HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 1:44 PM

I use the database here for work sometimes and I've had coworkers ask me what site I'm on. They could probably identify me if they came to the forums and matched the profile picture to my school and posting history about office development in Toronto.

Luckily they all have better things to do.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
In general, I'll admit I'm a little anxious about my SSP identity being outed. I've said some things that diverge from polite expectations and I'd really hate to have my career ruined by some things I said about signs when I was 18
This place does operate on an element of trust. The anonymity is nice because you can speak with candour... I don't feel that it gets abused that much, either... at least not in the Canada subforums that I frequent.

Part of why I didn't last long on Twitter using my real name was because I didn't like the mob mentality where people pile on those with opinions they disagree with. I didn't run into that problem myself, but I have seen it happen to others for things as dumb as voicing their opinions about the Jets, and the last thing I need is someone calling my workplace because they didn't like something I tweeted about. So now I have an anonymous account and use it mainly to consume news about topics that I'm interested in... I seldom tweet anything to my tiny handful of followers who are probably Russian bots for the most part anyway.

If I were doxed here I'd probably just delete my account and become a reader only instead of a contributor. So I guess if someone is tired of my BS, I've just given you the blueprint for getting rid of me

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:38 PM

I know of at least one lurking co-worker that knows who I am here, though I wasn't the one to tell them.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I know of at least one lurking co-worker that knows who I am here, though I wasn't the one to tell them.
I've also had a lurking coworker in my department confront me too. Over the years, I have been indiscreet enough with odd facts about my life when I am posting that I don't think it would be too hard for other people to figure it out if they really wanted to.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I've also had a lurking coworker in my department confront me too. Over the years, I have been indiscreet enough with odd facts about my life when I am posting that I don't think it would be too hard for other people to figure it out if they really wanted to.
If I'm not mistaken, you've posted pics of the exterior of your house. (!)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 3:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you've posted pics of the exterior of your house. (!)
Indeed, but I never called it "my house" in those photos.

I have also taken pictures of my back yard, and called it "my back yard", but I kinda thought that part of my property was more anonymous.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 2:47 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

I know and/or have met a few past and present Saint John forumers IRL. As for my own identity, I'm pretty easy to find online, particularly if you look on Twitter where I'm fairly active.

I too have a couple of co-workers who lurk here and know that I post quite a bit in the Atlantic section.

I also once got in hot water in a previous job when a local developer successfully identified me after I hinted at knowing something he thought was privileged information. Despite not actually communicating the information and framing the discussion as rumour, I was ultimately compelled to edit my post. I'm a lot more careful about what I share here nowadays as a result.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 2:52 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I was also gonna say, SSP'ers who are also on Urban Toronto know swimmer_spe's name. In fact, sometimes in the Ontario subforum, I just address him by his name, mainly because I really don't like starting my sentence with a lower case.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Indeed, but I never called it "my house" in those photos.

I have also taken pictures of my back yard, and called it "my back yard", but I kinda thought that part of my property was more anonymous.
You guys have seen pictures of my Sherbrooke apt (the inside), of my cats, of the exterior of my FL house, of my FL backyard (several orange trees!), and also of that four-story brick building in Downtown Sherbrooke that I destroyed*. Anyone who wants to stalk me / track me / blow my cover (Acajack's an expert at this...) can probably do it (or just send me a PM and ask, I'm actually not that shy)

I don't recall whether anyone has identified "rousseau" yet, we might need it one of these days, I don't remember why but I know I owe him a visit to pee on a bush on his front lawn for some reason.

*And since it's a small world, the person to thank for the perfect level and drainage of the parking that is currently on that site is SSPer "le calmar"s dad - an eagle-eyed excavation pro.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:03 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I don't recall whether anyone has identified "rousseau" yet, we might need it one of these days, I don't remember why but I know I owe him a visit to pee on a bush on his front lawn for some reason.
I'm pretty sure we have some pictures of the front of rousseau's house. It might even show his civic address number. I think a quick perusal of Google Maps might provide you the answer.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This place does operate on an element of trust. The anonymity is nice because you can speak with candour... I don't feel that it gets abused that much, either... at least not in the Canada subforums that I frequent.

Part of why I didn't last long on Twitter using my real name was because I didn't like the mob mentality where people pile on those with opinions they disagree with. I didn't run into that problem myself, but I have seen it happen to others for things as dumb as voicing their opinions about the Jets, and the last thing I need is someone calling my workplace because they didn't like something I tweeted about. So now I have an anonymous account and use it mainly to consume news about topics that I'm interested in... I seldom tweet anything to my tiny handful of followers who are probably Russian bots for the most part anyway.

If I were doxed here I'd probably just delete my account and become a reader only instead of a contributor. So I guess if someone is tired of my BS, I've just given you the blueprint for getting rid of me
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Yeah just Dengler for me that I actually know.

I met Coldsrx briefly once, but I was part of a group and I don't considered myself a notable SSP name so I didn't introduce myself. I don't feel creepy admitting this given how open he is with his identity.

Signallhillhiker and I were once on Signal Hill together at the same time, and he saw my yellow school bus

A few people I know in real life have told me they've identified me on SSP without me telling them about it. I don't know who they are though or if they have accounts, which doesn't feel very fair haha.

In general, I'll admit I'm a little anxious about my SSP identity being outed. I've said some things that diverge from polite expectations and I'd really hate to have my career ruined by some things I said about signs when I was 18
I briefly considered that then I figured, I don't see how it possibly could have an impact on my future life. Maybe if I intended to become a politician, but that's a non starter, I'm way too honest to be electable. So... no big deal if I'm "outed".

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:37 AM
Registered Drug User

I'm far too internet shy and jealous of my anonymity to want to be outed, but I'd be happy to go for one of Stratford's famous Mennonite sandwiches with anyone out on an excursion here.

Corn relish is the secret ingredient. It may not look like much, but it's good. Goes well with some potato salad and a picnic table by the lake.

(http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...4&postcount=37)

You're a better sleuth than I if you can find my place on Google Maps (please don't take this as a challenge!).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

*And since it's a small world, the person to thank for the perfect level and drainage of the parking that is currently on that site is SSPer "le calmar"s dad - an eagle-eyed excavation pro.
If I remember correctly, that parking lot replaced the building you were working on when I saw you? I think you asked a while ago but I forgot to respond; my dad is not retired yet and is intending to work for another couple years or so.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 7:46 PM
recession proof

I've never met anyone here irl.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 7:54 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I was gonna suggest attending the SSP meetups in Ottawa to blow more covers (including your own).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:16 PM

I've met many of you but I'm now using my middle name IRL due to various death threats. Plus I had one of my company lawyer to put a complaint to the RCMP due to an isssue on another forum. People can really be fanatics.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm horrible at privacy so I think anyone who cares knows who I am. I've met lots from here, probably about a dozen by now - Denscity was even in my house with me when I bought it lol.

I don't know who most people are. I've even forgotten some I've met. It's not something that holds my attention. I've zero desire to blow anyone's cover, even just to myself.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'm horrible at privacy so I think anyone who cares knows who I am. I've met lots from here, probably about a dozen by now - Denscity was even in my house with me when I bought it lol.

I don't know who most people are. I've even forgotten some I've met. It's not something that holds my attention. I've zero desire to blow anyone's cover, even just to myself.
Geez, SHH, even I know who you are and I don't care at all!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 11:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Geez, SHH, even I know who you are and I don't care at all!
I'm bad at it, sorry. Like I know for sure that you, Acajack and Lio know who I am because you've all said so. And I like you guys. I'd actually enjoy meeting ye. But I have literally ZERO idea who ye are lol

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'm bad at it, sorry. Like I know for sure that you, Acajack and Lio know who I am because you've all said so. And I like you guys. I'd actually enjoy meeting ye. But I have literally ZERO idea who ye are lol
And so it shall always be, at least in my case. Take comfort in knowing that you would loathe me if you did know me!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada