HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:44 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Indeed. Some people can be outright crazy. I think the issue with Santa Monica in particular is that some members of the community - who tend to be the most vocal - fight any change, while simultaneously complaining about housing affordability, which to this group is just infuriating. However, just because they are the most vocal does not mean they are in the majority. That being said, this project has been bent to the will of a lot of that community input, as well as input from the City Council, so hoping this one in its current state moves forward. I, for one, am really looking forward to those pink metal panels.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 5:22 PM

Perfectly summarized, the irony is of course beyond absurd, but that's SaMo for you...

In other potentially huge news, Onni is making another push in Mid-Wilshire area-

Onni buys Mid-Wilshire development site with plans for apartment high-rise

https://www.bizjournals.com/losangel...rise-site.html

The property spans a full block between Detroit Street and South Cloverdale Avenue on the south side of Wilshire. The site lies a block west of the Metro station under construction on the corner of La Brea Avenue.

There are no height restrictions on the site, lending it to the development of high-rise apartments.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 6:13 PM

Samo makes me think of the nimbyism that got really extreme in SF over 20 yrs ago. however, nearby silicon valley has become such a cultural & economic force, that proposals to build more or other skyscrapers in SF are now accepted as a given. I recall when the notion of much more than the transamerica tower, designed by LA architect William pereira, being added to its skyline was viewed as unrealistic. Trends & expectations do change.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post

In addition to their proposed Wilshire Courtyard development. Onni bullish on the Purple Line extension.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 10:01 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
Perfectly summarized, the irony is of course beyond absurd, but that's SaMo for you...

In other potentially huge news, Onni is making another push in Mid-Wilshire area-

The property spans a full block between Detroit Street and South Cloverdale Avenue on the south side of Wilshire. The site lies a block west of the Metro station under construction on the corner of La Brea Avenue.

There are no height restrictions on the site, lending it to the development of high-rise apartments.
Interesting to note that this lot includes the famous skeuomorphic art deco camera left over from a pre-war camera store. I imagine historical preservationists will fight to preserve this detail, as they should.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 10:26 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Interesting to note that this lot includes the famous skeuomorphic art deco camera left over from a pre-war camera store. I imagine historical preservationists will fight to preserve this detail, as they should.
The Art Deco structure on the corner of Detroit and Wilshire that houses the Post Office looks pretty nice too. Hopefully that can also be incorporated into the design.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 11:39 PM

Highrise Residential - 6055 CENTER DRIVE

Anyone know about this rare residential high rise proposal for the Westside?

http://tca-arch.com/work/6055-center-drive/

"TCA is currently re-designing “6055 Center Drive” located at the Howard Hughes Center. The building is a 19-story high-rise with 3 stories of below grade parking. Well located, the Class-A property will target local Silicon Beach residents and capture the amazing views of Los Angeles and LAX. The community will provide 9,000 SF of amenity space. The roof-top has a sky-deck, fire pits, grille space, and outdoor dining. The fifth floor has a pool deck, private cabanas, firepits, zen garde, club room, and indoor/outdoor fitness. At grade is a dog run and green belt."

Location appears to an empty lot near Howard Hughes Center,. https://www.google.com/maps/place/60...4d-118.3902021

Last edited by HeySparky; May 17, 2022 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:16 AM

Wow, great news for both!

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:32 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I heard rumblings about a mid-rise or high rise near Howard Hughes, but this is the first time we've seen renderings. Not sure that's the best place for that density, as it's not very well transit-served, but we do need the housing, so beggars can't be choosers. Especially when TCA is the design architect.

The Onni news on Wilshire is pretty amazing. Selfishly, I'll be sad to see Ariyoshi go (it's my go-to neighborhood sushi joint that's got a reasonable Happy Hour), and Busby's has been an institution in this location for some time (my wife worked for that group in that building in her early days in LA). That being said, outside of the skeuomorphic art deco camera (didn't know that was a thing!), there's not much to save on that stretch, architecturally. The post office building is in pretty awful disrepair, and has had much of it's ground floor covered over, and is not worth saving in my opinion. The added density and housing is much needed here, and you couldn't pick a better place for it.

That being said, this is a HUGE lot that includes the two surface lots behind the buildings fronting Wilshire, and could take on 2-3 towers, not just one. I really hope this is designed well and contains more than just residential, and rather a mix of uses: retail, some office, and possibly some community/concert/special use space. This is too good of an opportunity to waste to just have one tower here with a massive, above ground parking podium. And I hope Onni brings on a good architect - I've been dying for a SHoP tower in this area, given it's Art Deco past - but they don't have the greatest track record of bringing on great architects.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Not sure that's the best place for that density, as it's not very well transit-served, but we do need the housing, so beggars can't be choosers. Especially when TCA is the design architect.
This will be walking distance from the Sepulveda/405 heavy rail/skytrain Metro station en route to LAX and will be bustling with people in several years… hopefully by the end of the decade

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 3:23 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Looking at all 4 alternatives under consideration for the Sepulveda Transit Corridor project on the MTA site, I don't see a single one that goes south of the 10 Freeway. Is there another alternative that goes this far south?

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Looking at all 4 alternatives under consideration for the Sepulveda Transit Corridor project on the MTA site, I don't see a single one that goes south of the 10 Freeway. Is there another alternative that goes this far south?
https://media.metro.net/projects_stu...y%20Report.pdf

Look for phase 2. Scroll down to page 31. The within the decade; I said before, relates to only if we can get it fastracked for the Olympics or from extra infrastructure bill money… otherwise we are waiting until 2050’s. Metro has already started preliminary studies and a couple years ago did community outreach speculating and hearing from citizens about the different alignments for Sepulveda, centinela, 405. My guess is that we will see either HRT 405 or HRT Sepulveda. With HRT 405, there will be a station right outside the doors of the Howard Hughes development area. These areas will be prime real estate

Last edited by hughfb3; May 18, 2022 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:34 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Look for phase 2. Scroll down to page 31. The within the decade; I said before, relates to only if we can get it fastracked for the Olympics or from extra infrastructure bill money… otherwise we are waiting until 2050’s. Metro has already started preliminary studies and a couple years ago already had community outreach speculating and hearing from citizens about the different alignments for Sepulveda, centinela, 405. My guess is that we will see either HRT 405 or HRT Sepulveda. With HRT 405, there will be a station right outside the doors of the Howard Hughes development area. These areas will be prime real estate
Below the 10, does Sepulveda or Overland have higher density/anticipated ridership? I'd probably go with HRT Overland or HRT Sepulveda based on that answer. Otherwise, I agree with either route as a Sepulveda extension to LAX. The Purple Line Extension to LAX doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially once the Crenshaw northern extension to the Purple Line is complete. A one seat ride for people from the Valley to LAX seems more ideal.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:55 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Ah, gotcha! Thank you, hughfb3!

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 7:09 PM

Hollywood Park Retail/Residential - Inglewood, CA

https://twitter.com/hollywoodparkca

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 7:17 PM

^ Looks about as insular as it gets-- a real fortress. And look at those incredibly wide streets around it. Not a fan of this part of LA at all.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
^ Looks about as insular as it gets-- a real fortress. And look at those incredibly wide streets around it. Not a fan of this part of LA at all.
Most of America looks like this, dense downtown financial districts are the exception.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 8:11 PM

I hope all of those buildings will be covered in solar panels.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 8:26 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I hope all of those buildings will be covered in solar panels.
Unlikely. Here are the renderings. Looks to be one of those insular outdoor shopping mall fortresses kind of like the Citadel or something. Why not make it more open? Isn't Intuit Dome going to be right across from it on Century Blvd? They should make it more pedestrian friendly and accessible so people could easily go there before and after games.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 8:39 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
It's also really unfortunate that the Crenshaw line does not pass through this sports complex. Now they'll need to spend an additional $1.4B to build the APM. And it won't even have a stop at Intuit Dome. And if they're going to build it, might as well connect it all the way to the C Line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations