HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 3:42 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
That'll be the day. There is no chance in hell they are using terracotta on a new construction project or any project where they aren't being forced to for preservation or historic reasons.
Check out Boston Valley's portfolio... They have several modern buildings there, including a random bank in Mokena. I'm sure the stuff isn't cheap, but it's not prohibitive for a luxury project in Lakeview - esp. when parking ratios are reduced and there's more leasable space in the envelope.

It doesn't look like they're proposing any ornament, so they might be able to get by using only 5-6 different flat pieces in large mass-produced quantity - a lot of the expense of terracotta for historic restoration lies in the crapload of customized ornament pieces, and in matching the finish to existing. That wouldn't happen here.

I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if the architect was talking about terracotta on neighboring buildings and the reporter misinterpreted, but it's not like it's impossible either.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 4:10 AM

I would guess the architect said something about the contextual design making reference to the glazed terra cotta of the Alley building next door and it was likely misinterpreted by the reporter.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
I would guess the architect said something about the contextual design making reference to the glazed terra cotta of the Alley building next door and it was likely misinterpreted by the reporter.
There is definitely such a thing as using terra cotta in modern construction, usually in a plain panel rather than a sculpted tile. Often it is incorporated into a rain screen system like metal panels.

For instance, the new cladding on Tigerman's Anti-Cruelty Society for Animals is Terra Cotta. I don't know if they would go that high quality here (it is more likely to be precast concrete), but it is possible.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 6:13 AM

There's lots of free brick and terracotta buried east of Michigan avenue. Bring your own shovel.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 6:23 AM

Good news/bad news on the Toyota Park Transit Center project.

Good news: Ceremonial groundbreaking recently occurred, with construction set to start in the spring and a late summer 2014 opening.

Bad news: JGMA's original design got VE'd away. Here's the latest renderings:

...and here's what could have been:

------

Also, saw this on JGMA's site. Don't think I've seen their design for Chinatown library. More pictures here.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 7:01 AM
TL;DR

New transit center is still pretty damn slick, especially if they use some really nice materials (black brick, polycarbonate, etc).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 10:49 AM

Speaking of JGMA, the NE IL Univ El Centro building is shaping up nicely from the Kennedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh9 View Post
Good news/bad news on the Toyota Park Transit Center project.
And speaking of Toyota Park:
(FYI the article's reader comments also has a couple people giving their observations about other nearby crossings that should have grade separation projects.)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,1669570.story
71st Street underpass opens near Toyota Park
November 2, 2013

A long-awaited underpass that opened Saturday in Bridgeview is expected to improve traffic flow around nearby Toyota Park, where cars were often stalled by slow-moving trains.

The new 71st Street underpass will allow traffic to drive under the CSX and Indiana Harbor Belt tracks near Harlem Avenue. The crossing, just west of the 20,000-seat arena where the Chicago Fire play, sees about 80 trains a day, often creating traffic backups.

The $30 million project began about two years ago and involved separating four tracks.

... Lipinski helped secure funds for the project, which was part of the regional CREATE program. The Chicago Region Environmental and Transportation Efficiency program includes 70 projects designed to improve the rail system with federal, state and local funding. Of the program's planned 25 rail grade separation projects, the 71st Street underpass is the third to be completed, Lipinski said. ...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Speaking of JGMA, the NE IL Univ El Centro building is shaping up nicely from the Kennedy.

And speaking of Toyota Park:
(FYI the article's reader comments also has a couple people giving their observations about other nearby crossings that should have grade separation projects.)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,1669570.story
71st Street underpass opens near Toyota Park
November 2, 2013

A long-awaited underpass that opened Saturday in Bridgeview is expected to improve traffic flow around nearby Toyota Park, where cars were often stalled by slow-moving trains.

The new 71st Street underpass will allow traffic to drive under the CSX and Indiana Harbor Belt tracks near Harlem Avenue. The crossing, just west of the 20,000-seat arena where the Chicago Fire play, sees about 80 trains a day, often creating traffic backups.

The $30 million project began about two years ago and involved separating four tracks.

... Lipinski helped secure funds for the project, which was part of the regional CREATE program. The Chicago Region Environmental and Transportation Efficiency program includes 70 projects designed to improve the rail system with federal, state and local funding. Of the program's planned 25 rail grade separation projects, the 71st Street underpass is the third to be completed, Lipinski said. ...
If CREATE ever gets properly funded, there are a number of sites around the city and metro area that will have rail / street level grade separations. Then the SWS Metra line can finally be brought into the Lasalle Street station and have increased service. This will allow for more train service to be added to the south tracks at Union Stations which are at capacity at rush hour.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 1:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMendigo View Post
What seriously needs that earlier design is the intersection south of that at Clark, Halsted and Barry. That intersection is a total abortion between the CVS, Walgreens, Petco, Sports Authority and their respective surface parking lots. Really a lamentable suburban "oasis" in an otherwise vibrant east lake view. Wish there were someway to take that intersection back.
I live just west of there on Barry, and purposely take the long way to wherever I'm going, just to avoid that intersection. Absolutely awful.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 2:01 PM

^ An accident waiting to happen (actually, an accident often happening).

With the Walgreens new-store assault on Clark Street (Diversey/Broadway, plus in the old supermarket around 2500 North), maybe they will close the store on Barry? Hopefully then it could get redeveloped.

The Michaels (etc.) structure is fairly ugly too, although at least they have parking on top of retail.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 2:06 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I believe that the Chinatown library is being designed by SOM - the JGMA design (while very cool, actually) was only conceptual.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 2:14 PM
BANNED

^ I was saying I avoid the intersection from an architectural standpoint. It's not a pleasant experience and I just don't want to see it. I do agree; it can be dangerous for pedestrians. The Michael's etc structure could definitely use a paint job (it's currently a shade of pink) but you're right, it's tolerable and functional.

El Centro and the Chinatown library could be great additions to the city. I'm loving JGMA's innovative new style and would love to see more. Remember this-
http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...or-to-loop.php

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Northwestern University's new Kellogg Business School 'Global Hub' just broke ground

More on their website:
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/...spx#ad-image-1

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I believe that the Chinatown library is being designed by SOM - the JGMA design (while very cool, actually) was only conceptual.
Actually, it wasn't just conceptual. It was a very real proposal that simply lost to the SOM design. I was at JGMA's offices and talked to them about it and they showed me they very large and awesome model of it they built from scratch. They thought they would win the competition for sure, but SOM ended up walking off with the contract. It is a shame that no one has the balls to hire JGMA, they are awesome. They really need to break out of the institutional category though.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 2:37 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Actually, it wasn't just conceptual. It was a very real proposal that simply lost to the SOM design. I was at JGMA's offices and talked to them about it and they showed me they very large and awesome model of it they built from scratch. They thought they would win the competition for sure, but SOM ended up walking off with the contract. It is a shame that no one has the balls to hire JGMA, they are awesome. They really need to break out of the institutional category though.
It's still just 'conceptual' - unless an architect is brought on board to fully develop a design through the various, requisite stages (apparently like SOM was), then it's considered conceptual because many of the elements that subsequently determine structure, materiality, MEP/FP, code/life/safety issues have not or will not be addressed during that phase.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 2:56 PM

JGMA designs some pretty awesome shit.

In other less exciting news, 15 new townhomes to be put up in some vacant land a block or so from Kosciuszko Park (which is on the NW border of Logan Square, and Avondale) at 2630-2658 N Ridgeway Ave. Owner is Ridgeway Acquisition, LLC.

Found this, apparently Crains wrote about it earlier this summer. These guys finally got their building permit issued yesterday:
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...701/130619793/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 3:02 PM

Today
Adams and Aberdeen

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
With the Walgreens new-store assault on Clark Street (Diversey/Broadway, plus in the old supermarket around 2500 North), maybe they will close the store on Barry? Hopefully then it could get redeveloped.
Highly unlikely, particularly since there is a CVS across the street. Walgreen's is the least likely retailer to close a store without another one ready to open.

If a person controlled both that parcel and the Sports Authority one a redevelopment would be doable since it could be phased to move their store.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 3:27 PM

North Western

I want this for my morning class....

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 3:32 PM

^ That would be amazing, though I'm not sure how many distracted people there will be in that lecture hall. I know I would be on some beautiful days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development