HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
I actually compiled my own ranking of best cities in Canada today

Once again Vancouver is #1, this is a scientific study, it doesn't matter that I compiled the data, it's correct!

Oh thank goodness we're #1. We were the top North American city in Monocle's survey, but that was still only #12. On Mercer's Quality of Living Ranking we're only #3 behind Vienna and Zurich, and we were only #5 on the Economist Intelligence Unit ranking. (Mind you, we haven't been the top city in that survey since 2011, when we lost points because of the closure of the Malahat Highway...)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Oh thank goodness we're #1. We were the top North American city in Monocle's survey, but that was still only #12. On Mercer's Quality of Living Ranking we're only #3 behind Vienna and Zurich, and we were only #5 on the Economist Intelligence Unit ranking. (Mind you, we haven't been the top city in that survey since 2011, when we lost points because of the closure of the Malahat Highway...)
I only looked at Canadian data for my weighted calculated metric. Not sure how well we'd stack up against international cities like Kuala Lumpur (3 U's, access to two oceans, and a Santouka!).

Worrying! We might be falling behind!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
No, his policies are some of the reasons why we end up in what we are today. It's like Trump trying to steal Obama's glory after the US economy recovered during Trump's tenure, after being devastated by George Bush in 2008.
It was Robertson's fault the Province cut shelter funding during his time as mayor?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I hope we continue to fall down the rankings and less people move here so we can regain some sanity in our housing market, and more competition for employers to find good people (bidding up wages).
Yep, only good things will come out of falling down these list and rankings. The only other way to correct the housing market will be a Magnitude 9 quake.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Can I just say how much I enjoy BIV's investigate reporting. And can I add to that: WHAT A LOSER!! Really enjoying the jail sentences and criminal records these wackos are racking up.

Quote:
The court heard that 26-year-old, Richmond-born Weber has a bachelor’s degree in engineering from UBC and has worked as a dog walker and for Uber Eats, but is otherwise unemployed.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
You missed the /s. And it's hardly Sam Sullivan, Larry Campbell or Philip Owen who can take credit for the massive influx of foreign owners (the audience the "Most Livable" lists are geared to) wanting to buy empty condos and sit on them like stocks.

It must be legit. Why else would it be on the internet?
You also must be legit. Why else are you on the internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
It was Robertson's fault the Province cut shelter funding during his time as mayor?
I don't recall him protesting that much. Plus didn't he promise to eradicate homelessness? You would expect him to work better with the province. Yeah it doesn't matter if it's the province or Vancouver: BC leaders are just sub-par.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I actually compiled my own ranking of best cities in Canada today

# of letter u's
Vancouver 1
Quebec 1
Mississauga 1
Surrey 1
Toronto 0
Montreal 0
Calgary 0
Edmonton 0
Saskatoon 0
Halifax 0
Winnipeg 0
Kelowna 0
Hamilton 0
Brampton 0
Victoria 0

# of accessible oceans by ship?
Vancouver 1
Quebec 1
Mississauga 1
Surrey 1
Toronto 1
Montreal 1
Halifax 1
Hamilton 1
Victoria 1
Calgary 0
Edmonton 0
Saskatoon 0
Winnipeg 0
Kelowna 0
Brampton 0

# of Santouka's
Vancouver 2
Toronto 2
Quebec 0
Mississauga 0
Surrey 0
Montreal 0
Calgary 0
Edmonton 0
Saskatoon 0
Halifax 0
Winnipeg 0
Kelowna 0
Hamilton 0
Brampton 0
Victoria 0

Total:
1. Vancouver 4
2. Toronto 3
3. Quebec + Mississauga + Surrey 2
4. Victoria + Hamilton + Montreal + Halifax 1
5. Calgary + Edmonton + Saskatoon + Winnipeg + Brampton + Kelowna 0

Once again Vancouver is #1, this is a scientific study, it doesn't matter that I compiled the data, it's correct!

Good job, Chow! (pat on the back)

In the Rentola rating, they used indexes like Housing, Environment, Equality, Income, Education, Crime, Health and Labour....
https://rentola.ca/best-metropolitan...campaign-table

And what do you have? I see Santouka the Jap Restaurant? Very scientific indeed.

I see Changing City is also a very ardent supporter of your very "scientific" rating methodology.....
Quote:
Birds of the same feather flock together indeed.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 12:25 AM

Ah, that Whoosh noise again.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Good job, Chow!

In the Rentola rating, they used indexes like Housing, Environment, Equality, Income, Education, Crime, Health and Labour....

And what do you have? I see Santouka the Jap Restaurant? Very scientific indeed. Joke's on you
Did you even read what they measure for Environment and Equality and how it's normalized? It's a joke. Just like my list. Which was a joke. And I even started putting sarcasm tags at the bottom of my post. And it still goes over your head. Man.

Environment is measured as "volunteer environmentalists per capita" and equality is normalized on a 1-10 scale so Saskatoon gets 10x more equality points than Calgary. I really doubt the pay gap in Calgary is 10x worse than in Saskatoon. Also Oshawa is ranked as having less affordable rents than Vancouver. Come the fuck on.

They "cite" StatCan, but under each section, they put a fake link that is just red coloured text.

It actually infuriates me how horrible this abuse of statistics is.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 12:37 AM

Quote:
If you'll scroll down...

Quote:
Environment: looks at percent of population that engaged, without pay, in activities aimed at conservation or protection of the environment or wildlife

Equality: Compares annual pay gap between genders

Income: Estimates the average annual income

Education: Population ratio with bachelor’s degree and/or university certificate or diploma above bachelor level

Crime: Amount of homicides and annual victims of violence per 100.000 population

Health: Looks at perceived mental health, perceived physical health, diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure and current smokers - all percentage of the population.

Labour: Looks at the unemployment rate for each area
Victoria ties with Vancouver in violent crime per capita, and has less post-sec degrees and more sick people. They literally win for having more beach-cleaning groups and less high-paying jobs; these are poor metrics for judging any kind of city, hence chowhou's sarcastic "study" (which of course went right over your head).

Quote:
Did you even read what they measure for Environment and Equality and how it's normalized? It's a joke. Just like my list. Which was a joke. And I even started putting sarcasm tags at the bottom of my post. And it still goes over your head. Man.

Environment is measured as "volunteer environmentalists per capita" and equality is normalized on a 1-10 scale so Saskatoon gets 10x more equality points than Calgary. I really doubt the pay gap in Calgary is 10x worse than in Saskatoon. Also Oshawa is ranked as having less affordable rents than Vancouver. Come the fuck on.

They "cite" StatCan, but under each section, they put a fake link that is just red coloured text.

It actually infuriates me how horrible this abuse of statistics is.
And some people are gullible enough to swallow this garbage hook, line and sinker and then try and make it look like it proves their point. How Trumpian.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 1:21 AM

The out of control chaos of crime continues across MetroVancouver:

Raccoons evade police, take off with someone's wallet in New Westminster

Police in New Westminster are searching for the rightful owner of a wallet after a bizarre police chase involving a trio of raccoons (Photo: New Westminster Police Department/Twitter). Police in New Westminster are searching for the rightful owner of a wallet after a bizarre police chase involving a trio of raccoons (Photo: New Westminster Police Department/Twitter).
Meagan Gill
CTV News Vancouver Associate Producer
Follow | Contact
Published Aug. 19, 2022 5:06 p.m. PDT

Police in New Westminster are searching for the rightful owner of a wallet after a bizarre police chase involving a trio of raccoons.
In an email to CTV News, the New Westminster Police Department says the masked bandits were seen taking off with someone's wallet in the 1400 block of 8th Avenue Thursday night….

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/raccoons-evade...ster-1.6035071

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The out of control chaos of crime continues across MetroVancouver:

Raccoons evade police, take off with someone's wallet in New Westminster

Police in New Westminster are searching for the rightful owner of a wallet after a bizarre police chase involving a trio of raccoons (Photo: New Westminster Police Department/Twitter). Police in New Westminster are searching for the rightful owner of a wallet after a bizarre police chase involving a trio of raccoons (Photo: New Westminster Police Department/Twitter).
Meagan Gill
CTV News Vancouver Associate Producer
Follow | Contact
Published Aug. 19, 2022 5:06 p.m. PDT

Police in New Westminster are searching for the rightful owner of a wallet after a bizarre police chase involving a trio of raccoons.
In an email to CTV News, the New Westminster Police Department says the masked bandits were seen taking off with someone's wallet in the 1400 block of 8th Avenue Thursday night….

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/raccoons-evade...ster-1.6035071
It's a jungle out there!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 5:03 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
And can I add to that: WHAT A LOSER!!
At least this climate warrior is willing to jeopardize his future for the sake of something he believes in. I would say he is misguided in his tactics, but I certainly wouldn't call him a loser.

Would you be willing to give up a potentially lucrative career for something you really believe in, like freeway widening and free surface parking lots?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Explosion, fire renders two buildings uninhabitable in Downtown Eastside
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/l...street-5724743
"We are very safe", says NONE of the 40 displaced residents.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 7:30 PM

Three random stranger attacks in Fairview last Thursday:

Vancouver police investigating string of violent stranger attacks in Fairview
Posted Aug 19, 2022, 2:09PM PDT
Police in Vancouver are investigating three separate stranger attacks that happened over a couple hours on Thursday night in the Fairview neighbourhood.

“Three violent attacks happened in close proximity to each other within a short time-frame,” says Cst. Tania Visintin with the VPD. “At this time, investigators are trying to determine if any of the assaults are related.”

The first attack happened at 6:30 p.m. near the False Creek seawall, right under the Cambie Street Bridge. Police say a 70-year-old man was tackled from behind, punched, and kicked by an unknown man.

Police add 45 minutes later, a 33-year-old woman walking her dog near West 11 Avenue and Spruce Street was attacked from behind and punched in the face.

The third attack happened at 8:45 p.m. when a 23-year-old woman was stabbed while walking near West Broadway and Alder Street. The woman suffered non-life threatening injuries....

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/0...acks-fairview/

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 8:40 PM

Four men charged after guns found at Hastings Street tent city in Vancouver

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...guns-tent-city

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 8:43 PM

Quote:

Just harmless folks, nothing to see here.

Meanwhile another tent city seems to be sprouting up around the Aquatic Centre.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 9:34 PM

Quote:

The four suspects include a 40-year-old man from Vancouver, a 23-year-old man from Burnaby and two men in their 20s from Surrey.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 9:37 PM

Quote:
The four suspects include a 40-year-old man from Vancouver, a 23-year-old man from Burnaby and two men in their 20s from Surrey.
This is why the suburbs need to do more in terms of supportive housing instead of making Vancouver bear all the burden.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
This is why the suburbs need to do more in terms of supportive housing instead of making Vancouver bear all the burden.
Meanwhile the VPD continue to reduce the problems of the area. (Even beanbag guns can kill).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues