HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It still annoys me that everything is discussed in the context of serving Bedford and then ideas like LRT are dismissed. Bedford doesn't have the population to support its own light rail line but there are definitely areas in the HRM which do have the densities - namely the peninsula and Clayton Park, which could have been much better if it were more sensibly designed.

I was just on the SkyTrain 20 minutes ago and it passes through many areas that are no more densely built up than parts of Halifax. It has about 70 km of track, some underground. I find it really hard to believe that Vancouver can support that, streetcars, electric trolleys, and a vastly superior bus service while Halifax can't even handle one small LRT line. Vancouver's larger for sure, but the other part of the puzzle is that it has more direction and better priorities. Vancouver's transit is far more expensive per capita and TransLink is in far worse financial shape than Metro Transit but they are nevertheless focused on expansion and providing high-level service. In Halifax the focus is on what can't be done and the system is so poor that the only ones who use it are the ones who have no other choice.
Well said. Public Transit Agencies are not there to turn a profit, but to make a city more desirable, accessible and efficient.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 9:19 PM

Lmao.

I'm not going to post what he said since it is in a private email but apparently Outhit saw Someone123's post and disagrees greatly on the use of LRT.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 9:35 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Lmao.

I'm not going to post what he said since it is in a private email but apparently Outhit saw Someone123's post and disagrees greatly on the use of LRT.
Well then I don't think theres any changing his mind. But the dayliners their looking into are better than nothing, and is a step in the right direction I suppose.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 12:11 AM

I was in contact with Councillor Outhit again and he has asked me to post his reasoning behind supporting dayliners and not LRT at the moment. The following is his wording;

"LRT requires separate tracks from the CN rails and a buffer between the two separate lines of tracks. So, you could say that CN doesn't allow Smart Cars on their equivalent of an 18 wheelers only highway.

LRT tracks cost tens of millions of dollars per km. Dayliners can use the existing CN rails and have some of the stop and go functionality of LRT, and much more flexibility than the heavy rail GO Train approach.

Plus, the existing tracks go further than we could reasonably hope to be able to afford to build for separate LRT. Thus, this extending out much further to a larger population base and more potential riders. Remember, NS's entire population is less than 50% of greater Vancouver's."

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 12:34 AM
Honored Member

I have to admit my ignorance with regards to dayliners. I Google'd it and came up with the image below. If this is the system that is being talked about it then it seems like a reasonable approach. It is somewhere in between LRT and the heavy rail GO system.

Last edited by fenwick16; Jan 30, 2010 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 1:28 AM
Urban Thinker

One idea that I have is to combine two of the ideas that seem to be floating around.
You could completley eliminate the seaport in the south end (Yes, grain elevators and all) and move operations to somwhere else, which would free up that land for a large mixed-use development, which could include a commuter rail station. The elimination of the seaport would also give a lot more flexibility in when these trains could operate, only sharing the rail cut with VIA Rail rather than VIA aswell as CN.

I know it will probably never happen, but you have to have something to hope for.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Then he's an idiot and spends too much time listening to the anti-LRT transit planning department.

Quote:
"LRT requires separate tracks from the CN rails and a buffer between the two separate lines of tracks. So, you could say that CN doesn't allow Smart Cars on their equivalent of an 18 wheelers only highway.
No, it doesn't. LRT vehicles can be built to the same track gauge as heavy rail, and it can operate just fine on the same tracks as long as the required time separation is maintained. All it would require here is coordination with freight and VIA passenger services, and probably updated signaling.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 2:57 AM

move hal term in the south end, and fairview to magazine hill.

Therefore Halterm can be the south station location, and fairview the north.

Distrubtion from fairview or the South station could be by bus.

oh wait, that type of idea would only happen in a city with a leader with vision.............

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 4:51 AM

A few thoughts. The real problem with the argument that "we have the tracks lets use them" is we don't actually, the tracks are CNs and CN is a tough as nails corporation. They are not interested in taking on any liability whatsoever. Just look at the lengths they're going to minimize risk at train crossings. I did some work as part of my planning degree that involved the rail cut and the reality is CN is just not going to play ball with anything that adds singificant risk. That means you can either run trains that fit their standards or negotiate to use whatever space they have leftover in their right of way. It's unfortunate, but that's the reality.

As for moving the port, great idea in the long-term. It's sitting on very valuable land and getting in and out of it is logistically difficult for traffic. The problem is where do you move it? You can't move it up the basin since half the ports potential competitiveness compared to places like New York is the harbour is unobstructed so it can take the biggest ships. New York is seriously considering raising the Bayonne Bridge because it's too low for big ships to get under and the Verrazano Narrows Bridge poses potential future limits as well. If we moved the port up to Magazine Hill we would lose that edge because the two bridges would be in the way! Maybe we could find room on the Dartmouth side near the refineries/Shearwater. They already have decent rail and highway access over there. Would be a heck of a better spot from a transportation point of view and would free up valuable land on the Peninsula. Too bad it would cost a fortune.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 1:45 PM
Urban Thinker

Jonathan Norwood wrote in today's Herald about redeveloping Halterm. Unfortunaly I couldn't find the story online, but it's good to see that we're not the only visionary people in this city.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 11:52 AM
You talkin' to me?

Commuter rail for Bedford back in consideration

By JASON TEAKLE
Fri. Feb 12 - 4:54 AM

The commuter rail transit option has been put back on the table for Bedford residents.

The strategic transportation planning branch of Halifax Regional Municipality is looking at three public transit options for the area: commuter rail, a fast ferry and MetroLink bus routes.

The study is separate from Metro Transit’s five-year transit plan passed in principle earlier this week by regional council’s committee of the whole.

"Commuter rail was not part of the regional (five-year plan)," said David McCusker, manager of strategic transportation planning with HRM.

"We had a request from council to include (rail service) in the consideration (for Bedford) so it was added as a later thing, making some additional work."

The addition of the commuter rail option will delay the release of the study’s findings.

The results were to be released sometime in March, but McCusker said it will likely be May or June before the study is complete.

A 1996 commuter rail study commissioned by the Halifax Metropolitan Authority in response to a proposal made by CN and Via to the town of Bedford, and then-mayor Peter Kelly, was thrown out because the fee CN wanted to charge for using their line and the amount Via wanted to charge to operate commuter trains were too expensive.

McCusker said while there is nothing major for Bedford in the five-year plan produced by Metro Transit, the area is a priority for better transit service after 2015 because more growth will occur in the south and west parts of the community and increased transit capacity will be needed.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 11:36 PM

The Dayliner idea is interesting, and I've never been a huge fan of using the existing rail cut. At the least it deserves study, it's a new idea and could provide a unique service to an underserviced area.

Everyone assumes there is only one option to serve Bedford - is it necessarily ferry vs. rail vs. Link vs. conventional bus? Why couldn't a number of these ideas work and provide more options for commuters in Bedford? Is it good service people are concerned about or what mode of transportation gets implemented. Rail is not inherently superior to bus rapid transit or ferry and vice versa.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 7:31 PM

I'm loving this discussion and I think that its great that one of the councillors from HRM is reading this. So I really want to kick this discussion up a notch and get a discussion going.

First, I hate to kybosh someone's thoughts, but someone123 - LRT doesn't work in rail. I have friends with Calgary Transit and they couldn't use the CP rail because the trains are usually powered with a 3rd rail (on the side) for power, or in the case of Calgary Transit, overheard power lines. Plus the gauge of track is different. But, I'm going to post something seperately about LRT - because i don't think it should be discounted - just not with regular rail.

So when I was doing my degree, I did had to do a regional planning exercise and I was the transportation guy - the issues I figured out with rail were mainly that it didn't get you into the downtown. So in order for rail to work, three things had to be achieved (IMO):
1) Commuting time had to be more competative than auto (so 40 minutes or less);
2) The cost had to reasonable in terms of other forms of transit and the cost to park downtown (so slightly higher than say a regular bus, but not astronomical);
3) Provide a seemless connection into downtown (either through a direct route or by no more than 1 connection) that allowed quick changes - so off the train, to a bus and to your destination without waiting; and
4) Didn't incomber CN's trains (since they owned the line).

So then you have to look at what are the major employers on the Peninsula: Downtown office towers, the universities and the hospitals. So your focus should be mainly on getting people from the train to these three places. The first step of that plan is happening now - with the free downtown bus route proposed. That can be one piece of the puzzle, so the train comes in but instead of just one bus being there, there are several - incase one gets full. But there is a seemless connection. Then have another route going from the train station to the universities and hospitals. So say up south street, left @ South Park, Right onto Inglis, then right onto Robie, and end just behind the QE on summer street by the Museum. The return route would be similar during the PM rush. So, if you get on in Bedford - you'd get off at the Train Station, jump on the Hospital University Bus, get off and go to work.

As to the route; that's where I get really 'pie in the sky'. Yes a route to Bedford is important, but what would be the stopping points? Well obviously the Via station (lets call it Waterfront or Central Station - something interesting), Mumford (could be another connection point to the hospitals/university), but the big one for me is Bayers Road. Bayers Road is where the Chester Spur is and has huge potential. This is where I get (probably) controversial - I think you'd need to expropriate the Superstore and here is why: I don't think you limit rail to Bedford. The burbs are growing, so use the chester spur too. So Bayers Road could be the point where both lines come together and then go downtown - so you'd have double service from the Waterfront to Bayers Road, but then each line would go in it's seperate ways from there. Plus, if you build a huge station there - you could sell back the remaining land to Superstore under the catch that they build higher density there - so they can have their store, but towers have to be above it. That could then spur more office growth at the Village and some of the small apts on Desmond could grow up (say 5 stories).

So from there, you have a stop at Rockingham (for the Mount); then Chinatown (since there is talk of high density there), Mill Cove and then Downsview.

I look at an expropriation behind the mall - so that you could build a terminal off the mainline there. Then you could add more offices there, plus Downsview could be a spur point for another line (I'll mention in a minute). Then the last station could be at Windsor Junction (near Cobequid Road) with potential expansion out to the airport.

But why limit service to Bedford? The chester spur is a great example of treating rail at the bottom of the barrel for priority; but that could still be used. More political will would be needed in order to widen the rail right of way for a double line, but could be done - you'd need to expropriate. But setup a double line that goes from Bayers Road, up under the NW Arm drive (maybe put a station there?), then into Bayer's Lake (put a station there), Timberlea and out to Tantallon. As part of taking land to make the ROW wider, you could make it wide enough for the rail beds and then still keep the walking trail, but keep it well fenced off and seperated? This could capture people out that way better than the bus would and wouldn't have the same delays due to traffic.

And what about Dartmouth? Well - use the spur line to Dartmouth - so you catch it at Downsview, then it spurs off into the business park - maybe put it near the ferry terminal i've suggested for Burnside, at the Yacht Club and then take land and eventually connect it to the line that runs along the harbour edge into DT Dartmouth? So you could have a stop at Shannon Park and then at the Ferry Terminals for DT Dartmouth and then Woodside?

Why limit the route to just one place? The problem with my thoughts is that you'll have to negotiate or take land - which is never easy or fun. So there would have to be a lot of political will - but the benefits could be great; because you could build higher density, transit oriented development all around each station - allowing older neighbourhoods to grow again.

The other issue would be the trains - the 24 cars in Moncton is a good start, but no where near enough. Now you could buy BUDD built rail cars that weren't powered and connect them to these self powered trains to get more capacity - that would work. But you'd ultimately need more modern cars to expand.

The other catch will be car traffic for bus connections. A seemless connection at the train station is great; but if you are always going to miss the train coming home in the PM - not so good. Not sure how to resolve that one, but it would be an obsticle - but could also be a great asset. You could run the trains for the typical AM/PM commutes and then during festivals and big concerts/events. Plus, at certain locations (Mill Cove, Chinatown, Burnside) it could be an intermodal system - Rail, Bus and Ferry perhaps?

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on my concept - it's what got me an A for my regional planning project eheh.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 7:35 PM

...and now for my thought on LRT (I promised someone123 I'd say something). First though; the pic of the dayliner posted in this thread is the VIA train on Vancouver Island (from Victoria to Duncan - very fun!).

Someone123 has a good thought about LRT; but my thought on it is a little different. I've been to many cities that use trollies and they give that city a really interesting feel (Toronto being a great example).

Halifax used to have them - so why not think about adding them back into the system?

Maybe try it out on a line on both sides of the harbour (I doubt you could send them across the bridges, I think the weights wouldn't work) - but you could due a trolly like what was done for Vancouver through the streets of Halifax and Dartmouth along some main corridors?

Could spur some redevelopment. Say for example Gottingen Street or Agricola? Those are probably the next two spots where you'll see development pressure, because they are so close to downtown - so why not spur that with a trolly line into downtown?

Just not sure of a route and how it would work - I don't think a skytrain would work in Halifax because of the huge changes in grade, but who knows?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 1:53 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

LRT implies a different sort of system that can't run along the standard gauge heavy rail lines, but this is consistent with what I said: I think that the city should give up on the idea of using the CN rail lines and make their own new ROWs.

It doesn't seem like weights should be an issue on the bridges. They regularly carry very heavy vehicles. Running freight trains is probably a bad idea but modern electric trolleys are probably way lighter than old buses. The Macdonald Bridge is from the 1950s and it's possible that it's very overbuilt, although they did widen it.

My issue with trolleys is that they'd be expensive without being faster than cars. I think the best option is some kind of hybrid system where it's possible to have mixed stretches along with parts that are dedicated ROW (at-grade, elevated, or short tunnels). This is the kind of thing the city can invest in over time to gradually improve service.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
First, I hate to kybosh someone's thoughts, but someone123 - LRT doesn't work in rail. I have friends with Calgary Transit and they couldn't use the CP rail because the trains are usually powered with a 3rd rail (on the side) for power, or in the case of Calgary Transit, overheard power lines. Plus the gauge of track is different.
First off, they can be diesel powered, and although I'm not aware of any system at the moment, I don't see why some sort of hybrid technology couldn't be implimented. Second, they can be manufactured to the standard north american track gauge (check out the O Train in Ottawa). Third, it can be done as long as proper spacing and separation is maintained between the LRT vehicle and freight/heavy rail, which would necessitate upgrades to CN's signalling equipment, and the vehicles meet the appropriate Transport Canada requirements.

Everything else you said though I agree with. And, I've been coming more onboard with the idea of an electrified trolleycoach system downtown. My suggestion would be for it to take the place of the now cancelled downtown shuttle route, although I would like to see a loop created from the Via station to Inglis, Robie, South, Oxford, Quinpool, Bell, Summer, Spring Garden, Barrington (north), then back via Hollis (or Upper Water in the opposite direction). And, just to clarify there would be no problem running them over the Macdonald Bridge. I mean after all, the former trolleycoach route 11 ran to Dartmouth via that bridge.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 4:21 AM
Honored Member

One problem with electric trolley buses are the overhead power lines which look very unattractive in a city. Also they are confined to a specific path whereas buses aren't. Halifax has introduced new hybrid buses which are far more economical and cleaner than the old diesel buses. I don't see any advantage to any system that shares the road with cars such as streetcars. Living in the Toronto area, I have to navigate the streetcar tracks whenever I go downtown and it is a nightmare for people in cars. Also, sharing the road with a streetcar is like sharing the road with a heavy train (it is intimidating when driving a car). Again, I really think that buses are superior, especially the new hybrid buses.

Living in the Toronto area, I am somewhat spoiled as far as transit goes. In my opinion, other than a subway or GO-like rail transit system, which have their own right of way, the new Halifax hybrid buses seem superior to both trolley cars and streetcars.

PS: If Halifax had of kept its streetcar system from the early 1900's then it would be a great tourist attraction like the San Francisco system is. However, the modern Toronto system doesn't even have that going for it. I honestly don't know why Toronto continues to operate them.

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 4:37 AM

I seem to remember a picture somewhere.... Maybe at the macpass offices that has a troller car on one of the bridges... It must have been the mcdonald due to the timing that both existed...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 2:22 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
I seem to remember a picture somewhere.... Maybe at the macpass offices that has a troller car on one of the bridges... It must have been the mcdonald due to the timing that both existed...
It is at the offices and was also the front cover of the 50th Anniversary Calendar.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
One problem with electric trolley buses are the overhead power lines which look very unattractive in a city. Also they are confined to a specific path whereas buses aren't. Halifax has introduced new hybrid buses which are far more economical and cleaner than the old diesel buses. I don't see any advantage to any system that shares the road with cars such as streetcars. Living in the Toronto area, I have to navigate the streetcar tracks whenever I go downtown and it is a nightmare for people in cars. Also, sharing the road with a streetcar is like sharing the road with a heavy train (it is intimidating when driving a car). Again, I really think that buses are superior, especially the new hybrid buses.

Living in the Toronto area, I am somewhat spoiled as far as transit goes. In my opinion, other than a subway or GO-like rail transit system, which have their own right of way, the new Halifax hybrid buses seem superior to both trolley cars and streetcars.

PS: If Halifax had of kept its streetcar system from the early 1900's then it would be a great tourist attraction like the San Francisco system is. However, the modern Toronto system doesn't even have that going for it. I honestly don't know why Toronto continues to operate them.
Your comments are right on the money, Fenwick. Urban trolleys sound romantic, but not very practical. The caveat is an historical line that doubles as a tourist attraction/ city ambiance, or perhaps a funicular line on a mountainous route. Hybrid or hydrogen buses and a BRT system make much more sense for a city the size and density of Halifax.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure