HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
the colourful building across the street.
The Charles Tupper Building

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Agreed. And not just because it's necessary but also because if we build something there we will once and for all stop the Tories from reviving that godawful Victims of Communism memorial they were/are still in favour of building.
Already being built in Garde of the provinces.

It doesn't necessarily half to be a sports field, it just strikes me as the kind of democratically significant thing a country should do with badly used space - open it to the people.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Is it more valuable than in Singapore, DC or San Francisco?

The lawn in front serves the purposes pictured, the land to to the west is to be developed as part of a plan for a precinct with no lack of greenspace and far less surface parking.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 2:43 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
The lawn in front serves the purposes pictured, the land to to the west is to be developed as part of a plan for a precinct with no lack of greenspace and far less surface parking.
Uh. Have you ever seen a single sport being played on that lawn? Or in front of the supreme court?

But otherwise, that's good to know.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 10:59 AM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergate View Post
Uh. Have you ever seen a single sport being played on that lawn? Or in front of the supreme court?

When I worked PCH, we used to have informal Sunday soccer on the west lawn against the Parliament guides. In the summer, you'll also see the occasional frisbee, soccer, and - most famously - Wednesday yoga.
Granted, the sports use is light and informal. But it's definitely permitted and, with a bit of programming, could become quite popular.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Every lunch hour, now that good weather is back, I see people playing frisbee or soccer(with pop up nets) on the Supreme Court lawn, and yesterday afternoon there was a pretty intense softball game going (with bases and home plate and everything).

This is reminding me of the thread back in March of folk complaining about how empty the Garden of the Provinces and Territories is. These days, you have to have good luck to find a spot on a bench in your preference of shade or sun at lunch hour, and I pass a half dozen people commuting in each direction when I go through each morning and evening.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Every lunch hour, now that good weather is back, I see people playing frisbee or soccer(with pop up nets) on the Supreme Court lawn, and yesterday afternoon there was a pretty intense softball game going (with bases and home plate and everything).

This is reminding me of the thread back in March of folk complaining about how empty the Garden of the Provinces and Territories is. These days, you have to have good luck to find a spot on a bench in your preference of shade or sun at lunch hour, and I pass a half dozen people commuting in each direction when I go through each morning and evening.
I live around there, so I walk around all these places once in a while in the evening. I can't comment on lunch hours, but most definitely feel under used later on in the day.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:

I've seen footyball and generic disc sport being played on the Supreme Court lawn.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 1:23 PM

Quote:
I live around there, so I walk around all these places once in a while in the evening. I can't comment on lunch hours, but most definitely feel under used later on in the day.
You live your life, but one conclusion you could draw is that otherwise-well-used fields are free at during the times your available, so you have a rare opportunity to enjoy a scarce resource.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:01 AM

Dynamic Ottawa. What would it take?

Ottawa has been maligned as the city that fun forgot. I believe that is not really true.

What does Ottawa need to add or change to end that perception?

What will make visitors want to come back again and again and tell their friends to come?

What will it take to extend one night visits?

What will draw many visitors from our neighbours in Montreal and Toronto for weekend getaways? Are we already getting many?

What are Ottawa's current strengths and weaknesses? We know there are strengths.

Is Ottawa building things today that will help in the future?

Overall, what will help improve Ottawa's overall reputation as a city both within Canada and internationally?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:09 AM

Let’s start with more reliable transit.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 2:12 AM

Ottawa has many parks, but nothing like Montreal (Mount Royal Park, La Fontaine Park, Maisonneuve Park, St. Helen's Island, Notre Dame Island)

Many fun exterior pools in Montreal, but in Ottawa... (wading pools are good, but not for everyone)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 2:35 AM

A truly walkable city. Not just better transit. Nobody goes to Montreal to ride the metro.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
A truly walkable city. Not just better transit. Nobody goes to Montreal to ride the metro.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
This is a noble goal in and of itself, but I don't think it will make the city stand out or feel "special". (If those are objectives.)

I am old enough to remember the 1980s when even the top tier of U.S. cities were quite troubled and Canadian cities (especially Toronto) were much vaunted by Canadians and Americans alike as marvels of urbanity "that worked".

Then a lot of American cities got their act together (NYC, Boston, DC, etc.) and all of a sudden Canadian cities didn't feel so special.

So if Ottawa goes this route, it should do it for Ottawans. Not to add lustre to impress outsiders. As anything of that nature is likely to be copies and therefore short-lived in terms of "shine" effect.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Let's hope we get Lebreton and surrounding lands right. I always worry about that section between Bronson and Bank, that has been a wasteland for pedestrians. It only takes a block or so of nothing interesting, to deter pedestrians.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is a noble goal in and of itself, but I don't think it will make the city stand out or feel "special". (If those are objectives.)

I am old enough to remember the 1980s when even the top tier of U.S. cities were quite troubled and Canadian cities (especially Toronto) were much vaunted by Canadians and Americans alike as marvels of urbanity "that worked".

Then a lot of American cities got their act together (NYC, Boston, DC, etc.) and all of a sudden Canadian cities didn't feel so special.

So if Ottawa goes this route, it should do it for Ottawans. Not to add lustre to impress outsiders. As anything of that nature is likely to be copies and therefore short-lived in terms of "shine" effect.
You are right of course. American cities were ruined by downtown expressways and white flight back in the 1950s to 1980s. There are definite improvements in American cities in recent years, but many of those cities still have the downtown expressways, and substandard transit that requires too many downtown parking lots and a lack of pedestrian traffic. Lots of pedestrian traffic does animate a city.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 5:05 PM

Not the best timing, but an indoor attraction that isn’t a museum.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 7:18 PM

Ottawa will always have a quiet reputation regardless of what it does. It's part and parcel of being a created national capitol. This is why it will also be used as a swear word by Canadians...........saying Ottawa is de facto saying the government. It of course is also viewed as a fat cat city. How can Ottawa seem exciting when it's only 200 km from Montreal and sandwiched between Montreal & Toronto?

I agree that Ottawa has no inner city parks little alone downtown. It certainly has the beautiful Rideau Canal but no actual parks or gardens. It's a very odd omission for a national capitol.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 8:33 PM
Busy Beaver

Ottawa focuses way too much on middle to affluent (mostly family) tourism. We need to encourage youth and budget travellers. Sure we have the Nicholas gaol hostel, but there are very little other backpackers places. In many places in Europe, there are municipal hostels that allow young people to discover and participate in cultural activities on their own. Ottawa will forever be labelled a "boring" place to visit unless it starts seriously catering to this segment.

The other aspect that needs support and encouragement is the creative class. Ottawa has become increasingly gentrified, pushing affordable spaces conducive to artistic activity out of the picture. We need more incubators for originality and uniqueness.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion