HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 4:16 PM

HRM Layoffs

CBC story outlining the decision:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...d-19-1.5532856

Not as many actual layoffs as the 1400 number would indicate as many of that group are people who are not being hired for the summer.

Also the Mayor is taking a small haircut on his $190K salary:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...emic-1.5534267

That is something that really should be mandated more widely.

Yesterday there was a question at a press briefing about whether HRM could go bankrupt as a result of this present situation. The suggestion was laughed off by Dube and Savage. But thinking outside the box, that might not be a totally bad thing. Bankruptcy would enable HRM to get out from under all sorts of expensive obligations, renegotiate collective agreements, shed excess staff, and restructure itself to be far more economical. It could be a very useful exercise.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
CBC story outlining the decision:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...d-19-1.5532856

Not as many actual layoffs as the 1400 number would indicate as many of that group are people who are not being hired for the summer.

Also the Mayor is taking a small haircut on his $190K salary:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...emic-1.5534267

That is something that really should be mandated more widely.

Yesterday there was a question at a press briefing about whether HRM could go bankrupt as a result of this present situation. The suggestion was laughed off by Dube and Savage. But thinking outside the box, that might not be a totally bad thing. Bankruptcy would enable HRM to get out from under all sorts of expensive obligations, renegotiate collective agreements, shed excess staff, and restructure itself to be far more economical. It could be a very useful exercise.
Yes, Keith, $38,000 is a “haircut” off his salary.

How much of a pay cut are you giving to charities or similar organizations? Or giving back to your community? I’d bet $0

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

How much of a pay cut are you giving to charities or similar organizations? Or giving back to your community? I’d bet $0
I do not make nearly $200K annually like he does. Nor the nearly $300K annually that Dube does. Nor do I have access to all the freebies they both take advantage of. In any event it is $3100/month, not $38K, and you know that it will be reinstated within a short time.

I never realized that the only taxpayers of HRM who are allowed to comment on salaries and benefits of senior officials are those making similar amounts.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 5:01 AM

Quote:
I do not make nearly $200K annually like he does. Nor the nearly $300K annually that Dube does. Nor do I have access to all the freebies they both take advantage of. In any event it is $3100/month, not $38K, and you know that it will be reinstated within a short time.

I never realized that the only taxpayers of HRM who are allowed to comment on salaries and benefits of senior officials are those making similar amounts.
Hmmm... it's a known fact that people in higher positions with responsible jobs tend to make a lot of money - it's not new information, nor does it mean they don't earn it.

Regardless of one's opinion of others who make more money than they do, a $37200/yr voluntary pay cut is actually a noble thing to do. Many people in industry now have had mandatory pay cuts (I have) or have lost their jobs completely, so I think it's a gesture of good will and a sign of good leadership to voluntarily mandate a cut of your own pay, regardless of whether anybody thinks it's not enough or that it will be reinstated shortly (with no source provided to back up the assertion).

Methinks somebody just does not like municipal politicians...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Hmmm... it's a known fact that people in higher positions with responsible jobs tend to make a lot of money - it's not new information, nor does it mean they don't earn it.

Regardless of one's opinion of others who make more money than they do, a $37200/yr voluntary pay cut is actually a noble thing to do. Many people in industry now have had mandatory pay cuts (I have) or have lost their jobs completely, so I think it's a gesture of good will and a sign of good leadership to voluntarily mandate a cut of your own pay, regardless of whether anybody thinks it's not enough or that it will be reinstated shortly (with no source provided to back up the assertion).

Methinks somebody just does not like municipal politicians...
I was not being critical of Savage at all (though the salary of the largely ceremonial Mayor position is far too high but that is another question). The point was that the other HRM Council members and senior management there need to follow his lead. Methinks the person who posted the snarky reply to me was unfamiliar with the use of the term haircut when discussing salary reductions.

I note that some HRM councillors are saying that it is impossible to cut their salaries due to a HRM administrative order setting their pay levels, which is preposterous and exactly the kind of thing I would expect from them.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I was not being critical of Savage at all (though the salary of the largely ceremonial Mayor position is far too high but that is another question). The point was that the other HRM Council members and senior management there need to follow his lead. Methinks the person who posted the snarky reply to me was unfamiliar with the use of the term haircut when discussing salary reductions.

I note that some HRM councillors are saying that it is impossible to cut their salaries due to a HRM administrative order setting their pay levels, which is preposterous and exactly the kind of thing I would expect from them.
Yes, I agree that more could have been done on the other levels by perhaps trading off higher level salary cuts to maintain some of the lower-paid positions for work that now will not be done this year. Some of the positions cut are probably students who depend on those jobs to pay next year's tuition, or people who just can't afford not having work and will now have to apply for other government assistance.

Reasonable points, Keith.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

I am not inclined pat our Mayor on the back too much. Savage has made no mention if he is partaking of his Parliamentary Pension that will more than make up the % 20 haircut. Like most things in the Liberal party family, optics are more important than delivering.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 12:41 PM

Another round of "financial responsibility theater" coming up:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...cuts-1.5563741

The rubber will meet the road when we see what sacred cows get saved. In reality the HRM budget cuts need to be much deeper than those proposed considering the dire state of the economy.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 7:34 PM

Speaking of "financial responsibility theatre" HRM is pile driving a quarter million bucks into the Bus Stop Theatre.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 8:16 PM

Old news I belevee, but no less troubling.

However that will be mere pocket change compared to what they will be giving to the Khyber clubhouse.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 8:44 PM

There is no amount of money HRM won't plow into Khyber. Their funding is recession-proof.

Last edited by The Crow Whisperer; Dec 22, 2020 at 7:16 PM. Reason: Brevity

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy