HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 4:48 PM

This season's road construction about to start, from CTV news website:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/road-con...-may-1.4911263

Personally I am SO glad to see Portage Ave from memorial to Fort being repaired. Yes, many other roads need repairs too, but IMO Portage Ave downtown is still supposed to be our "marquee" thoroughfare. It's been getting a little ragged lately,

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 4:56 PM

Portage downtown got a total overhaul sometime around 1999, maybe right before the Pan Am Games? But yeah, after 20+ years it's looking pretty rough now in terms of the pavement condition. Definitely time for some improvements.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

Personally I am SO glad to see Portage Ave from memorial to Fort being repaired. Yes, many other roads need repairs too, but IMO Portage Ave downtown is still supposed to be our "marquee" thoroughfare. It's been getting a little ragged lately,
That article upsets me. They won't allow any 24 hour construction on any of those sites, they are all (more or less) residential. I am against 24 hour construction but I don't think they should be getting any political credit for something that isn't real.

Also, Saturday as a working day is bs. I already work 5-6 days a week, now I have to work 6-7? And Saturday is the worst traffic day of the week, now it will be even worse. I don't mind be stuck in traffic when I'm being paid, but I hate it on my own time. Good to see the infrastructure money is still flowing though.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 6:20 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

infrastructure replacement always causes pain its suks but sometimes we gotta go through it

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Also, Saturday as a working day is bs. I already work 5-6 days a week, now I have to work 6-7? And Saturday is the worst traffic day of the week, now it will be even worse. I don't mind be stuck in traffic when I'm being paid, but I hate it on my own time.
Saturday is the worst traffic day?? The Saturday part was about Portage downtown, and Portage definitely has less traffic on Saturdays than on weekdays. There's no rush hour on Saturday.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Saturday is the worst traffic day?? The Saturday part was about Portage downtown, and Portage definitely has less traffic on Saturdays than on weekdays. There's no rush hour on Saturday.
It's probably my perception. I should rephrase. Saturday is the worst day for patience.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 5:22 AM

mixed use 474 Henderson

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Apr 26, 2020 at 11:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 3:19 PM

Are sidewalks being redone on Portage too? All those coloured decorative pavers on the sidewalk are destroyed. They were clearly the cheapest bricks they could find and in some areas they're just decimated.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 5:10 PM
surely you agree with me

Wow. That project on Henderson is great. Actually built to the sidewalk!

474 is just a house though. This looks to be a block long. Must be taking several houses?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Are sidewalks being redone on Portage too? All those coloured decorative pavers on the sidewalk are destroyed. They were clearly the cheapest bricks they could find and in some areas they're just decimated.
No just asphalt overlay.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

474 is just a house though. This looks to be a block long. Must be taking several houses?
Yes several properties.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 2:53 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Yes several properties.
Cool. Do you know the architect or developer?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 3:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

Condo project already being built on that block that takes two lots up (two houses torn down), there are only two houses left on that block to the south of what is currently under construction.

The condo under construction looks nothing like what that rendering shows and no way it's only on two 40' lots! I sincerely doubt they allow retail on that stretch of Henderson, thought someone mentioned that or I was dreaming.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Condo project already being built on that block that takes two lots up (two houses torn down), there are only two houses left on that block to the south of what is currently under construction.

The condo under construction looks nothing like what that rendering shows and no way it's only on two 40' lots! I sincerely doubt they allow retail on that stretch of Henderson, thought someone mentioned that or I was dreaming.
I believe that its the Henderson Highway Corridor Action Area Plan that restricts demolishing residential for new retail on Henderson Hwy.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 1:51 PM
What could go wrong?

I'm not sure I understand that rendering either. As rrskyler said, there is already a condo/apartment under construction at 474 Henderson. Its alignment is more of a E/W and is only about one or two properties wide with Henderson frontage. That leaves two properties left on that block. Hardly enough room for something of that length.

I would love to see more of this all along Henderson. Would be great up by Henderson and Sutton where the old Police building is.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I believe that its the Henderson Highway Corridor Action Area Plan that restricts demolishing residential for new retail on Henderson Hwy.
Really? Any single family homes that remain along major arterial routes tends to become run down because no one wants to have a living room that is 25 feet away from traffic blasting by 24/7. So you end up with a bunch of poorly maintained homes that look ugly. The housing stock along Henderson is probably better than on most similar arterials in that situation, but the long term prospects are still pretty dim.

Even apart from that issue, it would make sense to have a little more density on a route that is so well served by transit. Something modest like the residential on top of commercial project that wpgguy posted would be an improvement in that regard.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

I sure hope that Pembina stretch gets bike lanes, there is a gap between Chevrier and I believe Point road. This would help fill that gap.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 2:04 PM
the first stamp is free

Anyone (Biff) know what is happening in that empty lot beside 394 Portage?

There is some fencing up and a smallish trawler crane parked on site.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 2:11 PM
What could go wrong?

It was slated to be a parkade for the Boyd Building redevelopment designed by 546...Arch. In my last conversations with them, it was all but cancelled (last year). Bid plans but didn't go anywhere.

Maybe some mechanical equipment service? I'll ask around.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Really? Any single family homes that remain along major arterial routes tends to become run down because no one wants to have a living room that is 25 feet away from traffic blasting by 24/7. So you end up with a bunch of poorly maintained homes that look ugly. The housing stock along Henderson is probably better than on most similar arterials in that situation, but the long term prospects are still pretty dim.

Even apart from that issue, it would make sense to have a little more density on a route that is so well served by transit. Something modest like the residential on top of commercial project that wpgguy posted would be an improvement in that regard.
I live off of Henderson and I see houses on Henderson seem to sell in a reasonable time when they do come up.

I'm going way back in my memory but I believe the reason for not allowing commercial to replace residential on Henderson was driven by the area residents informing the Community Committee when the area development action plan was being created they did not want to have Henderson to look like Pembina highway with very few houses on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan