HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 12:26 AM

Here we go again...
They can't even get their **** together, they already changed their idea regarding Highway 11 and or can't even get their facts straight.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Posted by bluenoser in the Rural Development Thread:

The new configuration for the divided Route 1 bypass around Windsor NS. Also designed for mitigation of sea level rise.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

NS 1 or NS 101? Things are flipped between NS and NB.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
NS 1 or NS 101? Things are flipped between NS and NB.
Probably both. I think the photo shows the old alignment, with the new Highway 101 alignment adjacent to it.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 5:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Probably both. I think the photo shows the old alignment, with the new Highway 101 alignment adjacent to it.
It looks like it too.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 6:34 PM

https://twitter.com/Gov_NB/status/1121109505943564288

Looks like it's time for New Brunswick to upgrade this section of Highway to mitigate flooding impacts.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Looks like it's time for New Brunswick to upgrade this section of Highway to mitigate flooding impacts.
Couple of sandbags should fix the problem.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 6:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's all part of Blaine Higgs evil plan to permanently reroute the TCH though SJ.........

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It's all part of Blaine Higgs evil plan to permanently reroute the TCH though SJ.........
Oh lord dont start that now 😂

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 7:23 PM

More seriously, I wonder if it's time to take action? 2 10-year floods back to back is a bit concerning.

Seems to me that we probably need to raise the TCH between the two bridges by about a metre to properly flood-proof the route. Likely it won't be done any year soon, unless they have to do some major work on the highway.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 8:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I remember when they raised the roadbed for the TCH across the Tantramar Marsh from Sackville to Aulac. That was a 2-3 year project. This will not be an easy thing to accomplish.

They really should have kept the route south of the Saint John River and done the crossing south of Jemseg (and north of Gagetown). Too late now..........

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post

More seriously, I wonder if it's time to take action? 2 10-year floods back to back is a bit concerning.

Seems to me that we probably need to raise the TCH between the two bridges by about a metre to properly flood-proof the route. Likely it won't be done any year soon, unless they have to do some major work on the highway.
The bad thing is that when they rebuilt that section of the TCH as part of the twinning of the highway, they made it significantly higher than the other road, to prevent this kind of thing. No one predicted water levels to rise this high, I guess.

I have property in Coles Island that I wouldn't mind checking on this weekend. I don't know if I can use the TCH from Riverglade to get to the Young's Cove exit, or if I have to go through Sussex. The highway isn't affected by the flooding until Jemseg, which is well past where my property is. Is local traffic allowed to use it? The signs only say "Road Closed Ahead".

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 11:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm pretty sure local traffic can get through. The barricade is mostly intended for through traffic on the way to central Canada.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 11:42 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Now that I come to think of it, what will be the best way to protect TCH (plus its detour route) and the rail tracks through the isthmus?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Now that I come to think of it, what will be the best way to protect TCH (plus its detour route) and the rail tracks through the isthmus?
Are you talking down at the NS/NB border? Raising the road and rail beds and building dykes on either side (to protect from erosion) is likely the only real solution. Maybe for the lowest points they could build bridges; but just piling more dirt is likely the only practical solution.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 12:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I assume he's referring to the Tantramar Marsh too.

It's a very real issue that people are aware of but governments have not been willing to tackle (yet). This is foolhardy.

1) - there is no detour route. There is an alternate roadway up by Port Elgin connecting to the Sunrise Trail in NS, but in places this is not much more than a cart path and does not conveniently connect to the TCH on either end. This is not an option.

2) - A breach in the dykes protecting the CNR mainline and the TCH is inevitable. There was a flooding event several years ago which nearly topped the existing (100 year old) dyke system. If it had failed, the only thing that would have prevented the TCH from flooding would have been the CNR embankment, and it wasn't really designed to hold back the ocean. The next time we may not be so lucky.

Something needs to be done - soon.........

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 4:55 PM

@Gov_NB

1 hour ago

The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure advises that Route 2 between Moncton and Fredericton is now open to traffic. Drive with caution and obey posted speed limits. Check @brunswick511 for up to date information on ramp and lane re-openings.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 5:31 PM

Here is an interesting article from Ontario regarding Hwy11. It mentions a highway system Sweden employs which has reduced traffic deaths by 70%. It uses a 2+1 system where a centre passing lane alternates between traffic directions the entire route. There is also a centre divider to prevent vehicles from crossing into oncoming traffic. The communities along the rte are in favour of the system and are trying to convince the government to look into it.

I have said all along that Hwy 11 in NB could be easily converted into a similar configuration a much less cost compared to fully dividing it all the way to Chatham.

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/h...e-told-1436578

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 1:10 AM

That system could also work well along Route 7 within CFB Gagetown where the ROW is very small and animal fencing is already in place.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 8:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
That system could also work well along Route 7 within CFB Gagetown where the ROW is very small and animal fencing is already in place.
Is it expensive to move those fences around?

Also, just out of sheer curiosity, if NB-7 ever needs to be twinned from Oromocto to Saint John, do you guys prefer 4 lanes with a median barrier (aka adding an extra lane on the suggested 2+1 configuration) or with a wide median (aka straight up twinning)?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces