HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 12:41 AM

Beautiful photos!!!! Thank you SO MUCH for the update on those projects! We have two new tower cranes up now by me near the Howard Hughes center. One Hanover 8 story residential on Sepulveda and the other an 11 floor office building off Centinela.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 7:53 AM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Most random set of photos you'll see — Century Plaza Towers and 904 N Labrea

Century Plaza

904 N. LaBrea

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 6:22 PM

Those bottom 2 pictures look very European modern. I kind of like it.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 4:28 PM

I walked by that LaBrea project and I wonder how they can fill the retail component. There are a lot of spaces. I wonder if some of the requirements for ground floor retail aren't outdated given the current trend towards fewer brick and morter stores. There are so many empty retail spaces in that area already.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 12:11 AM

What's the crane at universal City for?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
What's the crane at universal City for?
Both the Sheraton and Hilton at Universal have plans for new towers, so perhaps one of them has quietly broken ground.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 6:16 AM

Academy Museum

Two good reads on the engineering/construction of the Academy Museum:

On the glass dome:
https://www.enr.com/blogs/12-califor...mpletion-in-la

On the concrete sphere:
https://www.nbmcw.com/tech-articles/...-pictures.html

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:05 PM

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 1:38 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^Drove by this today (my office is just a couple blocks away for the next couple of months), and demolition of the old Cadillac dealership is complete. They are just clearing out the last remaining rubble. For you permit sleuths out there, I would start looking for shoring permits, as I would expect that activity to ramp up as soon as those permits are issued.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 1:22 PM
Paramoderator

The office tower seems to have taken a bit of a haircut but the architecture has been vastly improved, a fair trade off in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:02 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I noticed that too. Looks like it went from 10 to 8 floors, but I agree. I like the facade treatment much better in this version. Reminds me a bit of the Federal Courthouse downtown with the undulating glass. The residential component's massing seems to have changed as well, and appears to take up more of the property, which is a plus in my opinion.

Now, if we can see some progress on the potential 10-story office building in the works in the shuttered Sports Chalet store just east of this property on Olympic (just beyond the red granite office building on the far right of that aerial photo), and hopefully someone targets that Staples Store and the gas station for redevelopment soon.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:32 PM

Is there a rendering for the other 10 story office on Olympic?

I saw on Google Maps, the new glass building at Stewart and Colorado looks really nice too. This whole area is really looking better.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 8:12 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

More Century Plaza — looks like they're working on floor 25 of 46

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
I can't imagine what international tourists think of that intersection. Koreatown update coming tomorrow
I highly doubt they think much of it. I see many tourist there all the time having a good time. It is a nice development and I highly doubt it is going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited by plutonicpanda; Jan 16, 2020 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:08 PM

Once those towers go up and the other 40 story building I forget the name but CC is going to have a decent picture worthy skyline of it's own pretty soon! Shame that most all the tallest skyscrapers are nearly the same height, kind of makes it a little flat.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Once those towers go up and the other 40 story building I forget the name but CC is going to have a decent picture worthy skyline of it's own pretty soon! Shame that most all the tallest skyscrapers are nearly the same height, kind of makes it a little flat.
The other building you are thinking of is being developed by JMB Realty. It was most recently conceived as two residential towers, 45 and 41 stories tall, and the site was cleared not too long ago. There's currently no action on the site... anyone know what's going on? Maybe they're contemplating redesigning with an office component... office space is really tight in CC right now.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:14 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
The other building you are thinking of is being developed by JMB Realty. It was most recently conceived as two residential towers, 45 and 41 stories tall, and the site was cleared not too long ago. There's currently no action on the site... anyone know what's going on? Maybe they're contemplating redesigning with an office component... office space is really tight in CC right now.
Yes — I pass it weekly! There is definitely action but I now believe it's Metro activity, not construction activity. Per The Source, it's where they are assembling one of the Purple Line (whatever the new letter is) TBMs which will work its way east. The pit's massive, about 5 stories I estimate. I've been trying to get a pic but haven't found a good angle so far

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:22 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
I have a great fondness for Century City. It's never going to be 'urban' in the traditional sense. But I appreciate it for what it is: a mid 20th experiment on modernism. Century City is woefully underappreciated. Also once the Century hotel towers are finished, Century City will have a uniquely symmetrical cluster of buildings. The Century Plaza Hotel and 2000 Ave of the Stars mirror each other in terms of scale and size, and the towers will mirror the Century Plaza Towers across the street. Interesting stuff.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:32 PM

I work in Century City. There is something interesting about it, even though it's not super vibrant/exciting.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:38 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Melrose Triangle — (4 stories, 76 apartments), West Hollywood / Beverly Hills border

This is really going to bring some life to the stretch of Santa Monica Blvd west of Robertson

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations