HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
'I've done everything I can here': Jeff Hunt leaving partnership with 67's, Redblacks

Don Brennan, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: 5 hours ago • 1 minute read

After 23 years as an owner of sports franchises in Ottawa, Jeff Hunt is walking away from the game.

Hunt told Postmedia Wednesday he feels “the time is right” for him to leave his partnership with Ottawa Sports and Entertainment, which owns the CFL’s Redblacks and the OHL’s 67’s.

He stressed repeatedly that his decision has nothing to do with the coronavirus outbreak that has put the sports world on hold indefinitely.

Under Hunt’s guidance, the 67’s won the Memorial Cup in 1999, his first season in control, and the Redblacks won the Grey Cup in 2016, their third year.

“I’ve done everything I can here,” said Hunt, a 56-year old transplanted Newfoundlander who will continue to live in his condo overlooking TD Place. “It’s not a spontaneous decision. This has been on my mind for awhile. I just took stock of what I’ve done, and what I want to do.”

Hunt stepped down as OSEG president after the 2018 CFL season but remained a minority shareholder. He and the group have reached an agreement to buy him out of the partnership.

Hunt will remain a partner/president of Atletico Ottawa, which joined the Canadian Premier League.

More to come ….

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/foo...-5bc6ebc9fa3c/
He is also selling is unit in the Lansdowne condo that has a terrance view of the field for $2M
Pretty cool unit to host parties in if you ask me!
1035 Bank St Unit 307 for sale

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
He is also selling is unit in the Lansdowne condo that has a terrance view of the field for $2M
But the article says:

Quote:
“I’ve done everything I can here,” said Hunt, a 56-year old transplanted Newfoundlander who will continue to live in his condo overlooking TD Place. “It’s not a spontaneous decision. This has been on my mind for awhile. I just took stock of what I’ve done, and what I want to do."
?

But anyway, at $2M, you're paying for the not so free sporting/music events, not the condo.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Is it known that this is his unit? Nice terrace, but there are a few other units in that building for less than half the price that I would probably take and then just buy tickets to whatever I want. There is one unit on the 15th floor that faces north and you can see about 2/3 of the field from the side of the balcony that's listed for under $900k.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Is it known that this is his unit? Nice terrace, but there are a few other units in that building for less than half the price that I would probably take and then just buy tickets to whatever I want. There is one unit on the 15th floor that faces north and you can see about 2/3 of the field from the side of the balcony that's listed for under $900k.
It's his unit. I don't know if it was just recently re-listed or it has always been sitting on the market, but this article from Sept 2019 confirms it is his Tour Jeff Hunt's condo!.

Perhaps he will sit on it until he gets an offer and his happy to continue living there unless someone offers him ~2M.

I don't know if you looked at the pictures or not, but the view from his condo's terrace is pretty sweet - and his terrace is bigger than his unit!

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

'The future is very exciting': Hunt leaves OSEG to focus on growing pro soccer in Ottawa

By: David Sali
Published: May 14, 2020 10:11am EDT

In more than two decades as a sports entrepreneur, Jeff Hunt has shown a wealth of ambition and a talent for resuscitating moribund sports franchises.

Now, he’s about to put that passion and marketing acumen to the ultimate test.

After playing a vital role in the revival of junior hockey and CFL football in Ottawa, the 56-year-old Newfoundland native is tackling what might be his biggest challenge yet: turning the nation’s capital into a pro soccer town.

Hunt said this week he’s selling his interest in the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group ​– which owns the CFL’s Redblacks and Ontario Hockey League’s 67’s ​– to partners Roger Greenberg, John Ruddy, Bill Shenkman and John Pugh so he can focus on his new role as president and minority owner of Ottawa Atletico, a Canadian Soccer League expansion franchise that’s set to debut in 2021.

In 23 years as a sports owner in Ottawa, Hunt was front and centre when the 67’s captured a Memorial Cup title in 1999 and earned a Grey Cup ring as part of the Redblacks’ ownership group in 2016. Along the way, the man who made his name in business with a carpet-cleaning enterprise became known as something of a marketing guru, boosting junior hockey’s profile and giving the Redblacks a cool factor the CFL hadn’t enjoyed in Ottawa for at least a generation.

But now, he says, it’s time to move on.

“It’s always great if you can leave on a high note,” Hunt told OBJ on Thursday.

“I just spoke to Henry Burris this morning, and I told him he was a bit of an inspiration to me,” he added, referring to the former all-star quarterback who retired on the top of his profession after leading the Redblacks to a Grey Cup championship four years ago.

“Usually in sports, you’re told when to leave – you don’t get the option. So when you can choose your timing and the way you want to go and when, that is a privilege. So I took advantage of that.”

Hunt said the decision to step away from OSEG had been on his mind “for some time,” adding the coronavirus pandemic had nothing to do with the move. He said he simply felt he had accomplished everything he could in hockey and football, and he’s ready to embrace his new role as pro soccer’s chief salesman in Ottawa.

If Thursday’s interview was any indication, he’s already in mid-season form.

“To achieve the kind of results I would like to see, it’s going to take an enormous amount of effort to get to that point,” he said. “Soccer is still new to Canada really as a professional sport. It’s the No. 1 sport in the world – nobody denies that – and I think it’s only time before it will get to rival the No. 1 sports in Canada.

“I can imagine a day where you would see a virtually full stadium at TD Place for an Athletico game. I think the potential exists for that to happen. As I said when we launched, if we don’t achieve that, I’ll die trying.”

Soccer powerhouse

The new Ottawa franchise’s majority owner, Atletico Madrid, is a powerhouse in Spain’s top soccer league and one of the world’s most valuable sports brands. Hunt said he’s hoping the partnership will help accelerate the game’s growth in a city where hockey is still king.

“Ottawa doesn’t have an iconic soccer brand in its history, so why not transport one from Europe which people recognize?” he said. “Hopefully what we’re going to deliver is a product as close to replicating what I have seen in Europe here. We just have to get in that mindset.”

Hunt said he fervently believes that once fans get a taste of the atmosphere in a stadium packed to the rafters with rabid soccer fans, the experience will practically sell itself.

“It’s a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy in that if you can get that many people, the ambience would be so amazing that it would continue to (draw) that many people because it would be such a spectacle,” he said. “That’s the dream.”

Creating that experience is the key to turning pro soccer into a viable business, he added.

The city’s most recent franchise, the OSEG-backed Fury, never caught on the way the ownership team hoped it would after a promising start. The team, which dissolved in late 2019 after six years in existence, attracted an average of about 4,500 fans to 24,000-seat TD Place in its last couple of seasons.

Hunt said he’s confident that once soccer has proven it can capture the attention of ticket-buyers, sponsors will inevitably follow.

“Everything in sports revolves around bums in seats – everything,” he said. “If you fill the building, you’ll sell your sponsorships. Sponsors want eyeballs, and they want to be a part of something that the community embraces. That’s why the Redblacks have done so well with the corporate community, because it’s the place to be.”

Atletico Ottawa was originally slated to debut this spring, but the COVID-19 crisis derailed those plans. Hunt said he’s planning to make the most of the forced hiatus.

“It’s unfortunate we’re going to have to wait a year to fully execute (the business plan), but hopefully we’ll take advantage of this additional time we have to really get it right,” he said.

“People are going to have this pent-up energy and demand to go to mass gatherings. There might be a slow progression, but there's no doubt that we will return to normal. The future is very exciting.”

https://www.obj.ca/article/future-ve...-soccer-ottawa

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 5:10 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Assuming that participants and fans are willing and able to travel here in 10 months...

Quote:
Ottawa to host 2021 world men's curling championship

By: David Sali, OBJ
Published: Jun 16, 2020 3:46pm EDT

Reeling from the COVID-19 pandemic, Ottawa’s beleaguered tourism industry is hoping the city will be ready to rock when it welcomes the world’s best curlers to the capital next spring.

Curling Canada said Tuesday that the 2021 world men’s curling championship will be held at TD Place area next April 3-11. It will be the first time the nation’s capital has hosted the international curling showdown ​– but more importantly, it’s slated to be among the first major public events held in the city in what’s expected to be a pivotal year for the tourism sector as it attempts to rebound from the disastrous effects of the COVID-19 lockdown.

Mayor Jim Watson said the event will be a “big shot in the arm” for an industry that normally employs more than 40,000 people and pumps in excess of $2 billion into the city’s economy each year.

Local MPP Lisa MacLeod, who also serves as the provincial minister for tourism, culture and sport, told reporters on Tuesday the bonspiel is expected to generate more than $3.6 million in economic activity.

That will be welcome news for tourism-related businesses. Measures imposed to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus slowed tourism in the capital to a virtual standstill this spring, and experts say the local economy stands to take a hit of more than $1 billion in 2020 due in large part to cancellations of significant attractions such as Bluesfest and Canada Day festivities.

“We’ve lost a lot of major events this year as a result of the pandemic,” Watson said, adding he hopes next April’s championship will be an “amazing boost” to hotels, restaurants and other hospitality businesses that have seen a dramatic drop in traffic over the past several months.

“Now, more than ever, we look to these large-scale events like this to engage our community and boost our local economy,” added Ottawa Tourism CEO Michael Crockatt.

TD Place last hosted a major curling event four years ago when the Canadian men’s championship, known as the Brier, came to town. The arena typically has a seating capacity of 9,500, but curling officials said they’re still working with the World Health Organization and other health experts to determine seating arrangements and establish safety protocols for next year’s event.

“Obviously, we’re going to put public health first and foremost,” MacLeod said.

Thirteen teams from around the world will take part in next April’s championship, which also serves as an Olympic qualifying event for many entrants.

The 2020 men's championship in Glasgow, Scotland, was cancelled because of the COVID-19 pandemic as was the women's tournament in Prince George, B.C.

https://www.obj.ca/article/ottawa-ho...g-championship

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:05 PM

Another classless move by the Sens. After Bobby Ryan went to rehab, came back, performed better than he had in year and won the Masterton Trophy, they are now buying him out.

We officially have no one left from the 2017 Stanley Cup run.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/...ger-bobby-ryan

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:44 PM

They should have bought him out 2 years ago. I would assume that he was aware of this plan and in agreement before it hit the media.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:10 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I have no problem with this (as long as he wasn't blindsighted by it). Bobby is a good guy who obviously struggled with some issues, but his contract was very problematic on this budget team. We need to free up those funds to hopefully pay Tkachuk, etc.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:18 PM

If this was done a few years ago, I would not have had as much of an issue with this. The timing is absolutely terrible. I too hope that they discussed this with him beforehand, though I wouldn't put it pass them.

At the moment, we're below the salary cap floor at the moment according to CapFreindly, and that's before the Ryan buyout. Is the plan to take in some injured or inactive players from other teams?

https://www.capfriendly.com/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:31 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Either that, or bringing on one or more low salary/high cap hit players to reach the floor.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:15 PM

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 7:54 PM

With Bobby being clean, and having a new view on life I think the timing on this might be just right. He is overpaid, and that is not his fault. So it doesn't make much sense for him to remain on this roster at that rate. Another team will take him on for sure at a more reasonable salary, and knowing where he is in his life will probably play as a positive. Plus the Sens can afford the payout hit against the cap since as others mentioned it helps them get to the cap floor.

He'd be a good 3rd line winger for a lot of teams with PP upside and the potential to play in the top 6.

I'm not a Sens fan per se, but I do pull for the local team and although some may feel the timing of this is unfair, I think it works out for all parties in the end.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 8:49 PM

I hope you're right and Bobby can move on to something better.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:45 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

OSEG lays off 40 per cent of business operations staff

Tim Baines • Postmedia
Publishing date: Sep 30, 2020 • Last Updated 7 minutes ago • 3 minute read

Slammed by the stifling effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group has “terminated” 40 per cent of its business operations staff.

Postmedia has obtained a copy of a letter sent to OSEG and TD Place staff members Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday, one-on-one Zoom meetings were held with employees.

In the letter, OSEG CEO Mark Goudie said: “This is a day that I hoped we would never see. We have been desperately trying to navigate from the day that we closed TD Place in March, through our many COVID-19-related challenges, to get to a happier time when we are back to making memories. Unfortunately, that day had not yet arrived and we need to reduce our staffing levels.”

Six months ago, OSEG put in across-the-board 20 per cent wage rollbacks which allowed the company to avoid layoffs – at least for the short term.

Goudie told employees OSEG re-did its budget in April/May, reducing expected revenues by more than 50 per cent – slashed from more than $50 million to $25 million – with the company’s expenses not changing proportionately. That significantly increased the amount of money the OSEG partners would have to contribute.

“Our assumption at that time was that we would not see another ticketed event at TD Place in 2020,” said Goudie in the letter. “We forecasted that in early 2021, we would start getting back to some sort of normal with hockey games and concerts at the arena. In addition, it was assumed that we would be making plans to have our Redblacks and 67’s joined by our three new sports tenants in the spring, summer and fall of 2021. With that, and aided by our salary reductions, the federal government wage subsidy program and increased financial contributions by our OSEG owners, we would be able to weather the pandemic and keep everyone in place.

“Current trends with increasing COVID-19 cases and the lack of progress toward the levels of gatherings that our business requires leaves me with very low confidence in those assumptions. I believe, despite significant cost containment measures which we have implemented to-date, that our revised financial plan is not achievable and this will result in a longer recovery period that will require even more money to be contributed by our OSEG owners.

“As an organization, we can’t just survive this pandemic. Daunting as it may appear in this moment, we need to come out of it ready to thrive because Ottawa, our region and our four-million plus visitors are relying on us to give them the best Redblacks, 67’s and other sports, music and entertainment experiences that we are able to when it is safe to do so.”

The moves do not affect the hockey and football operations side of OSEG.

Employees let go will be put on paid inactive lead for October at 100 per cent salary. Their employment will be terminated effective Nov. 1. A further continuation of salary at 100 per cent at least until the end of November, or longer for those with longer tenure. Health and dental benefits will be offered until the end of this calendar year. All accrued vacation will also be paid out.

So why are the workers being terminated as opposed to laid off?

Said Goudie in the letter: “We believe that terminations are better for our negatively impacted team members. Layoffs have been used by many companies during this pandemic to reduce payroll as they wait to see how their business might be impacted longer-term. This left many people in limbo waiting to see if their employment would be terminated with notice or severance at the end of a 35-week layoff period. We did not want to go this route. Termination allows us to provide a better financial outcome, and some certainty, for our team members when they will need it most. Hopefully that will allow for our affected team members the time to find alternative employment without undue financial hardship.

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/foo...erations-staff

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:59 PM

Although this is obviously devastating for the employees that have been let go, I commend OSEG for holding on for this long. The severance package also seems to be well built to ease the impact.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Although this is obviously devastating for the employees that have been let go, I commend OSEG for holding on for this long. The severance package also seems to be well built to ease the impact.

I agree. It's tough, but back in the first few weeks there was some naive optimism that this would all pass in a few months and things would be back to normal. Their plan seems cautious from that perspective, acknowledging that they were unlikely to have any events until 2021. Now with the way things are going, major events will be the last thing to return to normal, and I think it's still a tossup if we'll see the CFL play in 2021. Tough times for sure.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:10 PM

Quote:
'A REAL SHAME TO LOSE ANY OF OUR SPORTS TEAMS': City hall keeping an eye on health of local franchises

Jon Willing, Postmedia
October 29, 2020

City hall has the health of Ottawa’s sports franchises in mind as it considers ways to carry the clubs through, and beyond, the economically disastrous pandemic.

While the municipal government doesn’t have any say over the operation of leagues, it does own big sports assets used by the majority of Ottawa’s pro franchises. The outlier is the Ottawa Senators, which owns the Canadian Tire Centre in Kanata.

When it comes to large municipal facilities, TD Place at Lansdowne Park and Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton ballpark on Coventry Road are the ones with professional sports tenants.

Not wanting to put pro baseball in a squeeze play, the City of Ottawa has allowed a financial safety net for the new tenant at the baseball stadium, recognizing that the ongoing public health crisis might hurt the new franchise.

Derrick Moodie, the city’s director of corporate real estate, said this week that a “force majeure” clause has been added to the lease, acknowledging the unknown economic impact of the pandemic and the city’s interest in providing “flexibility” to the baseball club led by Winnipeg’s Sam Katz, who’s receiving support from the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG).

The team, which is paying $125,000 in annual rent for 10 years and covering $473,000 owed by the owner of the defunct Ottawa Champions franchise, is scheduled to play its first game in the Frontier League next spring.

Force majeure clauses typically recognize unavoidable events hindering a party from delivering on the terms of a contract.

“We did introduce a force majeure clause that does provide some relaxation if this pandemic situation we’re currently dealing with continues on into next year,” Moodie said.

City manager Steve Kanellakos said the municipal government doesn’t want to kill an opportunity for keeping a tenant in the baseball stadium.

“We can’t be shortsighted about this,” Kanellakos said. “We’re taking a longer-term view.”

In press briefings this week, Kanellakos underscored the importance of the sports, arts, culture and entertainment sectors to Ottawa. The sports franchises fuel the city’s larger economic development goals and the staff recommendation to council will be to provide flexibility when it comes to the city-owned facilities, he said.

“I think it would be a real shame to lose any of our sports teams,” Kanellakos said. “I think it really hurts the local economy and I think it hurts our ability to attract people because we have a high-tech sector that’s burgeoning, we have a lot of other sectors doing really well here in the city and are continuing to do well, despite COVID, and I think they need to be able to attract employees and workers, and part of attracting people is making the city a vibrant place.”

A major sports asset owned by municipal taxpayers is TD Place under the long-term tenancy of OSEG.

Kanellakos didn’t say what measures could be considered regarding TD Place and OSEG.

The city could consider granting relief to the OSEG from obligations under its current partnership agreement, although the company didn’t provide insight Thursday on whether it would seek flexibility from city hall.

OSEG only pays $1 in base rent rent for the stadium complex. However, the company is also required to make payments to reserve accounts for lifecycle repairs of the stadium and related underground parking.

City council will soon get a good idea about how the pandemic has impacted OSEG, though there are already the obvious indicators, such as the cancellation of the 2020 Canadian Football League season and a delay to the Ontario Hockey League season. On top of that, professional soccer and basketball leagues used playing locations outside of Ottawa during the pandemic. Concerts and other special events booked for TD Place have been cancelled or rescheduled.

Under financial strain, the company terminated the employment of several people in September.

OSEG is expected to provide an annual update to city council members in November.
https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...1-f75f485df59f

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 12:58 PM

I didn't realize we had lost the Ottawa Aces Rugby Club back in 2021, not that I'm surprised.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...r-ottawa-aces/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 6:17 PM

Local Firm sponsors GG football

PROFILE: Lekadir LLP makes five-year commitment, with alumnus at the helm
Posted: Apr 22, 2022

The Gee-Gees Football Program is proud to welcome Lekadir LLP as a season sponsor for the upcoming 2022 season as part of an exciting five-year agreement.

Youcef Lekadir is the Managing Partner of Lekadir LLP, a Chartered Professional Accounting firm providing a full range of accounting, assurance, tax, and advisory services. Lekadir graduated from the Telfer School of Management at uOttawa in 2012 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree with a Specialization in Accounting.

A defensive lineman for the Gee-Gees from 2007-11, Lekadir says the time was right for him to start supporting the team in a new way. "I saw that the program needed support from ex-players, and I like the relationships that I've built both with the team and the University since I re-engaged. There is a lot of potential for the future."

Lekadir has made a habit of seeing potential. After a strong first ten years of his professional career as a CPA, he has turned to entrepreneurship and is building a growing CPA firm of his own. Based in Ottawa, he has grown Lekadir LLP from a six-person organization to a 35-person team of accountants in only three years, with a goal to reach 50 people in the next two years.

"Being there for my clients was always a role I took very seriously," he says, and that care has now been extended to managing a firm and building a thriving culture.

"I remember my time on the team for the friendships and the connections that I made," Lekadir continues. "The life lessons of football - hard work and dedication - get enhanced by going through a university program from start to finish, exceling at sport, school, and work."

"The bonds are so strong, but then everyone runs off and does their own thing. At the end of the day, I want everything that I've been a part of; the football team, the University, Telfer, and the city of Ottawa, I want it all to prosper and do well. I'd like to see a strong alumni community and I'm just doing my small part."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation