HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 9:00 PM

Had some time to kill today, so incase anyone was wondering approx ten minutes to drive one of those pilings in, then about fifteen mins to cut that one off and reset with a new one ready to start again.

A little worthless info to take up storage space in the brain..... If I get really bored I may go try to count the remaining pilings lying in the parking lot and try to estimate a completion date..... Apparently I have too much time on my hands LOL

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 9:26 PM

^That sounds like something I'd do if I was bored and lived in town. My neighbourhood just isn't for construction addicts

Have the progressed very far northwards?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZulu View Post
Had some time to kill today, so incase anyone was wondering approx ten minutes to drive one of those pilings in, then about fifteen mins to cut that one off and reset with a new one ready to start again.

A little worthless info to take up storage space in the brain..... If I get really bored I may go try to count the remaining pilings lying in the parking lot and try to estimate a completion date..... Apparently I have too much time on my hands LOL
You must work for the government...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 4:51 AM

I walked by today and most of the main structure about half way up the north side is done.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 11:43 PM

I drove down this way and took some photos, unfortunately I had my camera set on a lower setting so the pictures are smaller. When I was walking through the parking lot I realized how large the site is, the last two photos sort of show it.

Pile-driving barge:

Stockpile of materials:

Current progress:

Remaining site:

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 11:56 PM

^Looking good!

I was down on the Seaport just browsing this weekend and I noticed the boardwalk continues all the way down to Pier 21 with no gaps of rock or pavement down there. Does anyone know if once this is work is done the entire boardwalk will be actual boards or is there still gaps in spots?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 12:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I believe that this part is the only gap in the boardwalk between Purdy's or so (some parts might be concrete around there) and Pier 21. I've heard it claimed that this is the longest continuous wooden boardwalk. That seems unlikely given the gap but possible once they are connected.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 12:59 AM
we built this city

This development plus the powerstation will revitalize that area.

I hope that when the weather gets nice things get kicked into gear a bit... there is always a ton of development news in the summer.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 1:16 AM

^Don't forget the Farmer's Market as well.

If these three all get underway this summer it will be a little beehive of construction down there.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^Don't forget the Farmer's Market as well.

If these three all get underway this summer it will be a little beehive of construction down there.
It seems this is the only one that is up in the air, the other two are a go.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You must work for the government...
HAHA!!! poor gov't workers lol

with regards to the boardwalk being continuous once this is complete, I think there might still be a very shot dirt/gravel section from the south end of the bishops lot by where the little marina the put in is that goes along the bottom and up the side of the parking lot next to the power station, then it turns back to wood.

As I type this I am second guessing myself, so i'll go check it out tomorrow

btw nice pics kph06

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 3:25 AM

Yes, you are correct Bravo Zulu. And then if there are a few areas up around and past the ferry terminal that are not wooden as well. No more gravel, but still not wooden either.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 2:42 AM

I wandering around town today and it was so nice I couldn't resist taking this. I want to appologize for the crap quality. It took it with my cam. Maybe I'll get out soon now that its nicer out with my real cam.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 3:01 AM

^Well at least that picture proves the Maritime Centre never had a shadow study done

So they are about what half way up the section so far? I guess if they work at a good pace they could have it back open by tourist season.

Man, I don't even know if I can wait for the ground to thaw so we can get some activity going on. Someone whos been on this forum might know this but when do Spring projects usually start construction around here?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:42 PM
we built this city

Usually April, but with this winter it might be late April/early May. With delays some don't get kicked off until June/July and then only get partially completed before we are back to winter.

What is going on with Waterton? it looks like they haven't made any progress on the cladding of the first building since the fall.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Man, I don't even know if I can wait for the ground to thaw so we can get some activity going on. Someone whos been on this forum might know this but when do Spring projects usually start construction around here?
Depends on the work but late April early May is a usual time for municipal work which is in the final planning stages now so it can go as soon as possible. April-May is when all the big contractors hire all their laid-off crews. I think building construction is a bit different, they go more year round, so once the planning and financing is done they can start when they want, but groundwork and servicing is preferably done in the spring-fall months.

As for this site the proximity to the water is a problem. The site will need to be shored all the way around so it can be excavated without the harbor flowing in and the soil will need to be reinforced as the material is the same as the stuff hauled out of Bishops Landing. The area isn't suitable for a building as is because there is a lot of organic material like old trees, and a lot of rubble from the explosion was plowed in, so that has to be removed and replaced with proper fill. So it will take a while to get out of the ground with this one, and once the parking garage is built, it will have to be tested for water tightness before it gets built on.

As for the Waterton, the precast paneling has been done since the summer, but the top 2 floors on the north side, and the elevator shaft still need their cladding which I assume will be metal. They've had a small mobile crane on site for a month or two now, but it looks like its mostly interior work.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 3:06 PM

It seems to me that a lot of major projects in this city normally start excavation over the summer so that they start pouring foundations in the fall so that those can be done or at least off the ground by the time the ground freezes. Mind you kph06 has a good point. This will be different due to its proximity to the water.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 12:20 AM

Some of the dozens of photos I took of this today;

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 9:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Great to see that progressing. I really hope the development for that site can move forward soon - it would be huge for both the waterfront and the downtown, just like Bishop's Landing was. It would really pull things together into more of a district rather than buildings in a sea of parking lots.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 2:14 AM

I talked to Medjuck last night at the information session for his Barrington tower and he said this one is still going ahead. They have just been caught up in some issues with the WDCL. I also got the impression that it might be built in phases and that the hotel phase would be the final phase.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth