HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I live off of Henderson and I see houses on Henderson seem to sell in a reasonable time when they do come up.

I'm going way back in my memory but I believe the reason for not allowing commercial to replace residential on Henderson was driven by the area residents informing the Community Committee when the area development action plan was being created they did not want to have Henderson to look like Pembina highway with very few houses on it.
That's a nice thought, but the houses on busy arterials tend to become the least desirable houses in a neighbourhood. Look at the houses along any major street... they tend to be not quite as well kept as the ones on side streets. The houses on Henderson that are set well back from the street (west side backing on to the river) will never have that problem but over time the houses right on Henderson will deteriorate.

Anyway, I'm not sure how realistic the Community Committee's plan was given that so much of Henderson was already commercial to begin with. There are many multi-block long stretches of commercial development.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 1:39 PM

I always wondered why Henderson wasn't built up more. Now I know. The NIMBY's.

What's the threshold. Just commercial I suppose since those condos are permitted. I can read into the community plan when I get some time (which is maybe never..).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 4:44 PM

There's a very old plan for part of Henderson Highway (dating back to the 1970s) that limits new development, but it's for further north on Henderson. I suspect there was in the former East and North Kildonan municipalities a strong opposition to commercial/apartment encroachment, and that kind of thinking has guided/stemmed development on Henderson over the years.

Now all of Henderson is considered a mixed use corridor under the city's Complete Communities plan, which means Henderson is vaguely envisioned as mixed-use, with apartments and commercial. I don't expect those small strips of single-family houses on Henderson to stick around forever.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
mixed use 474 Henderson

my mistake, the renderings above are for 1400 Henderson.

This is 474:

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 7:53 PM

Looks like the Polo Park Development is cancelled for the time being.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6878016/r...park-epc-vote/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 8:35 PM

Ah. 1400 Henderson is the old NK City Hall building, I believe.

Are those rendering from City Clerks or somewhere else?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Looks like the Polo Park Development is cancelled for the time being.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6878016/r...park-epc-vote/
I know many here will disagree but right now I agree with this. Amend the bylaw, with input from WAA, don't just ignore it because Shindico shows some pretty pictures and makes claims that the airport will not be affected. As I have said before, Shindico and CF do not make these plans with the best interests of the city in mind, they make plans because they see profit for themselves. That's perfectly acceptable, of course, but it means they should not simply be believed when they claim there will be no negative impact on the airport.

Actually, I was starting to wonder what a large-scale residential development at Polo Park might do to the efforts to bring more residential downtown? Could it have put a halt to further downtown residential density?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 9:24 PM

I would be OK with a no from the City if it triggers an actual review of the airport area plan. Things have changed significantly since the mid 90s when the plan was created... the types of aircraft used then are much different from what YWG gets now. The plan should reflect the current and future state of affairs, not what was going on in 1995.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 2:38 AM

Yeah I'm definitely in the camp that wants to see lots of residential in that area, but if this is just a no for now and leads to a proper review (of facts, not opinions) of the AVDP – I'm cool with that.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I would be OK with a no from the City if it triggers an actual review of the airport area plan. Things have changed significantly since the mid 90s when the plan was created... the types of aircraft used then are much different from what YWG gets now. The plan should reflect the current and future state of affairs, not what was going on in 1995.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 1:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
mixed use 474 Henderson

Quote:
my mistake, the renderings above are for 1400 Henderson.

In light of this new site information, do I win a prize?

I know it is really weird to quote yourself but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I'm not sure I understand that rendering either. As rrskyler said, there is already a condo/apartment under construction at 474 Henderson. Its alignment is more of a E/W and is only about one or two properties wide with Henderson frontage. That leaves two properties left on that block. Hardly enough room for something of that length.

I would love to see more of this all along Henderson. Would be great up by Henderson and Sutton where the old Police building is.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 2:00 PM
What could go wrong?

Kind of looks like an Ironclad Project
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:45 AM
surely you agree with me

Still really good news. Nice project.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 2:34 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Cornish Library Expansion Project

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 12:30 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

New commercial building on Stafford St. north of Grosvenor Ave.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 3:10 PM

The library project is neat.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 4:12 PM

The last few new/renovated library projects have been beautiful. The monstrosity going up beside Pan Am Pool looks like it's going to buck that trend. I get they wanted it to be "inspired by" Rooster Town, but did they really have to make it look like a shed. Just the frame is up right now and it's not looking good.

Like why couldn't they have just incorporated elements of Rooster Town and indigenous design, instead of building a giant shed.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The last few new/renovated library projects have been beautiful. The monstrosity going up beside Pan Am Pool looks like it's going to buck that trend. I get they wanted it to be "inspired by" Rooster Town, but did they really have to make it look like a shed. Just the frame is up right now and it's not looking good.

Like why couldn't they have just incorporated elements of Rooster Town and indigenous design, instead of building a giant shed.
From the Project Storyboards:
<
The City has been consulting with Rooster Town families to determine how best to move forward with the Grant Park Recreation space in a way that respects and honours the history of this place and those who lived in Rooster Town. Recognition of the history of the site will be recognized through:

• Display of recorded images of photos of Rooster Town
• Collection of artifacts and books
• Listening station of interviews and recordings from Rooster Town
• Saskatoon berry fabric patterns and lighting features
• Steel and wood materials to reflect Rooster Town home building
• Aerial images of Rooster Town near entry
• Concrete seating feature at corner of Grant Avenue and Cambridge Street in Michif language welcoming visitors

Please note: Rooster Town families are involved in this process and the design elements of Rooster Town recognition may change following input from Rooster Town families.
>

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 11:08 PM
surely you agree with me

i wonder if the giant rooster town tea kettle at the rapid transit stop is meant to go inside the giant rooster town house.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 4:27 PM

^that all sounds great but doesn't talk about or excuse the design of the building

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan