HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:25 PM

I don't shop at either, but I wouldn't mind seeing one of them there as it will attract the college crowd. I would love to see an Apple store, they just look hip and also retailers that we don't have in other parts of town or in AZ yet, but I don't know if they will be able to sell them on downtown. Puma and Armani Exchange are going to Scottsdale Fashion Square for example and those are two that I would have loved to see at CityScape.

I think we can all rest assured that there will be at least one Starbucks.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:31 PM
Dbacks baby!

maybe even a nice upscale dinner club

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:33 PM

I don't believe there are any nice sushi places (or any for that matter) in downtown, are there? That is another restaurant I would like to see...something like a Sapporo in North Scottsdale.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:39 PM
Dbacks baby!

^^^yea a good sushi restaurant for sure

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I think we can all rest assured that there will be at least one Starbucks.
I bet its more like one on each block.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:58 PM
BANNED

sushi would be awesome, even if it were mediocore.

hell I just want more options open at night!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:59 PM

I'm betting no gym, and almost certainly no video store. An Apple store would be cool, but I don't see it happening. Apple would look for an NE Phx location, is my guess. As for clothing, I'd say maybe an Urban Outfitters, less probably Abercrombie, and no way AE. I thought we decided Borders was pretty much a done deal? I'm guessing Borders. I wouldn't be shocked to hear RA Sushi announced, but I'd rather see Blue Wasabi or maybe a tapas concept... I think no way do we see anything really upscale (Sapporo) at this place, at least not in these phases. They've already pretty much announced PF Chang's as an "anchor," I don't think they'll have anything more expensive until the PF Chang's demonstrates viability in downtown. Maybe a hotel steakhouse or other restaurant concept will be announced further down the line as the hotel plans gel, but I don't see more upscale fancy dining being announced until more residents start to move in. I don't think RED is the kind of company that will pull out any huge incredible shops today. If there are any places that make us go "Wow, that's really cool that they got ________ to come downtown!" it'll be b/c the site is successful, not b/c of any major strides RED makes. I think it's too early for retailers/restaurateurs to commit based on the overall success of Cityscape as retail center.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 7:04 PM

I feel the excitement growing. I can't wait to hear from HX_Guy. Break that ground Damnit!!!!!!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 7:10 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
I actually started a thread on the CityScape page about what retail people would like to see, I'll repost what I said there: (though mine was specifically about chains people would like to see)

Quote:
Well if all goes according to the developers plans it sounds like there will be quite a large amount of retail in Cityscape. Of course some of these shops, eateries, etc. will be totally unique boutiques that are opening their first location.
However, I'm sure a good many of them will be chains of some scale, and thats what I was hoping to talk about in this posting. What sort of already established places would you like to see in Cityscape? I would hope that the developers focus on 'unique' chains (if thats not an oxymoron).
Here are some that I'm hoping for, divided by food and retail:
Food chains:
-Chipotle
-Gelato Spot
-Pop the Soda Shop (they only have one location currently, I don't know if they are looking to expand, but I'd love to have one downtown)
-Cereality (www.cereality.com)
-Manuels or some sort of Mexican (currently the only large Mexican places downtown are Mi Amigos and Matador)
-See's Candy, or some sort of candy store
-In'N'Out burger (it would have to have an urban design obviously)
-YCs Mongolian
-Hot Dog on a Stick
Non food/retail:
-Apple Store
-House of Hoops (new Nike/Footlocker store dedicated to basketball apparel, it could do well in our hoops crazed city)
-H&M and/or Buffalo Exchange
-Blockbuster/Hollywood video (there is nowhere downtown to rent movies) Anyway, there probably isn't room for all of those, especially since I listed a ton of eateries. Any places I didn't list that you'd like to see? Downtown currently lacks a lot in the way of retail, especially clothing, so hopefully Cityscape can fill that need.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 7:15 PM

groundbreaking event

Hey guys, I want to attend the groundbreaking event but I didn't get an invitation. Can anyone show up to this or is it a private RSVP thing? I was thinking I would just show up at US Airways and see if I could get in. Anyone have any information on this. Thanks

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archdevil View Post
Hey guys, I want to attend the groundbreaking event but I didn't get an invitation. Can anyone show up to this or is it a private RSVP thing? I was thinking I would just show up at US Airways and see if I could get in. Anyone have any information on this. Thanks
Sounds like its by invite only:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
It's today, but the time and place is being kept on the dowlow I believe, which is why it's not in the paper and so forth. I have a feeling it will be all over the news tomorrow.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 7:16 PM

The invitation said you need to RSVP by October 17th. I'm not sure if you could walk in without being on the list.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 7:35 PM

City Scape shops

I would much rather see a large Coffee Plantation, a phoenix based company, and perhaps a second smaller stand than a single Starbucks at Cityscape. I'm also not sure why anyone would be excited about American Eagle as a store when there are so many better places.

If they scale down the tallest tower then why not rise the lower towers up to compensate and keep the overall project the same square footage.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 7:45 PM

If they are scaling back the tallest tower, it will only affect the residential portion of the project. The only reasons I can really think of for doing that would either be the FAA, or the market...and it's probably more to do with the latter.

The original renderings showed 44 stories while the new one seems to show 38 stories. If the original tower was to be 510', or roughly 11.59' per floor, it would put the new height at 440' which. This new height is still way above what the FAA stated they would allow, unless they reached a compromise of somewhere in the middle.

Maybe the more likely culprit is the way the market is going and how that is affecting condo sales. I think the developer would really fight for those extra floors if it was an FAA issue but they may feel there are too many units and they would not sell, therefore they chopped them off...made the FAA happier and made it a little easier on themselves when it comes to sales.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 7:53 PM

HX_Guy.....You are in charge. Tell them to keep the original plan and height at the ground breaking. Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 10:29 PM

So then, any news on the groundbreaking? What time was/is it? I would have expected it to be earlier than this, like right after lunch maybe.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 1:47 AM

Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:33 PM MST
Wachovia to anchor CityScape office towerThe Business Journal of Phoenix - by Jan Buchholz Phoenix Business Journal
Wachovia Corp. announced Monday that it will be the anchor tenant in the 600,000-square-foot CityScape office tower in downtown Phoenix.

The complete CityScape project -- a 2.5 million-square-foot retail, residential, office and hospitality complex spanning three city blocks -- is being built by RED Development, which has offices in Scottsdale and Kansas City, Mo. The project is in the spotlight this week, with a big groundbreaking celebration scheduled for Monday night.

Wachovia, based in Charlotte, N.C., announced several weeks ago that it was planning to locate its Arizona headquarters in downtown Phoenix, but declined to say where until now.

"Wachovia has the naming rights (to the office tower)," said Michael Ebert, owner of RED Development.

Wachovia, the fourth-largest bank in the country, has been moving into the Phoenix market slowly with several acquisitions. But officials decided to make a big splash with this move, putting the bank's name on a downtown office building scheduled for completion in November 2009.

"There's a lot of options in the Valley, but we thought downtown Phoenix made the most sense," said Bill Morgan, Wachovia's regional vice president for Arizona.

RED Development also announced Monday that Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, based in San Francisco, will build a 250-room luxury boutique hotel at CityScape called Hotel Palomar. Other marquee names committed to the project are AJ's Fine Foods, Twelve Hotels & Residences, and P.F. Chang's China Bistro.

Ebert said other tenants will be named in the next couple of months, and a signature restaurant will be among them.

"We're far along with negotiations with a restaurant not currently in the market," Ebert said.

Like the convention center expansion, the CityScape project will involve massive excavation work, which will begin by mid-November. Hunt Construction, also the contractor on the convention center project, will handle the excavation and construction on the middle block of CityScape, which is bounded by Central Avenue, First Street, and Jefferson and Washington streets.

Bids are being reviewed for a general contractor on the remaining parcels, which will include retail space, more hotels and restaurants, and residential units.

"Retail is really the common thread of this project," Ebert said.

Patriot's Square Park will be closed in December to make way for the western block of the CityScape development, including renovations to that block's underground parking structure. Although the garage will remain open, its capacity will be limited until that portion of the project is completed in late 2009.

Architecture for CityScape will be more shiny and edgy than seen thus far downtown.

"We think the contemporary steel and glass will make a bolder statement," Ebert said.

David Krietor, Phoenix's deputy city manager, said that with CityScape and the Jackson Street Entertainment District planned nearby, downtown will never be the same.

"You're going to see a huge transformation of downtown Phoenix within the next couple of years," Krietor said.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:05 AM

^Welp sounds like they didn't really reveal anything that we didn't already know. Other than that PSP will close in December, I can't wait to watch them take the wrecking ball to that dump.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:12 AM
BANNED

It's never going to be the same again!!!!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:42 AM

The plot thickens....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevininlb View Post

Ebert said other tenants will be named in the next couple of months, and a signature restaurant will be among them.

"We're far along with negotiations with a restaurant not currently in the market," Ebert said.
This could be really interesting. They called PF Chang's a "marquee name" and this other tenant is a "signature restaurant." Not currently in the market could mean the Phoenix metro market or the Phoenix downtown market. Interesting....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest