HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 2:39 AM

Thumbs up Beyond the Greenbelt: BARRHAVEN

Barrhaven is a suburb of Ottawa. It's obligatory to listen to this youtube clip while
you look at the pictures. It will explain everything.

Video Link

BARRHAVEN

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 3:07 AM
Vancouverite

That looks so.....
intriguing

Whenever i'm in the US or Eastern Canada I\m always interested by these types of surburban cities.
It just seems so normal.

Anyways thanks for uploading pics, I enjoyed them!

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 4:00 AM

LOL!!! Hilarious video... I lived in far suburbs both in Ottawa and Montreal... I was soooo bored. Thanks for the pictures and specially the clip... they made me shiver. Ps. Zaphod's has become such an institution!

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
LOL!!! Hilarious video... I lived in far suburbs both in Ottawa and Montreal... I was soooo bored. Thanks for the pictures and specially the clip... they made me shiver. Ps. Zaphod's has become such an institution!
It all depends what you want if your just interested in clubs etc then no burbs are not for you but over all suburbs are not boring.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
It all depends what you want if your just interested in clubs etc then no burbs are not for you but over all suburbs are not boring.
I live in a suburb of Montreal, so no I'm not dumping on suburbs per se. I am judging on what I see popping up in the middle of agricultural land with tacky materials, Insane density in the middle of nowhere which profits the developer not the buyer (No matter what eco-green salad speech they throw at him). Vinyl is good for Alberta; What is good for Alberta is good for Canada. Just axe Stephen.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 2:35 AM

Interesting. One thing I don't like about suburbs in Canada is that they're built so packed in that you don't even have room for trees. The golf course and the areas in the last few pictures look alright.

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 5:58 PM
BANNED

Those are the worst suburbs I've ever seen.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 1:39 AM

Some great shots - some just a stone's throw from where I live (Strandherd and Jockvale)

I've been in Barrhaven for 20 years (back then if you wanted anything other than groceries you used to have to go to Bayshore!), and can't fault it for a place to raise a family.

However my son is graduating high school next year and I'm off to Wellington Village, looking forward to shedding suburban guy persona and the accumulated crap that comes with it for a more uncluttered urban lifestyle.

The pace of development along Strandherd up to the Fallowfield/416 intersection is frightening, with what were farmers fields a few years ago now fully fledged neighbourhoods.

What is interesting is that after the recent wind storm a lot of the new build houses had shingles missing, especially those on the western edge of the developments.

There are a few non-standard places buried amongst the sea of vinyl siding, Stone House Court has an older "heritage" home tucked away in a corner, there's an old barn and buildings on Melville Drive behind Mowatt Farm Park, and the developers kept the old farm house at the intersection of Grandfield Lane and Long Gate Court, south of Fallowfield opposite the Via Rail station.

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exewau View Post
There are a few non-standard places buried amongst the sea of vinyl siding, Stone House Court has an older "heritage" home tucked away in a corner, there's an old barn and buildings on Melville Drive behind Mowatt Farm Park, and the developers kept the old farm house at the intersection of Grandfield Lane and Long Gate Court, south of Fallowfield opposite the Via Rail station.

Stone House Court

Melville Drive

Grandfield Lane/Long Gate Court

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 4:06 AM
I am a typical

This photothread makes me want to:

But not in Barrhaven. I want to go down town.

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 5:16 AM

Are there really no bars in Barrhaven? Wow. It's not something you'd expect, based on the name.

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 10:09 AM
Closed account

The brick townhouses in 67 are actually quite interesting. It's kind of an oppressive wall of houses no, but once the trees start to mature, it may actually be a relatively pleasant streetscape for a suburb.

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 12:59 PM
Busy Beaver

Watching this video after the first one is even funnier:

Video Link

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 2:15 PM

Somebody somewhere must have had in mind; "let's bar heaven altogether". The more educated people become, the less demanding they are in terms of their environment, no matter what some would have us believe.
In the spirit of what Colonel Kurtz utters in Apocalypse Now; "The horror; the horror": I would add.: "The sameness; the sameness!"

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 2:27 AM

I mean this is Canada for Chrissakes, can we be using a little more land closer to the city, using bricks and mortar not vinyl and not be selling houses at prices people cant afford. Are we that poor or stupid? Is the country that small that we cant find areas close to city centers that wont use up farmland to put up crappy row houses with no backyard but a whopping double garage? Just saying...

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 2:49 AM

I feel bad saying it, but these newly built suburbs look even worse than their American counterparts! Who in the heck designed those things, third graders? They're so packed together too. In general that might be a good thing, but suddenly I'm thankful I have a lawn and a yard with privacy. It's like they tried to make suburbs but took the suburb part out of it. These look more like communistburbs.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 4:17 AM
sick transit, gloria

Nice pictures!

Barrhaven is an interesting place. I did an expose on the nature of that particular suburb back in '07. It's neat to see how it's development since. It's ugly sure, but as far as suburbs though it's not all that bad.

And remembering Zaphod's and the 95 - great!

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Nice pictures!

Barrhaven is an interesting place. I did an expose on the nature of that particular suburb back in '07. It's neat to see how it's development since. It's ugly sure, but as far as suburbs though it's not all that bad.
No... it is even worse than usual suburbs. The houses are too packed together, the lawns are too small, there's not enough privacy. Looks like it was designed by Communist third graders.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 4:38 AM

Hurl.

Nice pics, though.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 5:01 AM

#67 is nice though!

Nice shots nonetheless.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos