HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:37 PM

Was there ever any update about a solution for the broken platform trace heating? I could go on all day about oversalting in this city, but I feel like we shouldn't even need to be using salt at all on platforms.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannwagon View Post
Was there ever any update about a solution for the broken platform trace heating? I could go on all day about oversalting in this city, but I feel like we shouldn't even need to be using salt at all on platforms.
Unless its an issue with an electrical panel, then repairing broken heat tracing cast into a concrete slab includes:

1.Remove the concrete slab, reinforcing and heat tracing. Discard.
2. Reinstall heat tracing and reinforcing.
3. Cast new slab, hoping that nobody accidentally damages the heat tracing again.

How much is not working right now?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Unless its an issue with an electrical panel, then repairing broken heat tracing cast into a concrete slab includes:

1.Remove the concrete slab, reinforcing and heat tracing. Discard.
2. Reinstall heat tracing and reinforcing.
3. Cast new slab, hoping that nobody accidentally damages the heat tracing again.

How much is not working right now?
Well, there’s no ice on the platforms (which is a good thing) but I would assume that the platforms wouldn’t be getting doused in salt if the trace heating was working, right?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannwagon View Post
Well, there’s no ice on the platforms (which is a good thing) but I would assume that the platforms wouldn’t be getting doused in salt if the trace heating was working, right?
At least last year they were heavy on the ice melter despite heat tracing

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 12:21 AM

I just whipped up this quick scale comparison of the TTC Subway including the new Eglinton line and the O-Train Stage 2 including the Gatineau tram plan (ALL RED).

Ottawa is huge. It's easy to forget how spaced out this city is because of the Greenbelt. I better appreciate the monumental task of serving Kanata/Barrhaven/Orleans with LRT when looking at this map.

[IMG]O-Train TTC Comparison by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 1:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I just whipped up this quick scale comparison of the TTC Subway including the new Eglinton line and the O-Train Stage 2 including the Gatineau tram plan (ALL RED).

Ottawa is huge. It's easy to forget how spaced out this city is because of the Greenbelt. I better appreciate the monumental task of serving Kanata/Barrhaven/Orleans with LRT when looking at this map.

The greenbelt and experimental farm are collossal wastes of space.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat-Train View Post
The greenbelt and experimental farm are collossal wastes of space.
A lot of the farmland in the greenbelt should be developed in my opinion. It's just ridiculous to keep extending services further and further to protect fields like the ones between Barrhaven and Hunt Club and the ones between Bell's Corners and Crystal Beach. Mer Bleue and the forests should be preserved along with forests and parks beyond the existing boundaries of the greenbelt. I'd also like to see the parcel of the experimental farm between Fisher and Merivale developed.

Edit: Specifically these lands in the map. There is enough space for decades of new dense central growth here and all of these areas are soon to be served by light rail. Absolutely ridiculous to preserve it as farm land.
[IMG]redevelop by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
A lot of the farmland in the greenbelt should be developed in my opinion. It's just ridiculous to keep extending services further and further to protect fields like the ones between Barrhaven and Hunt Club and the ones between Bell's Corners and Crystal Beach. Mer Bleue and the forests should be preserved along with forests and parks beyond the existing boundaries of the greenbelt. I'd also like to see the parcel of the experimental farm between Fisher and Merivale developed.

Edit: Specifically these lands in the map. There is enough space for decades of new dense central growth here and all of these areas are soon to be served by light rail. Absolutely ridiculous to preserve it as farm land.
[IMG]redevelop by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]
I would argue that before those areas are developed that inside the belt, they need to fill in any vacant land and add more density to anything within 500m of the O-Train. Otherwise you are just inviting sprawl, which is exactly what we don't want or need.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 5:04 AM

What Ottawa really need is to densify the inner core with 2-3-4 storey medium desnity buildings. This city has the odd fact of having very high density (condo towers) but also low density (townhouses, huge suburbs, individual homes) and barely any mid density like you would find in Toronto or Montreal.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:41 PM

To be fair, the NCC has been more open to redevelop some previously protected space. The John Carling site for the new Civic. The research complex south of Hunt Club at Woodroffe for the automated car test track and film studio. The Moodie Railyard.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:59 PM

Quote:

Well done.

It also shows how ridiculously low density this city is. The area those lines cover in Toronto has a population 2.5x that of Ottawa-Gatineau. And yet, here in Ottawa, you have politicians, developers and even residents arguing for more land to be opened to to development.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:04 PM

I noticed some work between Blair Station and the 174. Is is related to the switch heaters? I would think that the gas line would come from north of the tracks, not south.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I noticed some work between Blair Station and the 174. Is is related to the switch heaters? I would think that the gas line would come from north of the tracks, not south.
I saw that as well driving out to Orleans on Sunday. I assume they are related, because that work was happening very close to the location where they appeared to be working on the tracks.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 4:28 PM

Happy Goat Coffee at Blair has opened. The first of four.

It's more substantial than I imagined. I though it would be a cheap kiosk.

I wish the tiles were coloured instead of just more beige.

https://twitter.com/TimTierney/statu...80700235984899

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:14 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Confederation Line's eastern leg closing again this weekend
More work needed on switch heaters between Blair, Hurdman stations

CBC News
Posted: Dec 03, 2020 10:47 AM ET | Last Updated: December 3

LRT service on Ottawa's Confederation Line will be suspended between Blair and Hurdman stations this weekend for more work on the track's switch heaters.

That eastern section of the line will close Saturday and Sunday. Similar work led to closures over the last two weekends.

Last winter, snow accumulation appeared to cause switches on the eastern leg of the Confederation Line to malfunction, one of the key causes of the delays that beset the transit system.

The Trillium Line has switch heaters powered by propane and natural gas, whereas the newer Confederation Line's were originally electric. The new heaters being installed will be powered by natural gas.

Replacement buses will run in place of trains on that part of the line, while trains will continue to run between Hurdman and Tunney's Pasture stations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...dman-1.5826621

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Actually, another way to look at it is how little of the Toronto is covered by subway. Many parts of Toronto proper are very, very far from the subway, and over there of course there's the demand to go ever further into places like Vaughan and Markham while ignoring much denser areas that are underserved by higher order transit

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 12:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Why not show all of the RT? Include Commuter rail, LRTs and streetcars.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Why not show all of the RT? Include Commuter rail, LRTs and streetcars.
I could but that's not the comparison I was going for. I'm trying to highlight how dense Toronto is where it is served by their primary city-ran mass transit system. I did include the future LRT line along Eglinton. If I did an overlay with commuter rail the map would span from Niagara to Kitchener to Barrie and to Oshawa. Streetcars are not a relevant comparison.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Happy Goat Coffee at Blair has opened.

Must drink coffee very fast before boarding the train. Not the way to enjoy coffee. Will not buy.

Last edited by eltodesukane; Dec 5, 2020 at 1:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
Actually, another way to look at it is how little of the Toronto is covered by subway. Many parts of Toronto proper are very, very far from the subway, and over there of course there's the demand to go ever further into places like Vaughan and Markham while ignoring much denser areas that are underserved by higher order transit
Certainly Toronto has greater need of more subways.
Will they ever build the "Downtown Relief Line", now rebranded as the "Ontario Line", whatever they call it?
Meanwhile Montreal has a better subway than Toronto, despite being a smaller city.
Ottawa is not there yet, and yes the greenbelt is not helping.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation