HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
Oh great, my riding is replacing one bum of an MP for another.
At least as an MP he'll have no real power, and someone not stupid can hopefully fill his place.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 12:39 AM

Two Down…

Glanbrook councillor Brenda Johnson won't be seeking re-election this fall
(Hamilton Spectator, Tamara Botting, Jan 5 2022)

Come the fall, Glanbrook will have a new councillor at city hall as Brenda Johnson has announced that she won’t be running in the upcoming municipal election.

“I think it’s time for fresh eyes. I think it’s time for a change,” said Glanbrook’s councillor.

While Hamilton council has been facing public backlash in recent years for its handling of situations such as the sewage spill into Chedoke Creek, or the Red Hill Valley Parkway asphalt study that suggested the surface of the road was more slippery than it should be, Johnson said that’s not what motivated her retirement…

Johnson said she’s making the announcement about her retirement now, “because I really wanted to allow good candidates an opportunity to review and find whether or not they would like to run. I don’t want people scrambling in August.”

Read it in full here.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:04 PM

Keanin Loomis@keaninloomis

Yesterday I informed my Board of my intention to resign from hamilton chamber.

Serving the #HamOnt business community for 9 years has been such a privilege, but I have so much more leadership to provide our community.

As such, I am announcing that I will be a candidate for Mayor.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:14 PM

Interesting. At first blush he seems to be an excellent, progressive candidate. I'm looking forward to seeing his platform.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Interesting. At first blush he seems to be an excellent, progressive candidate. I'm looking forward to seeing his platform.
He's progressive from an economic development perspective for sure (sustainability, urban density, LRT etc), but beyond that I'm not so sure. The hard, progressive Hamiltonians will have trouble looking past his pro-sprawl stance. I would argue that even Eisenberger has a stronger track record advocating for affordable housing and refugees, etc.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:53 PM

This is huge news. I'd heard a few rumours that this was coming, but it doesn't take away from the immensity of this news. This really makes the next election more exciting, and shows that Hamilton is truly on the up and up.

While I don't agree with all of Loomis' opinions, he's not an idiot and knows the power and strength of advocacy groups. I hadn't heard of his support for sprawl, but seeing the immense outpouring against sprawl, I suspect he will change his tune as he recognizes that's a huge voting block. For many, sprawl is one of the most important issues of our time, including myself. Regardless, Loomis would be a far better option than Fred, Vito, or Bob. Loomis is someone I and many other involved residents and community at large respect, while Bob is disgraced and disliked my many and would be running on ego and name recognition alone, while Fred is on ego, if he even runs which I feel like is a 50/50 chance since he seems so tired of this role.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 7:01 PM

Would imagine Farr will enter the race too? He's Deputy Mayor and if Fred doesn't run, seems likely to run.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Would imagine Farr will enter the race too? He's Deputy Mayor and if Fred doesn't run, seems likely to run.
While that would be great because Farr would get demolished by Keanin and that means we'd have another density, and progressive politician in Ward 2. I never got the impression that Farr had interest in the mayorship. I'm even wondering if he plans to run again. Though his lead up to running again has never been filled with any pomp. I'm really curious if anyone of value will even put their name in the ring against Keanin. Maybe I'm overstating how much I think his chances are, but I think Mr. Loomis had a decent chance against Eisenburger and would demolish any other name I can think of. Maybe Bratina running might make it closer based on old white guy vote, but who knows.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 7:43 PM
Ham-burgher

This was good to see. Time for some fresh thinking!

Note that Loomis's private perspectives may differ from the positions he supported at the Chamber of Commerce. He was representing a range of businesses, so for something like urban boundary changes he would have been echoing the membership's consensus opinion (and I imagine there are a number of developers and real-estate companies who are chamber members, that have skin in that game)

I'd love to see Andrea Horwath run for mayor. It's pretty clear she's gone as far as she can go provincially, and I don't see that changing in a spring election. She'd be a great voice for Hamilton at the provincial and federal levels, and wouldn't take any crap from the problem children on council.

I've had no problem with Fred, but aside from the positive turn in the ongoing LRT drama his tenure has been associated with some backslides (not his fault, but on his watch) and has otherwise been rather sleepy. The changes we're seeing in Hamilton now are less due to leadership, and more to economic forces.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 10:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

Since he has been MIA for most of this council session, we can hope to assume Terry won't run for re-election?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 6:26 PM
Ham-burgher

Freddy says not to count him out.

Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger says 'don't bet against' him seeking another term
https://www.thespec.com/local-ancast...ther-term.html

Quote:
Mayor Fred Eisenberger has yet to announce whether he is seeking reelection.

In a statement, Eisenberger said he is focused on the COVID-19 pandemic and other important issues, such as housing, waterfront development and the 2022 budget.

“Although, I haven’t made a final decision on running for reelection, and will do at an appropriate time, I wouldn’t bet against it!”

Eisenberger said since nominations do not open until May, it is still January and “I will make an announcement at the appropriate time.

“Stay tuned.”
Quote:
Also indicating a willingness to run for mayor in 2022 are Edward Graydon and George Rusich, who both ran in 2018.

Not necessarily, Graham.
But new voices eager to do new things, or do old things in fresher ways, does make for a better council I think.

Quote:
During a recent interview, IELECT co-chair Graham Crawford said he expects the mayoral race, along with various ward races, to be heavily contested. IELECT is encouraging candidates to run in every ward. He wasn’t surprised when 21 people applied to city hall to represent Ward 5 after former councillor Chad Collins resigned to become the Hamilton East—Stoney Creek Liberal MP.

“We do see a change (in council) in the election,” he said. “When you have new councillors, you have a better council.”

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 4:02 AM

If it’s Eisenbeger vs Loomis than Fred will win hands down. A good looking, downtown candidate with strong connections to corporate business will lose most of the rural, suburban and urban union vote. It’s what killed McHattie. Loomis better hope it ends up being a lower city race if they want to win.

If a higher profile conservative candidate enters the race, like Bratina, than we could have a 2014 election along over again, where Centrist Fred may or may not be or to squeak out a win. That where things get wild with strategic voting and higher turnout in suburban/rural wards that may not have an incumbent and have higher turnout.

Who wants to take bets that if Loomis doesn’t win he’ll pull a McHattie and leave town?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 3:07 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedPouch View Post
If it’s Eisenbeger vs Loomis than Fred will win hands down. A good looking, downtown candidate with strong connections to corporate business will lose most of the rural, suburban and urban union vote. It’s what killed McHattie. Loomis better hope it ends up being a lower city race if they want to win.

If a higher profile conservative candidate enters the race, like Bratina, than we could have a 2014 election along over again, where Centrist Fred may or may not be or to squeak out a win. That where things get wild with strategic voting and higher turnout in suburban/rural wards that may not have an incumbent and have higher turnout.

Who wants to take bets that if Loomis doesn’t win he’ll pull a McHattie and leave town?
You do realize that Fred is the Conservative in the group, he actually ran for the Conservatives. Bratina is the Liberal, an actual elected member of the Liberal party.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 6:54 PM

I feel like most don't know the outside politics of people in Hamilton. I do feel like Keanin against Fred, Keanin would have a solid chance. He has a lot of connections, and allies in the business and city community. Esther Paul's won in part because of her business support. Fred has alienated everyone, and everyone is tired of him.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I feel like most don't know the outside politics of people in Hamilton. I do feel like Keanin against Fred, Keanin would have a solid chance. He has a lot of connections, and allies in the business and city community. Esther Paul's won in part because of her business support. Fred has alienated everyone, and everyone is tired of him.
Everyone is tired of him? My bet is he'll win with ease. The vast majority of Hamiltonians are not the downtown hipster lefties that occupy reddit.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
You do realize that Fred is the Conservative in the group, he actually ran for the Conservatives. Bratina is the Liberal, an actual elected member of the Liberal party.
I’m well aware of that. They’re both very much Red Tories who’s policies and actions could sway either way. The party system tries to package candidates under one label and then forces them to vote as a unified block, regardless of their actual feelings, or else lose support of the party. I’d say looking at their actions as mayor, that Bob is much more conservative in practice than Fred.

Just in the same way Whitehead keeps musing a run for provincial or federal Liberal parties, Partridges run as a Liberal, or down the road in TO, Giorgio Mammoliti who was one of Fords right hand men on Council despite being a former NDP MPP.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Sgro is a well connected fundraiser with strong ties to the business community, who outspent Eisenberger 2:1, but came up 20pp short. Pauls has good connections to the small business community, and had just come off from running as a provincial candidate in an unwinnable riding but raised her profile significantly.

The business ties can help bring in money but it’s off putting to a lot of segments of the community, and in reality, most of the deep pocket business owners and staff tend to live in Burlington, Niagara or Haldimand. All that matters to winning an election is votes, and the people who show up and vote regardless of there being a competitive race are in the former suburban/rural municipalities, and Loomis has baggage with rural voters after the boundary expansion vote.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 5:09 PM

Whitehead and Bratina can open a chain of grumpy old men bakeries for all I care.

If Bratina enters this race, he better not win or Hamilton's progress is going in the dumpster. He literally left the Liberals because of the LRT involvement and so he wouldn't be seen as a hypocrite. His only MO is winning the Mayorship so he can sink the LRT. He's a smug sac of you know what.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:27 PM

Not sure how this will sit with some people but Loomis confirmed he's in favour of the sprawl. That just eliminated him from my votetential (not a word, but should be).

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:43 PM

If it's any consolation the province will almost certainly over-ride the vote in a few months prior to the election. "The sprawl" Will likely occur regardless of mayoral candidates positions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy