HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 4:21 PM

Millcreek Master Plan

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 9, 2020 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:08 PM

Primary Children's Outpatient Bldg

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:11 PM

University of Utah Craig H. Neilsen Rehabilitation Hospital

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 7:01 PM

From user ptgorman on reddit:

These are all some crazy intersections in San Antonio...

Are there any funky intersections at all on the Wasatch Front?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:26 AM

^^^^

We have some bizarre intersections at some underpasses and a few along bangerter highway. In a heavy snowstorm they really get interesting if you can’t see the lines and you come up to one and aren’t familiar with it. I don’t know why they went away from the single point intersection. It’s straight forward and efficient.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This was completed 2 years ago. I've taken a few classes in this building. It's a beautiful building both inside and out, but it's at the expense of the interior functionality. The layout is a mess and some of the classrooms don't have any outlets to plug laptops into - in a school building built in the year 2018.

I know that's outside the scope of this thread, but a good example of how not to prioritize form over function.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 4:59 AM
Space Magi

I still think that the new OSH was a big missed opportunity to build an iconic clock tower for the U. It was the perfect location on the campus and it would have enhanced the experience of the library plaza space.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:34 PM

Osh?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:36 PM
Space Magi

New article from Building Salt Lake about The Exchange:
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/giv...esign-quality/

Lots of good info about the project and photos. I wish I could see the full res versions of some of them. Talk about nice views of downtown:

Quote:
Osh?
The "Carolyn and Kem Gardner Commons" was built on the site of the old Orson Spencer Hall (OSH) and was referred to as the "new OSH" before it was formally named. It's at the center of the campus and I think an architectural centerpiece of some kind would have been fitting, especially given the large plaza it overlooks.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:10 PM

^^^

I’m glad There’s new stuf happening at the U, but can we get just a little more variety in architecture? A clock tower woulda been real cool.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
New article from Building Salt Lake about The Exchange:
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/giv...esign-quality/
Cool. Can we get a skyscraper on 4th S soon? That corner on state is screaming for something bad ass.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Cool. Can we get a skyscraper on 4th S soon? That corner on state is screaming for something bad ass.
I've been dreaming of getting rid of that parking lot on the corner of 400 South and State forever. Would be such a good location for a skyscraper and would push our skyline a little further south.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:57 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
^^^

I’m glad There’s new stuf happening at the U, but can we get just a little more variety in architecture? A clock tower woulda been real cool.
Yeah, I agree. I like that every building is different and postmodern, unlike many universities that try to keep a classic/uniform style, but in execution I think there's a general lack of cohesion and sense of context to each new building.

The newest addition to the campus that was very recently completed, the "Kahlert Village", replaced what I thought was a very nice, intimate, semi-enclosed outdoor space occupied by the varsity soccer field. The old, unremarkable buildings and much of the surface parking to the south are still there and they moved the soccer field to a new location in the middle of the campus.

Before:

After:

I just really have to say that I'm not a fan of some of these planning decisions.

On a positive note, I love what they have done with the Crocker Science Center (George Thomas Building).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 11:02 PM
They all float down here

My concern with the U's current architecture is similar to why I don't find the campus all that attractive in the first place: it's dominated by era-specific architecture and therefore, lacks the level of diversity you'd hope to see on a college campus.

Don't get me wrong. I love Presidents Circle, which is a great cluster of historic buildings, and ultimately feels like an actual major university campus. But much of the expansion of the U came during the 1960s and 70s, during an era where brutalism was all the rage. Because of this, a significant amount of the buildings have that harsh, concrete look that you see with a lot of Utah campuses (SLCC, UVU and even BYU).

Now, we're kind of seeing the exact same thing play out with its current development, albeit development that is more attractive than that brutalist style of the 70s.

Still, it's all so plain.

I could understand it if this was the U's style from the start, which often happens on campuses (a good amount of campuses with older, historic buildings keep that general vibe with their recent development) ... but there is no specific style to the campus. It's a hodgepodge of what was common for the decade of the development, as opposed to something wholly unique.

I actually agree with Atlas on the soccer stadium. I actually dislike the new stadium's location - and feel the old area was really nice.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I've been dreaming of getting rid of that parking lot on the corner of 400 South and State forever. Would be such a good location for a skyscraper and would push our skyline a little further south.
Just to give you an idea of how long I’ve been waiting also, there was a Salt Lake Tribune article In 1991-1992 that showed where the current proposals and Future proposals for that time were and what might go there. It was a pretty great article and I would love it if someone could find articles from that time. They got the Wells Fargo tower right and tower 8. They also got the hotel on the northeast corner of the galivan center right. They also got the grand America pretty much right. A few of the projects I was really hoping would come to fruition was the World Trade Center where we suspect the future zions bank building on 1st and main will go. The article also mentioned retail center/mall on the parking lot block of 4th south and main. The hope was the retail center would revitalize Main Street and bring foot traffic back between crossroads and the proposed retail center. Not a bad idea since Main Street was devastated with crossroads mall and ZCMI right across the street from one another. I’m not sure if the gateway mall could have gone there and it didn’t work out but that would have done great things for Main Street at the time. Another project I feel the city needs is a world class recreation center/gym. Finally there was the 4th and State parking lot, but the article only had a smallish tower there. On a side note, does the Tribune archive articles from that time digitally or some other way by chance? Any info would be great.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Just to give you an idea of how long I’ve been waiting also, there was a Salt Lake Tribune article In 1991-1992 that showed where the current proposals and Future proposals for that time were and what might go there.
Given the size of SLC blocks you could get a hotel tower, two residential towers, two commercial towers, a world class recreation center, a nice outdoor space, mid-block connections, and a smattering of street level neighborhood commercial on that block. (assuming underground parking similar to City Creek Center).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 4:37 AM

There was a two tower proposal about 15 years ago for the site on 4th & State NE corner.

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 11, 2020 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 11:25 AM

What Downtown Salt Lake City needs most on State, Main, and W. Temple is more residential foot traffic generated by multiple Kensingston size residential towers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that both Kensington and Pantages will soon
become a reality, and both will be successful enough to generate more demand for tall residential towers downtown. Also Hopefully, the new CCH will generate more future boutique hotels such as The Regent, with a luxe-residential use mixed in.
I think projects like a Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc. mixed-use could do really well in Salt Lake City. I don't know that the market for for-sale units would yet be brisk enough, but there is definitely a strong demand for luxury rental. They
can always convert to for-sale when the market demands.

Quote:
Was this posted before?

Urban Alfrande is the company that the head of Granary Row is with (James Alfrande, I believe).

file:///C:/Users/brandonfrancom/Down...ings%20(1).pdf

It looks like it was approved in April. So, we should be seeing this getting a building permit soon I presume.
http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan...taffReport.pdf
Orlando, Your post from a few pages back about this developer made me curious as to their website. If their projects had been posted before, I don't remember it. They're from the D.C. area and pretty accomplished it would seem.
I guess one of the sons has established himself here and they're about to make some major moves on the Salt Lake City area, particularly Central 9th. Looks like another quality developer from outside the local market will be bringing
some interesting residential projects to SLC in the near future.

Row Seventeen - A collection of 32 townhome-style residences in the Ballpark Neighborhood of Salt Lake City. Apparantly these for sale units either sold out or were under contract before they even
finished the project

[B]The Slate and The Sydney - I remember this development being covered by BuildingSaltLake. Taylor Anderson covered it this time a year ago...LINK - https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/con...s-central-9th/ .
Everyone will remember it because of the site being contaminated by the former Henries drycleaners. They still seem to be intent on developing the property. The Slate and The Sydney are meant to be developed side by side. I hope
this project is proceeding as it would have a major impact for the entire area. Perhaps UTPlanner or one of you knows of any current progress they've made. Last we heard 'Alfandre' wanted to take the project taller, not wanting to dig
into the property for subterranean parking. Instead, they would place a barrier underneath to mitigate any contamination, and place the parking at the base floors, surrounded by commercial and residential. Nimby's are against that
because they feel the scale of the neighborhood would be lost. Problem is, any project whatever it is will never pencil out unless they are either allowed to go higher or the government pays for the cost of removing the contamination.

Location Perspective of 'The Slate and The Sydney' - BuildingSaltLake.com

Central 9th from above, with the Henries Dry Cleaners site at bottom left. James Alfandre is looking to develop just over an acre of the growing neighborhood. Photo by Taylor Anderson.

The Slate - 148 unit mixed-use apartment project adjacent to the Central Ninth TRAX station in Salt Lake City.

The Sydney - 128 unit mixed-use brownfield redevelopment site adjacent to the Central Ninth TRAX station in Salt Lake City.

The Sloane - 88 unit apartment project adjacent to the Central Ninth TRAX station in Salt Lake City.

The Citizen - 264 unit apartment project within walking distance of Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and many other Salt Lake City retail and services.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 11, 2020 at 1:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 5:11 PM

The old Ace Automotive Warehouse on 700 South (across the street to the North of the Sears block) has construction fencing around it this morning. The guy on the site said the warehouse is being restored and included in the new design.
Anyone know anything?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 8:09 PM

^^^
It's that CW Urban project that's been planned for a while now and good to see it finally start construction. 60 units in a six story building that I guess now includes a restored warehouse as well. BSL has an article about it here. On a side note that block is really coming together with the 600 Lofts, 6th & Main, The Iris, a new TRAX station, and talk of another taller building south of 6th & Main.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West