HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 29, 2005, 1:58 AM
Me?!?

HARRISBURG

Council delays final decision on condominium project

Wednesday, September 28, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Citing zoning reasons, Harrisburg City Council last night rejected a 32-unit luxury condominium project proposed for North Front Street. But the plan remains far from dead.

That's because council also granted a request by developer Mary Knackstedt for a 60-day extension before a final decision is made on the land development plan for the condo project.

Knackstedt could either seek a zoning variance that would clear the way for the project as is. Or she could scale back the project to fit the zoning requirements.

"It's still alive," said Don Paul Shearer, Knackstedt's real estate adviser. "They did not make a decision tonight. That's the bottom line."

Nonetheless, Shearer said he would advise Knackstedt to appeal the city's rejection, which he contends was based on a flawed interpretation of Harrisburg's zoning code.

Knackstedt's team submitted the project as a planned residential development under the city's zoning code. The team said it was following the instructions of Harrisburg planning officials to file the project in that zoning category.

But city officials ruled that the condo building didn't fit the definition of a planned residential development because condos can be built in other zoning districts.

"They still haven't given me answers," Shearer said. "It's planned; it's residential; it's development. My advice to Mary would be to appeal immediately."

That would take the matter to Dauphin County Court.

Knackstedt did not attend last night's meeting and could not be reached for comment.

Shearer said Knackstedt would press the city to reinstate demolition permits to raze the three 1920s-era houses on the development site.

Knackstedt plans to demolish the houses that she owns at 2901-2917 N. Front St. to make way for the $32 million building.

The city issued demolition permits for the structures five months ago, then quickly rescinded them. Knackstedt has an appeal pending with a city review board and has filed a motion in Dauphin County Court seeking the permits.

"We still have the issue of the demolition permits," Shearer said. "If the permits are issued, it's a whole new ball game."

The mixed decision left the meeting room full of neighboring residents and preservationists relieved but wary.

Project opponents say Harrisburg would lose three irreplaceable mansions along Front Street and residents would lose their views of the Susquehanna River and have to contend with more traffic.

"We see the decision as a positive sign, but the issue is still continuing," said Diane McCormick, president of Historic Harrisburg Association, a group opposed to any move to destroy the three houses on North Front Street.

And while the vote to reject the project in its current form was unanimous, at least one council member, Vice President Linda Thompson, said she supports Knackstedt.

"If I could pass the project for Mary Knackstedt, I would," she said. "But the law doesn't allow me to do that. There are other alternative sites where she could put this big, beautiful infrastructure."

As proposed, Knackstedt's project would stand 57 feet high on a 23,445-square-foot footprint, with underground parking for 146 cars.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2005, 2:00 AM
Me?!?

HARRISBURG

Courthouse site decision pushed back to summer

BY DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News

The U.S. General Services Administration said yesterday that a decision on a location for the new federal courthouse in Harrisburg has been pushed back from this winter until next summer, meaning months more of uncertainty for residents near the three sites.

The delay is due to preliminary steps, including environmental studies of the sites, taking longer than expected, said Abigail Low, GSA project manager for the courthouse. She said no new information has come to light about any of the three sites to cause GSA to remove a site from the list.

"Probably in June," Low said about when a decision likely would be made.

Harrisburg needs a new federal courthouse because the existing building at Third and Walnut streets doesn't meet security requirements and has space and maintenance problems. A replacement building will have 262,970 square feet and cost $102 million, Low said.

The three sites on the GSA short list are the following:

# About 6.4 acres at Sixth and Basin streets, which is the site of the two Jackson-Lick Apartment towers and the Jackson-Lick municipal swimming pool.

# About 6 acres at Sixth and Verbeke streets that includes the Cumberland Court Apartments and the Quaker Meeting House.

# And 3.6 acres at Third and Forster streets that includes 40 homes and several businesses.

Low talked at length to The Patriot-News editorial board yesterday about the site-selection process and revealed several new pieces of information:

# Jackson-Lick would likely be the most expensive site because the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development will demand replacement cost for the public-housing units.

# The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission recommended the Cumberland Court site as a means of saving historic homes.

# GSA talked to the YMCA about giving up its huge building on North Front Street but concluded that the organization would not be able to survive if it had to move.

# Polshek Partners of New York City will design the new courthouse. The firm designed the Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock, Ark.

# GSA has "local crime concerns" about the Jackson-Lick and Cumberland Court sites.

# Visitors parking will not be provided at any of the three sites.

Low said 40 parking spaces will be provided for judges and certain other personnel. Others, including visiting lawyers, would have to find their own.

# GSA has "local crime concerns" about the Jackson-Lick and Cumberland Court sites.

LOL

Old Posted Sep 29, 2005, 2:04 AM
Me?!?

City taxpayers to receive rebates

BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg property owners will get their real estate tax rebates in mid-October.

City Council last night passed an Oct. 14 deadline for issuing the checks, which were approved early this year and will average about $85 for every residential and commercial property owner in Harrisburg.

All told, the city will give back $1.6 million to its taxpayers.

"The checks will be in the mail that day," said Vice President Linda Thompson. "We wanted the money to go back to the citizens of Harrisburg. We wanted them to see a check in their hands."

Mayor Stephen R. Reed, who earlier this month raised concerns about issuing rebates when the city is facing a $2.5 million deficit, agreed the checks should go out as promised.

"It is the mayor's intent to have the checks issued during the period of Oct. 12-14, and council has been so advised," said city spokesman Randy King. "This is the fastest it can be physically accomplished."

Under the rebate plan, all city property owners who have paid their taxes would get back about 10 percent of their 2005 real estate levy.

The owner of a house assessed at $100,000 would receive an $85 check. More than 18,000 individual checks will be issued under the program.

Money for the rebates is coming from the Emergency and Municipal Services Tax, a $52 annual levy imposed this year on the 68,000 people who work in Harrisburg.

An additional $1 million of the $2.6 million in emergency and municipal services tax money has been earmarked for police, fire and public works projects.

Under an earlier ordinance passed by the council, no funds could be spent until the rebates are released.

But King said the city only recently received all of the money due under the emergency and municipal services tax.

County official urges more collaboration

BY TOM DOCHAT
Of The Patriot-News

At the Harrisburg Regional Chamber's annual "State of the Region" event yesterday, Cumberland County Commissioner Gary Eichelberger used the opportunity to express his concerns about the decision-making processes in promoting some regional issues.

"I may want to challenge your thinking today," Eichelberger said before more than 450 people who attended yesterday's luncheon at the Radisson Penn Harris Hotel & Convention Center. Eichelberger said he believes regional issues should be pursued through an open, bottom-up, collaborative partnership among many members, not from a top-to-bottom elitist approach.

Although his comments weren't new or unexpected -- he expressed many of the same viewpoints in Sunday's Patriot-News review and opinion section -- he did rattle a few nerves.

"Is the bottom-up his bottom?" fumed Clifford Jones, a chamber advocate who has served several times as its interim CEO.

"It was totally uncalled for," he said. "I'm very disappointed."

Dauphin County Commissioner Jeff Haste, who delivered the outlook for his county, said he didn't agree with Eichelberger. "I guess we just see things differently," he said.

Eichelberger cited agencies such as Tri-County Regional Planning Commission and the West Shore Council of Governments as good partners in regionalism. The chamber and its Capital Region Economic Development Corp. weren't on the list.

Cumberland has re-directed its planned funding for CREDC this year. Last year, it contributed $22,000, and in prior administrations the figure was $50,000.

Cumberland County has opposed the Corridor One rail project that would go from Lancaster to Harrisburg, and then into Cumberland County. Cumberland commissioners have withheld their support for the project, citing ridership and funding concerns.

In his talk, Haste said all three Dauphin County commissioners support the rail plan.

"We may disagree on where it should start or where it should end," he said, "but we know that the future will be here soon, and we know we must plan for it now."

Perry County Commissioner John Amsler said his county's first-ever business park is finished and awaiting tenants. "We have some prospects," he said. "We need that first one, as you know."

He conceded that the park has its detractors, but he said he supported it. "I offer no apology for my support," he said. "Trying to improve the tax base and providing jobs isn't a bad idea."

Old Posted Sep 29, 2005, 6:25 PM
Me?!?

Supervisors OK school expansion

Milton Hershey to reopen Old Senior Hall

Thursday, September 29, 2005
BY MEGAN WALDE
Of The Patriot-News

The Milton Hershey School has received the final municipal approval it needs to expand its northern campus and make a significant increase in student enrollment.

Derry Twp. supervisors approved the school's plan for 150 acres at its former high school, called Old Senior Hall. The site sits between the Swatara Creek and Hersheypark Drive, east of Route 39.

The school for children in financial and social need plans to reopen the building in 2007 as a middle school.

The MHS board of directors approved the renovation project's design in February, and school officials put the project's cost at $72 million. Since the project includes restoration of the building's facade, however, directors approved a budget of $110 million to leave room for unanticipated expenses.

The school's five-year strategic plan calls for an increase in enrollment from 1,300 students to 1,500 by 2009 and to 2,000 students by 2013.

Land used for the Derry Twp.-based school is tax-exempt, though the school's trust board owns many more acres that are taxable. In August, the school wrapped up seven months of negotiation with South Hanover Twp. to create a tax-exempt zoning classification for 447 acres the school's trust owns north of Swatara Creek.

That land will be used to build additional student homes for middle school students attending the renovated Old Senior Hall building, school officials say.

The plans Derry Twp. supervisors approved Tuesday night call for the demolition of part of Old Senior Hall and a 207,000-square-foot addition. The brick structures that make up the building's landmark facade will need to be replaced with similar brick, said David Carll, an MHS engineer.

Project plans also include a 200-space parking deck behind Old Senior Hall, additional sports fields and a 3,000-square-foot multi-use building for restrooms, storage, concessions and maintenance.

Supervisors attached conditions to the approval, including a restriction against any work that might disturb wetlands to the northeast portion of the site until required state environmental reports were complete. Supervisors also want the school's design to add pedestrian walking signals and additional crosswalks on the rerouted portion of Hotel Road.

The design calls for a part of Hotel Road west of Hotel Hershey to jog south and connect at a traffic light with Hersheypark Drive at the stadium and Giant Center exit road. The new leg will bisect the former Hershey airport property, now owned by Hershey Entertainment and Resorts and sometimes used as overflow parking.

The western portion of Hotel Road that circles Old Senior Hall will become a private road and dead end north of Hersheypark Drive.

Old Senior Hall opened in 1934 to middle and high school students. High school students used the building until 2000, when a new high school building opened on the MHS central campus in southeast Derry Twp.

The building housed elementary students from June 2000 to June 2003 while Memorial Hall, the elementary building, was expanded. It has been vacant since 2003.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2005, 6:27 PM
Me?!?

:tdown: I have also noticed that HIA's fares have been creeping back up again. I am flying to Chicago in a week and I saved hundreds of dollars by flying out of BWI...

HIA reports decline in passenger traffic

Passenger traffic continued to decline at Harrisburg International Airport last month.

Traffic was 8.5 percent lower compared to August 2004 and 3.2 percent lower so far this year when compared to last year.

Airport officials blamed the decline on a 7.7 percent drop in the number of seats available for sale on departing flights.

HIA also is contending with the recent bankruptcies of two more of its top carriers.

Delta Air Lines is the airport's second-busiest carrier, with a 21 percent share of the market. Northwest Airlines is its fourth-busiest carrier, with a 16 percent market share.

The two airlines, which both filed for bankruptcy protection on Sept. 14, owe a combined $170,000 to HIA, according to Aviation Director Fred Testa.

US Airways, HIA's No. 1 carrier, and United Airlines, its No. 3 carrier, were already in bankruptcy protection.

Northwest Airlines will eliminate a 7:25 a.m. daily flight from HIA to Minneapolis, beginning Sunday, airport spokesman Scott Miller said. That leaves the airline with one daily flight to Minneapolis and four daily flights to Detroit.

Delta, which has five daily flights each to Cincinnati and Atlanta from HIA, is considering cutting two of its daily flights to Cincinnati, he said.

HIA fights lawsuit

BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

The owner of Harrisburg International Airport is seeking to end a federal antitrust lawsuit against its plan to take by eminent domain a neighboring business.

The Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority filed a motion yesterday in U.S. Middle District Court to dismiss the lawsuit filed by state Attorney General Tom Corbett's office.

The lawsuit alleges that if SARAA is allowed to acquire 17 acres owned by Cramer Airport Parking it would be eliminating its only parking competitor and creating an illegal parking monopoly.

Airport officials say they need the land for cargo or corporate aviation facilities.

The motion to dismiss argues that federal antitrust laws don't apply because interstate commerce isn't affected by airport parking, according to SARAA attorney Timothy J. Nieman of Rhoads & Sinon in Harrisburg.

There is no legal precedent for one government authority stopping another government authority from exercising its eminent domain rights, Nieman said.

The motion also questions federal court authority in what it claims is a state court action.

The state attorney general's office wasn't surprised by the motion to dismiss, spokeswoman Barbara Petito said.

"We're confident that our lawsuit was properly brought before the court, and we will respond to the points made in the motion. In the end it will be up to the court to decide," Petito said.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2005, 9:31 PM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
So, HUD wants to be reimbursed for it's two buildings....good. From what I've been told, the one apartment building does'nt meet code, and the other one is questionable. Let's replace them with better buildings, and put in a new courthouse complex to anchor the northern gateway into the CBD.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2005, 1:27 AM
Me?!?

/\

Old Posted Sep 30, 2005, 11:07 AM
joining the rail club

^^ i agree...although i was really hoping for a downtown site in the CBD. i think the Jaskon-Lick site is the best suited. it's also not too far from the 7th street parking garage...maybe there could be shuttles to the courthouse or something. maybe a new garage near the courthouse could also be constructed.

3.9% unemployment is unheard of these days. South Central PA is doing very well IMHO. i'm flying into HIA when i return home in Feb...although the military is paying for it, so i really don't care what it costs can't blame you for using BWI Dave.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2005, 12:17 PM
Me?!?

More bad news for HIA...

Nonstop HIA-Orlando carrier shuts down

TransMeridian move shocks airport officials

Saturday, October 01, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

TransMeridian Airlines, the only carrier at Harrisburg International Airport that offered nonstop flights to Orlando, Fla., abruptly ceased operations yesterday.

The company said it is filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which means it is heading toward liquidating its assets.

The move shocked HIA officials, including marketing manager Scott Miller. He had tickets on TransMeridian's Sunday flight to Orlando-Sanford International Airport.

HIA Aviation Director Fred Testa said there were no indications the airline was considering shutting down or filing for bankruptcy.

In an announcement on its Web site -- www.iflytma.com -- the Atlanta-based airline said it was unsuccessful in negotiations to restructure its debt.

"All flight operations have been terminated. Passengers who purchased tickets on canceled flights should contact their travel agent or credit-card company," the announcement advised. "The airline is now working on efforts to assist employees affected by the shutdown."

A company spokesman told The Associated Press that about 500 workers will lose their jobs.

TransMeridian began offering nonstop flights to Orlando from HIA in February 2004.

Lately, it was doing two flights a week, at 2:45 p.m. on Thursdays and Sundays. The last flight, on Thursday, had about 125 people on it, Miller said.

Orlando is the most popular leisure destination for travelers departing from HIA, he said.

"Obviously, we will continue to look for another airline to serve the Orlando region with nonstop service," Testa said in a written release.

"We know this market can support one flight a day to Orlando," Miller said. "We're knocking on anyone's door who will listen."

The top four airlines at HIA -- US Airways, Delta, United and Northwest -- are operating under bankruptcy protection.

US Airways had offered one nonstop flight a week from HIA to Orlando from June 2004 to June of this year.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2005, 3:55 PM
Me?!?

What a stupid, stupid move by Swatara Twp.

Buses stop short of Wal-Mart center

Swatara Twp. restricts 63rd St. bridge

Sunday, October 02, 2005
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

For several years, Capital Area Transit drivers dropped off shoppers at Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Weis Market and CVS in Swatara Twp., then returned to take them and their purchases home.

Until last week, the CAT bus would cross the 63rd Street Bridge and go to Wal-Mart 18 times daily Monday through Friday and 29 times a day on Saturdays, dropping shoppers off at Wal-Mart's front door.

No more.

The popular shopping excursions were modified because Swatara Twp. officials have decided to allow only vehicles with four or fewer wheels to cross the bridge, a major thoroughfare between the Rutherford and Chambers Hill sections of Swatara Twp.

The issue came to a head on Sept. 23 when a CAT driver drove his bus across the bridge and Swatara Twp. police issued him a $105.50 fine and citation for failure to obey signs.

Now, instead of crossing the bridge, CAT buses are letting passengers off at 63rd and Derry streets. They walk across the bridge, then more than a quarter of a mile on the berm of the road to the stores.

Paul Cornell, Swatara Twp. administrator, and James H. Hoffer, CAT executive director, agree that it's only a matter of time before a pedestrian heading to the Wal-Mart complex gets hurt in traffic.

"We've used the 63rd Street Bridge ever since Swatara Square was built in the 1980s," Hoffer said. "But we won't anymore. We cannot allow our operators to be cited. But I'm puzzled. Paul Cornell said that PennDOT approved restrictions on the bridge and that the township can't make exceptions. But PennDOT doesn't say that."

"PennDOT doesn't have any part in the township's decision to restrict the bridge," said Mike Crochunis, PennDOT District 8 spokesman. "We don't own the bridge, Derry Street or Grayson Road; the township does. Our jurisdiction is only state-owned roads and bridges. All we did was to agree to the detour proposed by Swatara Twp., but not to the bridge restriction."

Cornell said that after Wal-Mart expanded into a supercenter and road changes were made, traffic backed up on both Grayson Road and the bridge. He said a left turning lane was added, but the backup problem continued.

He said township commissioners first restricted the turning lanes. Then, he said, they decided not to allow any vehicles with more than four wheels to use the bridge except for fire apparatus and ambulances responding to emergencies. Officials cite the limited turning radius and danger of crashes.

Cornell said the buses can take one of several alternate routes, including Derry Street, Grayson Road or Route 322.

Hoffer said that township officials suggested that the CAT buses travel Derry Street to Eisenhower Boulevard to Chambers Hill Road to Pen-Har Road to Grayson Road. He said another township alternative calls for using the end of Derry Street to Milroy Road to Grayson Road.

"That has significant safety issues," he said. "We would turn the Milroy Road railroad underpass into a single lane. The turn from Milroy to Grayson is a Y without an adequate turning radius when there are cars on Grayson Road. You have traffic coming off Route 322 and traffic going on it."

Hoffer said he suggested to the township that CAT buses coming out Derry Street from Harrisburg turn up 61st Street, onto Huntingdon Street, then down 63rd Street and straight across the bridge into Swatara Square, thus not making a turn from the bridge.

Cornell said no.

"If we do that, we'll have the CAT bus driving through neighborhoods five or six times a day," he said. "They should use Milroy Road. Trucks and buses use it."

Both sides plan to meet soon to try to find a solution, Cornell and Hoffer said.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2005, 3:58 PM
Me?!?

A HUGE step in the right direction!!!

York-to-Harrisburg service planned

Sunday, October 02, 2005
BY FRANK COZZOLI
Of The Patriot-News

Commuter trains linking York to Harrisburg are years away, but not a bus service.

York County's rabbittransit plans to begin running express buses between the two cities next summer after a recent ridership survey showed strong demand for the service.

More than 250 of the 389 respondents indicated they'd use the service, according to a survey taken this summer for rabbittransit by the Polk-Lepson Research Group.

"We were pleasantly surprised," said Richard Farr, rabbittransit's executive director. "We were hoping if we got 100 to 150 [respondents] we would be doing good." Most commute to Harrisburg daily.

Farr expects service to begin in June.

"It's great," said James H. Hoffer, executive director of Capital Area Transit, which serves the Harrisburg region. "It's more people on public transit trying to reduce congestion and clean the air. It's doing the right thing."

Farr said rabbittransit plans to purchase three new 20- to 25-seat buses for the rush-hour only service. The agency has $360,000 to spend.

"Right now, we're thinking we'll need two vehicles running at the same time," Farr said. "If the service really takes off, we'll have the capacity to meet the need."

The proposed fare is $3 each way. Farr said more than 70 percent of the respondents felt that was reasonable.

Half of the respondents indicated a new Park and Ride site off Interstate 83 at Emigsville would be an attractive place to pick up an express bus. Another 33 percent preferred the Park and Ride lot off the Yocumtown exit in Newberry Twp.

According to the survey, 42 percent of the respondents are government workers. Typical commutes ranged from 40 to 49 minutes. Because there are no express lanes for buses to skirt Interstate 83 traffic, the commutes won't be any faster.

But they will be less stressful. "I really see it as an opportunity for passengers to make some 'me' time," Farr said.

He also said those who wish might be able to work. "We're fairly optimistic we're going to be able to equip the vehicles with power sources so [riders] can bring along their laptops," Farr said.

Hoffer said the two agencies are exploring ways to coordinate service and make passenger transfers seamless.

About half of the respondents indicated they would use the planned stops at Second and Market streets, at the train station and in front of the Capitol building.

Farr noted the survey was done before the recent hike in gasoline prices. "Certainly with the price of gas these days, I'm sure people are looking for a alternative, and hopefully we'll be that alternative," he said.

York-to-Harrisburg bus service would be a precursor to the long-range regional goal of rail service.

CAT is wrapping up preliminary engineering on what's known as Corridor One between Lancaster and Carlisle. Trains could be running by late 2008 in the portion of the corridor between Lancaster and Harrisburg.

Hoffer said CAT is working on the financial plan to fund the feasibility study for Corridor Two, which would link Harrisburg to Hershey, Lebanon and York.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2005, 4:04 PM
Me?!?

LOTS of news in the city these days:

NIGERIAN SOCIETY DINNER TO RAISE FUNDS FOR PLANNED NIGERIAN COMMUNITY CULTURAL CENTER

MAYOR INVITES CITIZEN INPUT FOR NEW CITY TOURISM PLAN AT PUBLIC SESSION SLATED FOR WED., OCT 5. AT 7 P.M. AT HILTON HOTEL

POWERS & ASSOCIATES REAL ESTATE OPENS NEW HEADQUARTERS IN CITY

"Reed said the new firm is committed to fighting suburban sprawl through a special focus upon adaptive and reuse development projects, which involve the reuse or demolition and new construction on sites that have been previously used but are currently abandoned or underutilized."

M&T BANK PARTNERS WITH CITY FOR FOURTH CONSECUTIVE YEAR TO PRESENT NEW YEAR’S EVE CELEBRATION

Old Posted Oct 2, 2005, 10:05 PM

I think the limitations of the existing HBG Beltway are begining to show, as we can see above. As for upgrades/expansions, I don't see the 1.3-2 Billion bucks for a new I-83 coming anytime soon, let alone the I-81 widening and lengthening I-83 north. Also, the odds of expanding PA-283 get worse every year with the land prices for the Right-Of-Way going higher.

So....the region has a choice, encourage mass transit, or have a transportation heart attack. CorridorOne might reduce the marginal increase in PA-283 traffic, and keep traffic off of the PA-230 (which is too dangerous to be a major traffic route, imo)/I-283/I-83 corridors during rush hour. CorridorTwo would reduce the need for these I-81 and US-322 expansions/bypasses, and at a far cheaper cost. :sigh: Billions for highways, but almost nothing for mass transit.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2005, 6:15 PM
Me?!?

HARRISBURG

Ideas sought on expanding city's tourism

Monday, October 03, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Have an idea that would lure tourists to Harrisburg?

Now's your chance.

The city is holding a meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers to collect citizen input on city tourism.

Mayor Stephen R. Reed, who for years has been trying to boost the city's stature as a tourist destination, said the meeting is open to "anyone with an interest in tourism development in Harrisburg."

The session will be run by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which was selected earlier this year to develop a strategic long-term city tourism plan.

Reed said the meeting is one of the final steps in the information gathering phase of the project. The tourism master plan is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

The National Trust has gathered hundreds of visitor surveys and interviewed scores of midstate tourism industry professionals.

Reed said the study's findings would further define and develop tourism activities in the city, while enhancing city marketing efforts.

Tourism is Pennsylvania's second-largest industry and has become a major economic development contributor to Harrisburg.

According to city figures, Harrisburg draws more than 3 million people a year to city events, attractions and restaurants.

JOHN LUCIEW: 255-8171 or jluciew@patriot-news.com

SHARE YOUR IDEAS WHAT:A meeting to collect input and comments on city tourism. WHEN:7 p.m. Wednesday. WHERE:Hilton Harrisburg & Towers.

3 million people, eh? It's no wonder the traffic around here SUCKS LOL

Old Posted Oct 4, 2005, 7:10 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I have a couple of questions:

Does Harrisburg feel like a solid mid-sized city?
Are they going to build light-rail there?
Is the traffic bad in Harrisburg?
Are there any major buildings 10 stories or higher proposed or under construction?
Will the York metro area merge with the Harrisburg metro area? Heck, they are only 30 miles apart.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2005, 9:58 PM

Responding to your questions:

1. I'm going to have to punt this one back to you, as I'm not sure what you mean by "mid-size city"
2. I don't think they will build light rail in the area anytime soon, as the area has several normal or "heavy" rail lines that can (and will shortly) support passenger rail. Why build a new at-grade rail network when you already have an existing network?
3. Traffic....well....depending on where one lives in relation to the city proper, traffic can be dangerous. Is it Philly traffic, no. Is it heavy enough to cause fatal accidents on a regular basis, yes. Generally, the worst traffic is between the city proper (on the east bank of the river) and the newer suburbs (on the west side, or "west shore").
4. There are several buildings over 10 stories proposed, including a new downtown University, two new courthouses (State and Federal), and at least one additional parking complex that may hit that height.
5. I personally consider the Harrisburg Metro Area to consist of the 6 surrounding counties (clockwise), Dauphin (Home of HBG proper), Lebanon, Lancaster, York, Cumberland, and Perry.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2005, 11:04 PM
Me?!?

HARRISBURG

Knackstedt lists properties for sale

Package deal goes on block for $3.5 million

Tuesday, October 04, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Mary Knackstedt has named her price.

The interior designer-turned developer wants $3.5 million for her block of prime riverfront land along North Front Street.

And if she gets her price -- or an offer in the ballpark -- Knackstedt would consider walking away from her controversial plan to build a 32-unit luxury condominium building on the property, a spokesman said.

"This is a legitimate listing," said Knackstedt's real estate adviser, Don Paul Shearer. "If there is a buyer out there willing to pay the price, Mary would be delighted."

But the unusual listing forces buyers to bid on all three of the properties Knackstedt owns at 2901-2917 N. Front St. as a package deal, rather than offering them separately.

Shearer said grouping the properties together increases the value of the listing. He said the tract, extending between Division and Manor streets, contains seven 50-foot lots and is ripe for development. Two of the buildings have been converted to offices.

"There has never been a sale like this, where you have an entire block for sale." Shearer said. "I don't know what it's worth. What are you going to use for comparisons?"

Critics say the all-or-nothing sale will make it harder to find a buyer. Still, Historic Harrisburg Association, which is interested in preserving the three 1920s-era houses on the property, vowed to help find a buyer who would keep the buildings intact.

"We are aware of people who are interested in the buildings," said Diane McCormick, HHA president. "I think that listing them as a package is a challenge, but we're ready to help anyway we can."

Meanwhile, Shearer said Knackstedt would continue to pursue her project for a five-story, $32 million condo development on the site.

Shearer said plans are in the works to appeal last week's decision by City Council to reject the project for zoning reasons.

He added that Knackstedt would continue to press the city to re-issue demolition permits for the three houses, which would have to be razed to make way for the condos.

Finally, a land development plan for the condo project is still pending before council, which has 60 days to take final action.

"Mary wants to go forward, and everything is moving forward," Shearer said. "In my opinion, she would prevail. But she is concerned about the costs of legal action."

Shearer said the sale price for the property would allow Knackstedt to recover most of what she's invested.

"This will test the waters," said Shearer, noting that he's already received several calls, including "serious" interest from at least three out-of-town developers, since the listing went up last Friday.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2005, 11:34 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmrg
3. Traffic....well....depending on where one lives in relation to the city proper, traffic can be dangerous. Is it Philly traffic, no. Is it heavy enough to cause fatal accidents on a regular basis, yes. Generally, the worst traffic is between the city proper (on the east bank of the river) and the newer suburbs (on the west side, or "west shore").
In my experience, Harrisburg traffic is terrifying! I find driving around the Harrisburg expressways to be much more dangerous than even Pittsburgh's major highways... everyone in Harrisburg seems to drive extremely fast!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2005, 11:46 PM
Me?!?

/\
Very fast speeds/everyone always in a rush + roads too small to handle all of the traffic + high congestion =

Wheelingman04, the traffic here is AWFUL!!! I live 4 miles from work and my commute is 20+ min. on a good day. It's nothing for it to take a half hour+ for me to get to/from work. Again, I am commuting only 4 miles.

As for your other questions, Spudmrg's comments were on point. Start on page 1 of this thread and you will quickly learn all you would want to about the area...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2005, 11:52 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Thanks guys for the information. I will definately look at this thread more often.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations