HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 8:09 PM

Tracking the 2021 Halifax apartment development boom

https://signalhfx.ca/tracking-the-20...elopment-boom/

Hope you all enjoy this, I did the best I could. I got the idea from being an active user on this site. I love the community and discussion that it creates, not to mention all of the historical documentation from the photos while the buildings are under construction.

Last edited by RyNyeScienceGuy; Dec 10, 2021 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 5:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting summary of apartment construction. Thanks for posting!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 3:10 PM

[moved to new thread]

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 1:27 AM

Not sure if this had been posted earlier, but there's a new (as of June) proposal for the Shannon Park lands, alluded to in the Mumford proposal. It's anticipating 3000 new residential units over 5 phases, plus retail, office, and parkland, with the existing school being preserved by the looks of it:

https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...ands-dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
with the existing school being preserved by the looks of it
Jeez, I hope not. That building was a total dump and ready for wrecking 25 years ago. I can't imagine what shape it must be in now.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 2:36 PM

Twitter is down. Probably a victim of a hack from China : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...erability.html

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 7:48 PM

I see a few homes on the corner of North and Clifton were torn down. Nearby, 3 homes to the west of the church on the NW corner of North/Oxford are fenced with the siding off. Hard to say if it is a group renovation or pending demotion.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 8:56 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Which corner, the former corner store, the rest are all residential?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Which corner, the former corner store, the rest are all residential?
Same block as the small strip mall where Robins Donuts use to be.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 10:13 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Thank you, I used to know someone who lived in one of those houses many years ago.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 4:17 PM

The set of flats on the corner shown HERE are now gone. The two adjacent homes on North do not seem to be next, so I assume the others destined to go are on Clifton.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2021, 3:05 AM
Halifax Promoter!

What is going up here? I don't remember hearing anything on this site! That area in behind on Clifton St. down to St. Alban's St. could be a major redevelopment!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2021, 12:58 PM

I don't recall seeing anything on the tracker list at the DAC for upcoming projects. But checked and this block has a FAR of 3.5 with a 90m height limit.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 5:15 PM

5 Linden Lea

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 5:08 PM

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 7:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Some Tramway construction is visible here:

Source

I think this is the same developer as NFB? Are there going to be years of overlap in construction between these sites? I wonder how that can make financial sense. If anything you'd think demand for NFB units would be much higher now than it was when that project started.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 5:46 PM

The former denture clinic on Portland Street is being demolished today. Yes that building ...

I'm not even going to go snap a photo like I normally would so this building can just be erased from history.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 4:22 PM

Any chance that this might result in a more streamlined approval process?

In search of housing solutions, panel puts Halifax development process under the microscope

Quote:
The chair of a housing panel struck by the provincial government last year says members are working urgently to "dissect" the development process in Halifax, and find ways to speed up the construction of new places for people to live.

"All the task force members understand the magnitude of what we're doing and we can't get this wrong," said Geoff MacLellan.

A shortage of housing has been brewing in Halifax Regional Municipality for years. One estimate of the size of the shortage is between 20,000 and 25,000 units.

The supply-demand imbalance has kept vacancy rates hovering close to zero for the past few years, as rents and home prices have risen.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 11:59 PM

I think this could potentially help, we'll have to see how it plays out I guess. Based on the way things are worded I get the feeling they're talking more about large greenfield subdivisions etc than the types of projects that would be covered by the Centre Plan for example (which itself was a major "streamlining" intended to address a lot of the things being talked about in the article). I think pretty much anything that speeds up new housing construction would be a good thing at this point. I'm sure there's room for more efficiencies in terms of how quickly applications are processed by the city. It'll be interesting to see what their recommendations are.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 1:09 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I think this could potentially help, we'll have to see how it plays out I guess. Based on the way things are worded I get the feeling they're talking more about large greenfield subdivisions etc than the types of projects that would be covered by the Centre Plan for example (which itself was a major "streamlining" intended to address a lot of the things being talked about in the article). I think pretty much anything that speeds up new housing construction would be a good thing at this point. I'm sure there's room for more efficiencies in terms of how quickly applications are processed by the city. It'll be interesting to see what their recommendations are.
From the "rumour mill", there's something like 1,000 units planned at the St. Pat's and Bloomfield sites. It felt like they were planned and sold off in a pretty leisurely way by the municipality. It's common for developers to queue up a lot of valuable sites for development which makes sense for their own pipeline but maybe not so much for the city, and perhaps there are some potential gains there. As one extreme example United Gulf has held onto the Skye site for nearly 2 decades.

I agree they're probably mostly talking about greenfield sites. The delays there are often considerable and I don't think they've been streamlined in the same way as the Centre Plan area. The urban infill component is substantial too though and has been a significant portion of the supply of new housing in the metro area.

FWIW my impression is this comes down to planning nuts and bolts and overcoming bureaucratic/political inertia plus implementing the right construction market incentives (which could include payment for construction of public/subsidized housing or other thing; I just mean "actually getting real construction workers to build things"). There doesn't seem to be much in the news coverage so far that sheds light on those details. A while back I think I read that NS was looking at some incentives for trades. I wonder how much Canada's labour force is lacking in this area. It feels like there is a lot of emphasis on university education, both for citizens and immigrants.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth