HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
^ Is the first picture real or an imagined "what could be" rendering?
I'm not really sure. It came up in a google search & links to another site that looks like a clone of ssp.com. the page also shows work in what appears to be some city in asia...india. Even not wealthy countries are getting into the act?

However, the photo I posted does appear to be a street somewhere in southern calif....possibly the san diego, la jolla area. that city has been doing a large amt of undergrounding over the past 10 yrs.

hint, hint, ppl in charge of LA.

Would be nice if locals managing LA took a page from other cities. Forget Paris, London or hong kong...how about cities even in India?

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...postcount=5134

thought I should add this since I still recall this tragedy....the reporter survived but she lost her hands.....getting rid of overhead isn't merely a matter of making things look better. Overhead power lines have also caused major brush fires in LA over the past decades.

Quote:
A veteran television news reporter assigned to cover a news conference in Hollywood was seriously burned Monday when the microwave transmitter extending from a KABC van came too close to a 34,500-volt power line and caused an explosion. The reporter, Adrienne Alpert, 48, was airlifted to Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks, where doctors performed emergency surgery to restore blood flow to burn areas over 25% of her body.

The accident occurred about 9:45 a.m. as Alpert and MacKenzie were setting up for a live broadcast from the corner of Santa Monica Boulevard and Gordon Street, near the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. According to witnesses, Alpert was inside the van as the transmitter was being raised several feet. MacKenzie was helping position the transmitter when it touched or came near a high-voltage wire. That created a power arc that triggered an explosion, authorities said.

MacKenzie, the van's driver and a 20-year veteran at KABC, was in tears and asked him to help Alpert, whose hands and feet were severely burned.

"I started crying when I saw [Alpert], because I couldn't do anything" said Petrosyan, who was uncertain if he should touch her.

Petrosyan said Alpert moaned, "I can't breathe. . . . I don't want to die."

Last edited by citywatch; Jun 10, 2019 at 5:43 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations