HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Should Canada still see the British Monarch as its own?
Continue to recognize the Monarchy 72 39.13%
Get rid of it 97 52.72%
Split Royal Family to reign Commonwealth members 15 8.15%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Since we don't have a GG, who will represent us at the funeral (if there is an in-person one)?
Who cares

The pandemic is a good reason to not sent anyone. I think I read that there will be no official ceremony as per the deceased's wishes.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 1:28 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Since we don't have a GG, who will represent us at the funeral (if there is an in-person one)?
Presumably the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, who is fulfilling most of the GG's duties as the Administrator of the Government (the crown's representative when the position of governor general isn't filled). If the Queen were to die before a new governor general is selected, he would also be responsible for proclaiming the new king.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 3:16 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Presumably the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, who is fulfilling most of the GG's duties as the Administrator of the Government (the crown's representative when the position of governor general isn't filled). If the Queen were to die before a new governor general is selected, he would also be responsible for proclaiming the new king.
Yes, his name is Richard Wagner, he wrote pretty good operas as well.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 4:03 AM
I am a typical

Yeah it's an interesting coincidence.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 4:21 AM

It is a moot point anyway, funeral is family-only because of COVID restrictions.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 1:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Any thoughts on the contrast between the CBC's all Philip all the time (well almost) coverage and the anti-colonial / decolonial crusade much of their programming focuses on most of the time?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Any thoughts on the contrast between the CBC's all Philip all the time (well almost) coverage and the anti-colonial / decolonial crusade much of their programming focuses on most of the time?
What's the connection?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
I wonder if the playbook didn’t predate woke CBC.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 5:53 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
I am looking at their website right now and the only thing about it is the weekly summary of Day 6, literally in the lowest and furthest right position on the home page.

Also, since native people consider their contracts to be between them and the crown, the death of the second closest person to the crown is actually something they're thinking about. Local coverage in Northern Ontario has been about Philip's visits with indigenous leaders here.

So by all means, do go ahead and say the rest of the things you're not saying in your observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
No. That can't be it.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 11:37 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
What are you trying to get at Mr. Acajack?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:01 AM

Quote:
It really annoys me that the CBC takes the royal family so seriously. Pure irony due to what you mentioned. I wish some more politicians outside Quebec would start speaking out against the monarchy in Canada.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
It really annoys me that the CBC takes the royal family so seriously. Pure irony due to what you mentioned. I wish some more politicians outside Quebec would start speaking out against the monarchy in Canada.
And replace it with what? A republic? We cannot agree on a common health tracking system, how the hell do you think we could come up with a replacement of our current system of government?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I am looking at their website right now and the only thing about it is the weekly summary of Day 6, literally in the lowest and furthest right position on the home page.

Also, since native people consider their contracts to be between them and the crown, the death of the second closest person to the crown is actually something they're thinking about. Local coverage in Northern Ontario has been about Philip's visits with indigenous leaders here.

So by all means, do go ahead and say the rest of the things you're not saying in your observation.
:
Yes, I am sure that the CBC national networks based in Toronto had treaties with Indigenous people in mind when they went all in on coverage of the Prince's death and tributes to him.

I actually don't care if Canada acts as though it has obvious ties to the UK. It's actually a bit ridiculous to claim as some do that the British (erm Canadian actually) Royals are no more relevant to Canada than say the Sultan of Brunei or Akihito in Japan.

If people can't see the ironic contradiction between all of the coverage about Philip this weekend and the CBC's anti-colonial and decolonial bent, then what can I say?

So if the Crown based in London is surprisingly but also conveniently exempted from our contemporary collective scorn for colonialism, then who or what is going to be the lightning rod for Canadian anti-colonial activism? Honest question.

You guys will be pleased to know that over the weekend on other forums I rapped on the knuckles of Québécois nationalists, media types and politicians who were asking questions like "why the fuck is the National Assembly's flag at half-mast for this guy?". It was fun to remind them (as a non-monarchist) that the deceased was one of the top people in the "Crown" structure which is the source of the power and authority of the legislature in question. Well, you'd think that most of them would know this and maybe they did...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
And replace it with what? A republic? We cannot agree on a common health tracking system, how the hell do you think we could come up with a replacement of our current system of government?
This is why I am a prudent abolitionist. I'd definitely be in favour of getting rid of it but I want to see a robust replacement plan ahead of time.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
No doubt. The CBC and our government as well have long had an Operation Forth Bridge (and an Operation London Bridge) plan in place, if you know what I mean.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I wish some more politicians outside Quebec would start speaking out against the monarchy in Canada.
And to what end? At least 20-25% of Canadians have a strong attachment to the Crown for whatever reason (tradition, pomp, heritage, anti-Americanism), and another 25-30% or so have a benign appreciation for the institution. Most of the rest of the population don't care one way or another and only about 20% or so are hard core republicans.

Most elections are decided by about 5-10% of the population. Why would any politician take a stand on a benign and arcane institution that could piss off enough people to cost them re-election?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:
I'm with you on that! At this point on our historical timeline, the British Monarchy should get as much press as the Danish Monarchy.

Last edited by Razor; Apr 12, 2021 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 5:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And to what end? At least 20-25% of Canadians have a strong attachment to the Crown for whatever reason (tradition, pomp, heritage, anti-Americanism), and another 25-30% or so have a benign appreciation for the institution. Most of the rest of the population don't care one way or another and only about 20% or so are hard core republicans.

Most elections are decided by about 5-10% of the population. Why would any politician take a stand on a benign and arcane institution that could piss off enough people to cost them re-election?
Agreed.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 11:43 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I'm with you on that! At this point on our historical timeline, the British Monarchy should get as much press as the Danish Monarchy.
Nonsense, you must have no sense of history at all. Canadian institutions, system of governments, language, and much of the culture has been based on British tradition since the beginning. I like Danish cheese and furniture though.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
The Quebecois grievance gene is strong with this one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada