HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 5:14 PM

edited.

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 5:27 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 5:51 PM

I think that parkade had structural issues.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I think that parkade had structural issues.
Yup, maintenance had been deferred/ignored through the decades and the structure was in need significant structural remediation. I don't recall if the parkade was torn down before or after The Bay relocated to Midtown, but without the draw of The Bay across the street, it wouldn't be practical to sink millions of dollars into a parkade that would be only partially occupied.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:17 PM

edited?

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:21 PM

edited

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Yup, maintenance had been deferred/ignored through the decades and the structure was in need significant structural remediation. I don't recall if the parkade was torn down before or after The Bay relocated to Midtown, but without the draw of The Bay across the street, it wouldn't be practical to sink millions of dollars into a parkade that would be only partially occupied.
This was also in the wake of several deadly parking structure collapses in QC and the world, and I have a vague recollection that they weren't collecting enough revenues to pay the escalating maintenance costs.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Of course, in other issues, this was the only skywalk we had in Saskatoon, and I miss it muchly, regardless of the haters. It gave us kids the only big city view we could get. Cheers.
Isn't there still a skywalk down by st Paul's? I know it's not downtown. Also the university has a lot of them

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 11:05 AM

edited

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Thanks. Can you post a link for the structural issues? If the Bay had stayed open for instance, would they've had to tear the parkade down?

Sorry, just going from memory of living here at the time and being a recent civil engineering grad. I do recall that there were areas with the top mat of rebar exposed.

If it's any consolation, the parkade I used in Edmonton 25 years ago had the exact same issue. Not a reassuring feeling driving over exposed rebar. Just hope the engineers were using a really fat factor of safety in their calculations.

So, a fairly common issue where proper maintenance on the traffic topping wasn't getting done. I think it's less a shoddy construction issue and more of "concrete is maintenance free - no need to spend any money" issue. Nope - there's a reason parkade decks have traffic toppings to protect the concrete from corrosive salts, etc. that fall off the vehicles parked there.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:57 PM

Looks like they’re tearing down the Bamboo Shoots building on Main Street:

I emailed the City about the development appeal for this site (the 15-storey mixed-use tower) and it’s been approved! They just haven’t posted the decision to the City website yet.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask.ks View Post
I emailed the City about the development appeal for this site (the 15-storey mixed-use tower) and it’s been approved! They just haven’t posted the decision to the City website yet.
Hey that's fantastic! 15 stories is pretty tall for the Broadway area --- it will set a nice precedent! With all of the new developments on that part of Main Street, I wonder how long the strip mall on the NE corner of Broadway and Main will last.

(I also wish I had a crystal ball to see the future of Extra Foods --- whatever else happens, I hope there's a grocery store there forever.)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:30 PM

That’s so exciting! It’s going to be nice to have another dense block join Saskatoon. This will be the 2nd most dense block in the city next to 25th and 5th. We really haven’t had dense blocks prior to this, so hopefully the city sees this and invests in this two areas a lot more than they currently do. These are heavy tax dollars parts of the city that deserve better services.

Fyi - bamboo shoots is now basically downtown at 25th and Idylwyld

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
(I also wish I had a crystal ball to see the future of Extra Foods --- whatever else happens, I hope there's a grocery store there forever.)
Same here. Baydo's project, the tower on the Bamboo Shoots property, and the rezoning on Main Street next door that was just approved (plus hopefully Highpoint someday) all bode well for growing the store's local customer base. I try to shop there as much as I can (although it doesn't suffice for all my grocery needs) and it seems really well-supported and embraced by the neighbourhood.

Funny that the NIMBYs opposing these Broadway area developments can't see that it helps keep their main street grocery store alive. All they see is negative, never positive.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:57 PM

The old Bamboo Shoots building is officially history.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
This will be the 2nd most dense block in the city next to 25th and 5th.
I don't know, do you really think that this strip can compete with the Market Mall megacity???

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 10:39 PM

I really hope we see some real renders of the tower at the Bamboo Shoots site...just because the appeal got approved, doesn’t mean they’ll actually build it! Hopefully we hear more from either the developers or Kindrachuk Agrey in the coming weeks.

NorthPrairie had their development appeal approved for their proposal at the College Drive and Clarence Ave site years ago and we all know how that turned out (good ol NorthPrairie)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask.ks View Post
I really hope we see some real renders of the tower at the Bamboo Shoots site...just because the appeal got approved, doesn’t mean they’ll actually build it! Hopefully we hear more from either the developers or Kindrachuk Agrey in the coming weeks.

NorthPrairie had their development appeal approved for their proposal at the College Drive and Clarence Ave site years ago and we all know how that turned out (good ol NorthPrairie)
Yea if I remember right this proposal was proposed by one NHL player? One NHL player can’t afford a 15 story condo... hopefully this doesn’t turn into a parking lot 😔

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 11:17 PM

oops spoke too soon - this article says they’re starting in a couple of months!!

Awesome to see new developers with capital pwning North Prairie’s false promises that scared away developers for years

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ower-in-nutana

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
oops spoke too soon - this article says they’re starting in a couple of months!!

Awesome to see new developers with capital pwning North Prairie’s false promises that scared away developers for years

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ower-in-nutana
Can’t wait to see the renders! I’m sure James Wright (the NHLer behind this development) and his family have enough money - they own Wright construction

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan