HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
NIMBYism at work. We can all fight back at each and every election. The few who value single-family zoning over Austin's needs don't seem to mind that such homes in the urban core are only affordable to the top ~20% of income earners.

We can allow greater number of homes and smaller homes, both of which are more sustainable, more affordable (all things equal) and help foster transit better than SF homes, but those who love exclusionary zoning will fight tooth and nail to prevent abundant housing policies.
This comparison is actually really unfair to SF. SF has MUCH higher levels of density than Austin will ever have. SF's neighborhoods full of homes with small footprints and tiny lots is exactly what we need our core neighborhoods to look like.

SF NIMBY's are resisting Manhattan levels of density. We aren't even close to that!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 8:20 PM
Love Austin

"SF" short for "single-family" not "San Fran". Sorry for confusion. Wish we had their density and wish they would allow for greater density...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
"SF" short for "single-family" not "San Fran". Sorry for confusion. Wish we had their density and wish they would allow for greater density...
Oh! There was previous discussion about San Francisco .

I think the bigger offenders in the Bay Area are the South Bay towns. They all open their arms up for giant corporate offices with tens of thousands of employees, but allow very little nearby residential density.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
Oh! There was previous discussion about San Francisco .

I think the bigger offenders in the Bay Area are the South Bay towns. They all open their arms up for giant corporate offices with tens of thousands of employees, but allow very little nearby residential density.
Heh, you know my area so well (No sarcasm)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:23 AM

Elon Musk is teasing a new factory in Texas and just changed his twitter bio location to Austin.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electre...gafactory/amp/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Elon Musk is teasing a new factory in Texas and just changed his twitter bio location to Austin.

Nice. Hutto was allegedly runner up to the Nevada gigafactory site.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post

Ok, so I thought SpaceX, but I guess Tesla makes just as much sense. Getting a Giga in Hutto and corporate ops would be...massive.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreditch View Post
Ok, so I thought SpaceX, but I guess Tesla makes just as much sense. Getting a Giga in Hutto and corporate ops would be...massive.
He’s actually teasing that with a poll on his twitter feed. I’ll screenshot it when I get a chance.

Holy crap, that would be a massive get.

EDIT: elsewhere on his Twitter, he tells prospective employees they can be based in either Palo Alto (current HQ) or Austin. Do we have a major Tesla corporate office at the moment? Maybe up at Parmer/Tech Ridge?

Last edited by We vs us; Feb 5, 2020 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
He’s actually teasing that with a poll on his twitter feed. I’ll screenshot it when I get a chance.

Holy crap, that would be a massive get.

EDIT: elsewhere on his Twitter, he tells prospective employees they can be based in either Palo Alto (current HQ) or Austin. Do we have a major Tesla corporate office at the moment? Maybe up at Parmer/Tech Ridge?
Well this certainly could be the big jobs announcement we've been waiting for. Just looked on linkedin and there are only 114 people employed by Tesla in Austin, so obviously being mentioned with Palo Alto, their global headquarters, implies some news could be coming. It's Elon, so who knows. The company has around 50K employees worldwide and is obviously growing like crazy so an announcement of big employee numbers in Austin is plausible. The tweets and linkedin employee count:

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
It's Elon, so who knows.
Yeah, I'm trying to hold off any excitement until something's confirmed (besides trolling from Mr. "Born 69 days after 4/20").

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 2:58 PM

It looks like Elon will be at Boca Chica today. Maybe he'll swing up to Austin after for a quick announcement?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
It looks like Elon will be at Boca Chica today. Maybe he'll swing up to Austin after for a quick announcement?
I'll bet it's some sorta ploy to get a concessions outta some California town.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:31 PM

Is Tesla what you heard, Urbancore?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
Well this certainly could be the big jobs announcement we've been waiting for. Just looked on linkedin and there are only 114 people employed by Tesla in Austin, so obviously being mentioned with Palo Alto, their global headquarters, implies some news could be coming. It's Elon, so who knows. The company has around 50K employees worldwide and is obviously growing like crazy so an announcement of big employee numbers in Austin is plausible.
This may make the most sense being that Tesla was looking at building a Giga factory here previously. Unless they plan to also/only open up a big engineering office, I don't see how this would affect the skyline. The impression I got from the original rumor was that it may directly result in new buildings downtown. (Maybe is misread/misinterpreted?)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:20 PM

austin fc stadium

supposedly, there is an announcement coming up soon for the Austin FC Stadium name/sponsorship. Perhaps Tesla might get involved.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
This may make the most sense being that Tesla was looking at building a Giga factory here previously. Unless they plan to also/only open up a big engineering office, I don't see how this would affect the skyline. The impression I got from the original rumor was that it may directly result in new buildings downtown. (Maybe is misread/misinterpreted?)
Yes, this was my question, too. Gigafactory needs tons of open space -- so it's surely a far east or far south side project. Maybe at the 130/71 junction? Or near wherever Amazon's doing its Project Charm UltraMegaSuperWarehouse?

But if you look at Tesla's Palo Alto HQ, it's clearly suburban -- even exurban -- certainly not a highrise. If that's corporate preference, I'd expect them to build up in the Tech Ridge area, or maybe land with all four feet in the former Eightfold development. Something similar. But not a DT office environment.

That's why I'm curious to see urbancore chime in. This is a huge thing, but maybe not HIS huge thing?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Yes, this was my question, too. Gigafactory needs tons of open space -- so it's surely a far east or far south side project. Maybe at the 130/71 junction? Or near wherever Amazon's doing its Project Charm UltraMegaSuperWarehouse?

But if you look at Tesla's Palo Alto HQ, it's clearly suburban -- even exurban -- certainly not a highrise. If that's corporate preference, I'd expect them to build up in the Tech Ridge area, or maybe land with all four feet in the former Eightfold development. Something similar. But not a DT office environment.

That's why I'm curious to see urbancore chime in. This is a huge thing, but maybe not HIS huge thing?
My source hinted a name...she never confirmed it......my texts to her have gone un-returned.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_afk View Post
supposedly, there is an announcement coming up soon for the Austin FC Stadium name/sponsorship. Perhaps Tesla might get involved.
the shirt sponsor was signed a few weeks ago, with the announcement coming very soon. it's a local company and is among the top 4 jersey sponsorship deals in MLS.

they've already turned down a 10yr, $35m stadium naming rights deal. i don't think we'll see a gigastadium announced any time soon, but whoever they get is going to have to be pretty big. still it would be pretty cool to have the giant shade structure covered with Tesla solar panels.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
My source hinted a name...she never confirmed it......my texts to her have gone un-returned.
Was it a downtown thing, or did we all imagine that part?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
the shirt sponsor was signed a few weeks ago, with the announcement coming very soon. it's a local company and is among the top 4 jersey sponsorship deals in MLS.

they've already turned down a 10yr, $35m stadium naming rights deal. i don't think we'll see a gigastadium announced any time soon, but whoever they get is going to have to be pretty big. still it would be pretty cool to have the giant shade structure covered with Tesla solar panels.
thanks. I am sure the shirt sponsor will be happy with the sales they can pull off the association with AFC. I have merch and I will happy to add to the collection with shirt sponsor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin