HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 3:33 AM

[Dartmouth] 398-400 Windmill | 31 & 24 m | 9 & 7 fl | Approved

New proposal for the northern section of Windmill Road across from Shannon Park (Nootka Avenue) This will replace Ship Victory Lounge with a two building residential project. There will be commercial uses and common recreational space on the podium. The northern portion of the site is encumbered by a NSP easement so it will remain a parking lot.

Case 20694 Details

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 1:01 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This was my neighborhood for many years. I hope the Ship Victory stays as well as I always loved their breakfast. As far as the rendering I have no major issues as it's a good scale development for that location.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 9:15 PM

Bold proposal, very bold proposal. I have doubts about the location and the market. This is a patient money project.

The pub was owned by Don Valardo, now deceased, and when he was a Dartmouth councillor and member of the Business Commission he made sure that no licensed business opened in Burnside in competition with his establishment until the Tory government allowed a new pub on Akerley some time after the 1978 election.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
This was my neighborhood for many years. I hope the Ship Victory stays as well as I always loved their breakfast. As far as the rendering I have no major issues as it's a good scale development for that location.
In todays market I never understood where the Ship Victory obtained any customers. No more Forces personnel at Shannon Park, not a whole lot of residents nearby, not a huge number of employers.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Bold proposal, very bold proposal. I have doubts about the location and the market. This is a patient money project.

The pub was owned by Don Valardo, now deceased, and when he was a Dartmouth councillor and member of the Business Commission he made sure that no licensed business opened in Burnside in competition with his establishment until the Tory government allowed a new pub on Akerley some time after the 1978 election.
Holy conflict of interest, Batman!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 11:34 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
New proposal for the northern section of Windmill Road across from Shannon Park (Nootka Avenue) This will replace Ship Victory Lounge with a two building residential project. There will be commercial uses and common recreational space on the podium. The northern portion of the site is encumbered by a NSP easement so it will remain a parking lot.

Case 20694 Details
Looks like many other designs / proposals / buildings in Halifax. Shoebox with small vinyl windows and a flat roof..Vinyl siding maybe?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Holy conflict of interest, Batman!
He was big and loud and used words unique to the English language, so unique that he was the only person who knew of their 'existence'.
I don't think 'conflict of interest' was a phrase within his general understanding.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Vinyl siding maybe?
Looks like it might be Hardie Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P.
In todays market I never understood where the Ship Victory obtained any customers. No more Forces personnel at Shannon Park, not a whole lot of residents nearby, not a huge number of employers.
Yeah, that is a good question. Maybe Burnside workers?

And actually, I have eaten there a couple of times. Food was decent, and it's a pretty nice atmosphere. In a way I feel like we're losing out with the closing of pubs like this one and Neighbours. I do enjoy places like Stillwells and such, but sometimes you just want a cheap, cold beer and pub grub in a place with lots of wood.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Looks like many other designs / proposals / buildings in Halifax. Shoebox with small vinyl windows and a flat roof..Vinyl siding maybe?
Part 3.5 of the Development Agreement Application, identifies the "construction" material as curtain wall and precast. I assume that the architect meant to say "exterior finish."

Details: http://www.halifax.ca/planning/appli...ectsReport.pdf

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 3:26 PM

Housing Accelerator Fund proposed changes for this site;

Quote:
• This site has an existing DA option available for additional density.
• The maximum height in the COR Zone is 9 storeys as per policy direction in the Centre Plan on sites not abutting established residential areas
• The proposed height on this property is proposed to be increased to 9 storeys, consistent with neighbouring parcels.
• Any density in addition to the proposed 9 storey COR Zone can potentially be achieved through the existing DA.
Regional Centre Development Requests

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth