HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 12:27 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If you look closely many urban ridings in Ontario and Quebec are not highlighted. I'm surprised how much of Southern Quebec is dominated by manufacturing. I might have expected one or two ridings like that in New Brunswick too. Some of it is food product manufacturing in agricultural areas.

In the same way PEI is largely agricultural by land area but not around Charlottetown where there is a more diverse economy.
I take it these maps are not excluding government jobs. Otherwise they don't make a lot of sense. Also, if it's like the U.S., the largest private employer in some urban areas might be something like Walmart or Costco, even if a city is a manufacturing hub.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 12:47 AM

In the Centre-du-Québec region, about 30% of the jobs are in manufacturing. That's about 10% more than the provincial average. 93% of its territory is zoned agricultural.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 10:13 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Don't think I've posted this before. A map of roads in Nova Scotia with county boundaries.

Source

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:33 PM

Is that map for largest single employer, or where that sector is the largest employer?

Looking at my home of Norfolk, I find it pretty hard to believe that manufacturing is bigger than agriculture. There's Toyotetsu in Simcoe, the Tobacco processing places, a few smaller farm-equipment type places, and a Bryer's plant (not sure if food counts as manufacturing?). I find it hard to believe that those outnumber all the farming, especially when most of it is labour-intensive with migrant workers for tobacco, ginseng, and vegetables.

Edit: Okay, "riding", so we're grouped with Haldimand, maybe Stelco Nanticoke outweighs the farming.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
In the Centre-du-Québec region, about 30% of the jobs are in manufacturing. That's about 10% more than the provincial average. 93% of its territory is zoned agricultural.
There is a quite a bit of small town and small city manufacturing in Quebec's southern St. Lawrence valley.

It's one thing I noticed coming from the Maritimes (and also all of Ontario east and north of the GTA).

That map clearly confirms my impressions from many years ago. (Though my guess is that in many places it's declined a bit from what it used to be.)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 2:11 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Is that map for largest single employer, or where that sector is the largest employer?
The latter.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This map doesn't tell us anything new, but it reinforces that the best winter weather id found in coastal Nova Scotia, the southern Avalon, southwestern Ontario and southern and coastal BC.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:40 AM

...and that the bad stuff is furthest south in Ontario and Quebec.
And the orange dots go as far north as Haida Gwaii B.C.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:47 AM

Cool map! Timmins is in the purple zone and very few people live in a colder place.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 2:44 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Do the dots represent weather stations? Note that some of the dots do not match the colour of the surrounding background.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 4:12 AM
ARTchitecture

It's wild how far south the extreme cold (purple) drops in the east. In ON and PQ it is approx 1200 km south of where it is in BC and AB.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
It's wild how far south the extreme cold drops in the east. In ON and PQ it is approx 1200 km south of where it is in BC and AB.
That's what I thought!
Meanwhile BC has a frost free coast all the way to Alaska!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
It's wild how far south the extreme cold (purple) drops in the east. In ON and PQ it is approx 1200 km south of where it is in BC and AB.
Why use PQ when QC is the real alpha code.
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...l/tbl8-eng.htm

Quote:
There is a quite a bit of small town and small city manufacturing in Quebec's southern St. Lawrence valley.
''Quebec has the largest blueberry, cranberry and total fruits, berries and nuts area in Canada, with cranberry area up by well over one-third from 2011.
Quebec also accounted for just over 90% of all maple taps in Canada in 2016.
Quebec had more pigs than any other province in 2016, accounting for almost one-third of all pigs in Canada. The number of pigs in Quebec increased 10.0% from 2011 to 4.5 million head in 2016,
Despite the decrease, Quebec still had the largest number of dairy cows and the largest number of farms reporting dairy cows in Canada.''
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/.../14804-eng.htm

Most of the production is in the southern St. Lawrence valley, with many processing plants scattered across the region.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 11:02 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

This map doesn't tell us anything new, but it reinforces that the best winter weather id found in coastal Nova Scotia, the southern Avalon, southwestern Ontario and southern and coastal BC.
I doubt SignalHillHiker would agree that anywhere in the Avalon has some of the best winter weather in Canada.

Newfoundland as a whole ranks pretty highly on the overall climate severity index which of course covers the whole year, not just winter.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 11:57 AM

I remember coming across a map once, I think in a geography textbook in university, that attempted to show "northiness". It combined a whole bunch of different factors (climate and vegetation are the ones I remember, but there were others) to try to show how "north" does extend further south in the east, and not just because of human factors like population density and resource-extraction-focused economies. It basically looked like this map.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It's the combined effect of Hudson Bay (like a giant chiller) and also to some degree the high mountains in the far west, which funnel the cold down southeastwards.

It has effects all the way down into the eastern US as one can see. Though there the NW cold effect dukes it out with the warming effect of the Atlantic coast.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
I remember coming across a map once, I think in a geography textbook in university, that attempted to show "northiness". It combined a whole bunch of different factors (climate and vegetation are the ones I remember, but there were others) to try to show how "north" does extend further south in the east, and not just because of human factors like population density and resource-extraction-focused economies. It basically looked like this map.
To me it looks like it's directly attributable to Hudson Bay.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It has effects all the way down into the eastern US as one can see. Though there the NW cold effect dukes it out with the warming effect of the Atlantic coast.
And then you get tornados and nor'easters!!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And then you get tornados and nor'easters!!
Indeed. The warm air from the Gulf of Mexico contributes to that too.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 5:05 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's the combined effect of Hudson Bay (like a giant chiller) and also to some degree the high mountains in the far west, which funnel the cold down southeastwards.

It's a combination of that and distance from the Pacific.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada