HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 6:38 PM

2nd question on Panet Rd developments is has anybody heard anything about any development on the old Cambrian Equipment site at 494 Panet Rd?

The elderly owner passed away at the beginning of January 2020 and I see that most of the inventory has been removed. It looks strange to drive by there and see empty spaces instead of a sea of used heavy equipment.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 6:45 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I've read a study that people who work from home generally work longer hours and have less of a work life balance. They lack a separation between what's work time and home time and that fuzzy line causes them to work longer. Where as people who go into work find it easier to shut off work when they are away from work. Personally I've seen it from many colleagues. Now emails are coming my way well outside of work hours where as before they would not be.
As I said in my more recent post, you need to treat work as work and life as life, even if they now take place in the same location. If you treat the whole experience as 1 thing then its not a healthy balance, either for life or work.

If you're waking up 5 minutes before you start, rolling out of bed in your PJ's and sitting at your home computer to work then it wont feel much like work and really begins to impact your mental health. You need to treat work as work and home as home or the balance between the two will never be found. For example, I wake up every day at nearly the same time I used to for work (no longer need to commute so I can sleep for an extra 30), grab some breakfast, have a shower, and wear my regular clothes (not sweat pants and a stained tshirt).

I'm not naive enough to pretend that this transition will be easy for everyone, this is a MAJOR shift in how we do our jobs and how we view what a job is and how it functions. Your example is probably a fairly common one, and one that companies will likely try to take advantage of. However, as I tell my team "If you're not being paid don't work". Work from home doesn't mean that the boundaries of 9-5 are no longer valid just because you have a workstation on hand at all times. If you're being paid for OT work then that's up to you and your company on how much you should be working beyond your regular expectations.

A couple of really interesting responses have come out of this and it really shows the full scope of how this is a balance between both work and life.

- If you treat work like home time and don't clean yourself up or prepare yourself, your work performance and engagement will suffer.
- If you don't abide by 9-5 and set boundaries on when you start and end, then your personal time will fade into 24/7 work time.

Both of these will negatively impact your mental/physical health and really highlights how this isn't just a matter of moving where you're working from. Its up to both you and your employer to make sure that the balance is found and maintained. You can't treat work like a Saturday on your computer, and your employer cant treat you like a 24/7 on-call employee (unless that's part of your job previously and you're being compensated properly)

P.S. would you happen to have a link to that study? I'd love to read it

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
2nd question on Panet Rd developments is has anybody heard anything about any development on the old Cambrian Equipment site at 494 Panet Rd?

The elderly owner passed away at the beginning of January 2020 and I see that most of the inventory has been removed. It looks strange to drive by there and see empty spaces instead of a sea of used heavy equipment.
I haven't heard anything, but that lot is just the right size for a big box store, 11 acres. I don't know if there is any demand for something like that. There is a lot of vacant industrial land in the area so if there isn't something already arranged, it might take a while to sell for that purpose. I wonder how much money they got for the scrap metal?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 4:27 AM

Today the CEO of Shopify declared “office centricity is over” and announced that their offices will be closed until 2021 at the earliest. He added that most positions will be changed to remote work permanently, unless absolutely required to in person.

Pretty bold statement, and one that will bear a lot of weight considering Shopify is Canada’s most valuable company. They just spent millions on a brand new big office in Ottawa, will be interesting to see what happens.

I’ve spoken to senior people at Skip who said they’ve seen little to no decrease in productivity.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
The Parker Lands are to be reviewed again. I didn't realized a judge ordered the City to pay GEM's legal fees. Peoples view of GEM as a developer aside, this really does look like a nice development if it were ever to move forward.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6966699/p...empt-of-court/

Parker Lands Development Website (Fulton Grove)

https://fultongrove.ca/

When I think about Fulton I think about Atlanta.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post

I don't know anything about Atlanta, are you saying it is a positive development?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:56 PM
Ignore these four words.

Atlanta is in Fulton County.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 1:58 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post

And when I think of Fulton, I think of the Fullerton CTA Station in Chicago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullerton_station_(CTA)

Is Parker Station actually the current Beaumont Station or will there be an additional one built in the area? Nice to see if they can connect to the Taylor/Grant Park neighbourhood.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:28 PM

Article about McLaren Hotel development on the CBC news website today:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ject-1.5578597

Apparently the plans include a 12-storey building on the parking lot adjacent to the hotel that will include some affordable housing.

From what I've heard the owner of the McLaren wants his property to be a decent residence (not a "slum landlord" type, if there's a type) and this new building would include some element of affordable housing as well.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 4:45 PM

I was a bit worried at the start of the article of adding yet another shelter of sorts on Main and bringing some of the issues even further south, but it sounds like this is a bit different and focuses more on affordability and community. Could be an interesting project.

While I do agree with giving the McLaren historical designation, I also completely agree with Mayes here that the inconsistency is ridiculous. Clearly CanadInns is just powerful and rich enough to get their way, while this independent owner has no pull at city hall.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:10 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
While I do agree with giving the McLaren historical designation, I also completely agree with Mayes here that the inconsistency is ridiculous. Clearly CanadInns is just powerful and rich enough to get their way, while this independent owner has no pull at city hall.
It is pretty shocking eh? McLaren appears to have a real plan with additional parties involved including city councilors while CanadInns has a vague claim about spending $150 million to do... something... Even though the average CanadInns project looks like it was done for 34 cents and a piece of paper that just says IOU.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
It is pretty shocking eh? McLaren appears to have a real plan with additional parties involved including city councilors while CanadInns has a vague claim about spending $150 million to do... something... Even though the average CanadInns project looks like it was done for 34 cents and a piece of paper that just says IOU.
I didn't really get the idea that the owner had a real plan. To me it sounds more like he has an idea. The idea he has also doesn't seem to have anything to do with the heritage status of the McLaren. Is the parking lot also getting heritage status?

I was working with someone at Manitoba Housing over the winter and they mentioned that quite often when an RFP is put out, you get everyone and their grandma putting in bids. They often say they would work with all levels of government to acquire funding in order to move a project, they just came up with, forward. The problem with this is, without the funding from these levels of government then the plan is not viable. At this moment they don't have the funding, so at this time the plan isn't viable. They have no plan, they have no funding secured, they have nothing until those details are figured out.

I'm sure if they secure funding with the appropriate branches of different levels of government that the city would be happy to work with them to develop that site. The councilor even advised him to speak with the city's housing department to apply for grants. Once he gets there then maybe he can come back to council with his plan. In all honesty he probably should have begun doing all that the first time he asked for an extension.

The fact the city has made errors in the past, as with Somerset, doesn't justify the city continue to make errors. It just means going forward they should make less errors.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 8:35 PM
Source?

Quote:
I didn't really get the idea that the owner had a real plan. To me it sounds more like he has an idea. The idea he has also doesn't seem to have anything to do with the heritage status of the McLaren. Is the parking lot also getting heritage status?
The McLaren proposal seems much further along as it provided some actual details while the CanadInns article include vague information:

This is the info I got from the CBC articles for each site.

McLaren:
(new build)
- 12 story building
- 108 suite housing project
- One third will be designated as affordable housing
- New build will be used to finance preservation of the McLaren

(McLaren)
- Preserve the exterior

Canad Place (Somerset):
- Going to "make it a lot nicer"
- Going to be glazed in
- Will include bars, restaurants and retail
- $150 million redevelopment

Just reading through the 2 articles you can see the difference in where they are in the process. 12 stories and 108 suites are not a vague guess, there's clearly been some work put into the concept of this building - just because we didn't get actual diagrams and concept art doesn't mean that work hasn't been put into it. While "glazed in" and "will include bars/restaurants/retail" is not very detailed... how many bars/restaurants?

Quote:
The fact the city has made errors in the past, as with Somerset, doesn't justify the city continue to make errors. It just means going forward they should make less errors.
I'm 100% for heritage status for the McLaren, I don't really care how well developed their plans are. I'm just saying their plans appear to have been thought out and have moved to the point where they know the height and number of units the building will have, and that it will be used to fund the McLaren redevelopment/preservation.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
The McLaren proposal seems much further along as it provided some actual details while the CanadInns article include vague information:

This is the info I got from the CBC articles for each site.

McLaren:
(new build)
- 12 story building
- 108 suite housing project
- One third will be designated as affordable housing
- New build will be used to finance preservation of the McLaren

(McLaren)
- Preserve the exterior

Canad Place (Somerset):
- Going to "make it a lot nicer"
- Going to be glazed in
- Will include bars, restaurants and retail
- $150 million redevelopment

Just reading through the 2 articles you can see the difference in where they are in the process. 12 stories and 108 suites are not a vague guess, there's clearly been some work put into the concept of this building - just because we didn't get actual diagrams and concept art doesn't mean that work hasn't been put into it. While "glazed in" and "will include bars/restaurants/retail" is not very detailed... how many bars/restaurants?

I'm 100% for heritage status for the McLaren, I don't really care how well developed their plans are. I'm just saying their plans appear to have been thought out and have moved to the point where they know the height and number of units the building will have, and that it will be used to fund the McLaren redevelopment/preservation.
With the information that was provided to us and city council, this project isn't far enough along to be considered viable. It sounds like the McLaren is asking government to fund the repairs and help build this other building. Does the McLaren have any money to add to either of these projects? They haven't expressed any ability to obtain financing. All they have done is mention their hope to obtain funds from the government.

Also, why does this new building have anything to do with this building being designated as a heritage building? Sorry if it sounds like I'm attacking your argument, that isn't my intent. To me both Somerset and the McLaren have not offered any real explanation as to why their buildings should be exempt.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Article about McLaren Hotel development on the CBC news website today:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ject-1.5578597

Apparently the plans include a 12-storey building on the parking lot adjacent to the hotel that will include some affordable housing.

From what I've heard the owner of the McLaren wants his property to be a decent residence (not a "slum landlord" type, if there's a type) and this new building would include some element of affordable housing as well.
I don't buy any of this. The "plan" sounds ridiculous. If the McLaren "hotel" remains a "Hotel" (slum).. then I'm afraid any development is pointless. Condos, apartments, offices, an ACTUAL hotel... now THAT would be news. This is just depressing.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 10:47 PM
Source?

Quote:
With the information that was provided to us and city council, this project isn't far enough along to be considered viable. It sounds like the McLaren is asking government to fund the repairs and help build this other building. Does the McLaren have any money to add to either of these projects? They haven't expressed any ability to obtain financing. All they have done is mention their hope to obtain funds from the government.

Also, why does this new building have anything to do with this building being designated as a heritage building? Sorry if it sounds like I'm attacking your argument, that isn't my intent. To me both Somerset and the McLaren have not offered any real explanation as to why their buildings should be exempt.
100% agree with you on this. In both cases their arguments against heritage designation was pretty weak, and both cases had the "you cant do this now because were just moments away from massive redevelopments" excuse.

My issue (which re-reading what I posted is pretty undefined and turned into rants - my apologies for that!) is that the McLaren one, which has less money behind it, appears to have been much further into its development idea than CanadInns. It's frustrating seeing our city bullied once again by an asshole with deep pockets.

If you haven't already read the article for Somerset I would encourage you to. The tone CanadInns has towards it is shockingly hostile. They clearly managed to bully the city into doing what they want. (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...inns-1.5450092)

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 12:44 AM
Back from the dead

There's only one thing I want from the CanadInns plans for their $150 million...do something about that god-awful ugly and depressing hotel tower. I know some people like that brutalism style but it just destroys my soul.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 12:56 AM
surely you agree with me

Ha ha. My favourite tower in Winnipeg!

Last edited by trueviking; May 25, 2020 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 1:00 AM

Somerset already has more than enough retail with the dollar store.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 1:20 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Ha ha. My favourite tower in Winnipeg!

Canad has done no planning for a mega project. That number is an order of magnitude larger than anything they have ever done.
Help me to understand why. I'm not besmirching your good taste but for the love of all things holy...why?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan