking agreements be required prior to September."

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 12:19 AM

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Salter and Bishop's Landing sites are already largely fill -- originally there would have been wharves on the east side of Lower Water Street.
There is a lot of infill along water street. For example the north east corner of 1801 Hollis street is actually a pile foundation.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZulu View Post
Received the following from WDCL today via email. Previously they had been refusing to extend beyond the end of June.

"Marine Park parkers please note passes are being renewed to the end ofSeptember 2009. A minimum of 30 days notice will be provided should termination of parking agreements be required prior to September."
Well one can hope that that means construction is imminent come September!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 5:23 PM

Yesterday

They're in the process of putting up this fence. So it leads me to believe that this will be open very shortly. And hopefully it also means that work can get underway on this half of the site after the boardwalk is open again.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 11:54 PM

Just FYI

Was out for a run tonight and had the pleasure of running on the newly opened stretch of boardwalk. I didn't get out yesterday, but I'm assuming it was open for Canada Day.

Anyway, great view to the mouth of the harbour.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 3:20 PM

Great news! I'll hopefully get to check it out this weekend.
Now all we need is for the action to continue on the site and have a crane there by next summer!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 2:53 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZulu View Post
Just FYI

Was out for a run tonight and had the pleasure of running on the newly opened stretch of boardwalk. I didn't get out yesterday, but I'm assuming it was open for Canada Day.

Anyway, great view to the mouth of the harbour.
I was out there today as well! You may have seen me out taking photos haha

it really is quite a nice addition to the boardwalk and really gives you a good perspective on how big the development is going to be when you're out on it looking back on the lot.

Can't wait!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 3:29 AM

I was down there this eve...its really neat how it seems like its out in the harbour a bit...but not for long hopefully Salters block development gets going soon.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I was out there today as well! You may have seen me out taking photos haha

it really is quite a nice addition to the boardwalk and really gives you a good perspective on how big the development is going to be when you're out on it looking back on the lot.

Can't wait!
I probably did, since joining this forum I tend to notice a lot more people when I'm out, usually taking pictures of holes in the ground, or vacant lots, and other things that almost no one else would take pictures of......I would guess we're all pretty easy to spot at times.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 1:23 AM

there is news in allnovascotia.com regarding the development.

There is talk about deadlines and possible use it or lose it situation.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 1:34 AM

Hmmm...this could be good...or bad....

it could spark a fire under medjuk's ass,
and actually get this movin'....

or if it is canceled, and the whole process is started over it could be many, many years before a new proposal is selected
developed and completed.....

on the other hand, I am surprised the WDCL actually had the kahunas to play hardball...at this rate, they may break their 1 development per 20 years stratagy.....

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 1:39 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I've been wondering about this development.. haven't heard much news in a long time and I have no clue what its status is, although the boardwalk construction seemed like a good sign.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 1:46 AM

Quote:
I've been wondering about this development.. haven't heard much news in a long time and I have no clue what its status is, although the boardwalk construction seemed like a good sign.
yeah i am not suprised to hear there is delays and wdcl is concerned.
Time will tell as i am sure there is a date that is make or break.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 2:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

If the delay is financing then it seems that changing developers wouldn't help much right now..?

Isn't this a rental project as well? It seems like there would be plenty of demand for a development like this given the waterfront location and scarcity of similar projects.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 9:59 AM

Quote:
If the delay is financing then it seems that changing developers wouldn't help much right now..?

Isn't this a rental project as well? It seems like there would be plenty of demand for a development like this given the waterfront location and scarcity of similar projects.
Getting money for hotels is on the verge of imposible to be honest.

Yeah there is a rental porition to this, but who knows, maybe the pricing isn't realistic with todays economy.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 6:15 PM

Developments on the waterfront
Colin MacLean has been at the helm of the Waterfront Development Corp. Ltd. in Halifax for just over a year and brings an infectious passion to the job.
By BILL POWER Business Reporter | Five Questions
Mon. Sep 14 - 4:46 AM

Q: The Waterfront Development Corp. is often associated with large-scale projects like the $2.7-million boardwalk extension at the foot of Salter Street in Halifax. But much of the provincial Crown corporation’s work involves smaller undertakings such as the recently completed Dartmouth Harbourwalk. How does the entire metro region benefit from this modest project?

A: In Dartmouth we’re expanding the trail system that exists between the two ferries. The project highlights one of the principles of good waterfront development and this is to maximize public access to the water’s edge. It’s a really nice grassroots piece of work because it involves the Dartmouth Trails Association, Shubenacadie Canal Commission, Alderney Gate and the Downtown Dartmouth Business Commission. It’s expanding the trail system between the two ferries so that this city is going to have the opportunity for visitors to travel across the ferry, walk to downtown Dartmouth, cross back on the other ferry and walk the boardwalk. It is really a nice circular route. The focal point is the beautiful ($300,000) pedestrian bridge across the canal. It’s a nice, long elegant bridge that brings together so much of the history of the area

Q: The Bedford-Mill Cove area has much of its waterfront infrastructure in place and the WDC owns land in the area. What’s next for this part of the urban waterfront?

A: Together with HRM we have been working with a local community group called the Vision Implementation Committee. This is a group of volunteers who have dedicated their time for over two years now to develop a vision of what they want the waterfront to be in Bedford. We co-invested with HRM $200,000 for a comprehensive study. We should be finished early in the next calendar year. It’s involved a lot of consultation and community workshops. What it’s going to do is take the vision from the local community and put something in place to attract public and private investment to help make it a reality. We’re trying to attract developers, and what comes with this is the money required to support the desired public amenities.

Q: The recession has many people wondering about the status of the $80-million-range Salter Street development to be built by Ralph Medjuck’s Centennial Group Ltd. What role, if any, is the WDC playing in encouraging this project?

A: We’re working right now with the developer and we’re pretty sure there will be an announcement in the fall. We’re urging him to move forward but we have to recognize the current financial environment. I think we’ll know in very short order what the timeline for that project is going to be.

Q: Can you tell us something we don’t know about the Halifax waterfront?

A: To the best of our knowledge, the Halifax waterfront has the largest timber-frame boardwalk on an urban waterfront in the world. But more significantly, this is a real working harbour. This is not like a visit to Disneyland. Everything here is real. Visitors can get up close to the tugs and take in all the activity. Our hope is that the working waterfront concept can be extended to Lunenburg so the waterfront there will have four seasons of activity.

Q: What do you think the WDC will be up to five years from now?

A: The ocean literacy movement is gaining ground around the world and Halifax and Lunenburg, with their waterfronts, have the potential to be right in the middle of things. When we start talking about Nova Scotia taking full advantage of its coastal environment, it is easy to get excited thinking about potential of undeveloped features like Georges and McNabs islands. Hopefully, Georges Island will be open and accessible as a part of the national park system in five years, with many links to the waterfront.

( bpower@herald.ca)

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 4:34 PM

Parking in the Marine Park lot has been extended until December 2009, in case anyone was wondering.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 8:39 PM
we built this city

I don't see this one starting until the powerplant renovation is complete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth