HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 3:59 AM
Philly Pholly

I'm afraid these lots all have been sitting empty for so long that "it's better than nothing" is all that can be expected
That's what we're getting.

I was hoping for something that took advantage of the location.
DCs new waterfront is shaping up nicely.
This project is introverted.

THIS
501 N Christopher Columbus Boulevard 10-16-21 f
this close to being a gated community

INSTEAD OF THIS
DC SW Navy Yard

and I believe they've addressed climate change flooding by elevating the entire waterfront.

Last edited by SEFTA; Oct 17, 2021 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:28 AM

Well Damn, we have so much prime waterfront land, but nothing is connected, organized, or really accessible when traveling between the plans. Maybe when more of the waterfront is developed the city will connect them better. Or probably not, id currently go with the 2nd option, the city Is not the best at stuff like this. Maybe when a new generation of officials are elected we can break the cycle

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I was hoping for something that took advantage of the location.
DCs new waterfront is shaping up nicely.
This project is introverted.
Other than the fact that the D.C. project is 4 to 5 stories taller I'm not seeing a huge difference. The Philly project has a large park on the south end that isn't as apparent from the the renderings. But it looks like it does quite a good job connecting with the waterfront an being pedestrian friendly. The east-west pedestrian plaza in the middle is actually a great idea, breaking up what would otherwise feel like a superblock and connecting the river to the rest of the city.

Honestly the biggest problem with this project is Delaware Ave. That street just straight up sucks. And the hard truth is that all of these projects along the river (except the Penn's Landing redo) are going to suffer until Delaware Ave. gets a massive overhaul and goes on a huge street diet. A it is now it's basically a F-ing highway.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Honestly the biggest problem with this project is Delaware Ave. That street just straight up sucks. And the hard truth is that all of these projects along the river (except the Penn's Landing redo) are going to suffer until Delaware Ave. gets a massive overhaul and goes on a huge street diet. A it is now it's basically a F-ing highway.
This is 100 percent true, Del Ave sucks, isn't there a plan to redo the streetscape? When is that supposed to start? If there is none that sucks, the street screams mass transit to me, BRT, LRT, Bike Lanes, Commercial pedestrianized corridor, there's so much potential there that's unused

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:09 PM

Quote:

That's never gonna happen.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:11 PM

Quote:

Yes, mostly. North of the helipad can easily be four lanes instead of six. And Philly drivers in particular have and will continue to treat any open road as a highway until something (red light cameras, speed cameras etc a la Roosevelt) forces them not to.

That said, Maine Ave SW isn't exactly a narrow, pedestrian-friendly street either. If anything, the DC Wharf development demonstrates how the simple fact of having street-level activity can change driver behavior. The Delaware River trail isn't even finished yet, and it's already well-used by runners and bikers in the evenings (apropos: https://billypenn.com/2021/10/18/del...mpletion-date/). And whenever Cherry St Pier or FringeArts has an event, the presence of ubers/carpoolers/parking-space-searchers forces the traffic to calm itself--at least where the activity is. All this is to say that development along Delaware Avenue in and of itself should help make it a better road.

Agree, though, it would really be nice to see a road diet.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 6:00 PM

Something something Delaware Avenue trolley

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 7:55 PM

I've stayed at the Thompson Hotel in DC's Navy Yard. It's turning out to be a cool little pocket of DC but it too is very disconnected from anything of interest in DC.

M Street (the northern boundary of the Navy Yard) is 6 lanes. There is virtually no parking within the Navy Yard itself and there is no transit, so in effect, you have to take Ubers everywhere if you want to leave the immediate area. There is very little to do in the Navy Yard itself.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:54 PM
Philly Pholly

Columbus Boulevard and Delaware Avenue corridors should be combined and form
"The DELAWARE RIVER BOULEVARD"
From Rouse Boulevard in the NAVY YARD to Aramingo Avenue in FISHTOWN!
Redesigned and pedestrianized!
Lined with a tree-lined promenade, protected bike lane and a transit line with landscaped medians, lined with gardens, water features, public plazas, public art and PUBLIC TOILETS.
Everything done in this city should be done with TOURISM in mind.
IT PAYS BACK!
and wouldn't there be money, as this should fall under the category of urban neighborhoods decimated by freeways, that Secretary Pete is talking about?

Delaware River Boulevard small

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:08 PM

I think that that money is going to go to capping I-676 more than anything.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:27 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I think that that money is going to go to capping I-676 more than anything.
That is my hope
but always hope for more
IMHO these highways crippled Philadelphia more than most other cities
this city is owed!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:41 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Other than the fact that the D.C. project is 4 to 5 stories taller I'm not seeing a huge difference. The Philly project has a large park on the south end that isn't as apparent from the the renderings. But it looks like it does quite a good job connecting with the waterfront an being pedestrian friendly. The east-west pedestrian plaza in the middle is actually a great idea, breaking up what would otherwise feel like a superblock and connecting the river to the rest of the city.

Um. It was the connection of the waterfront I was referring to.
You don't see the possible throngs of people interacting on the waterfront as opposed to a place to walk your dog as a huge difference?
I do.
That rendering is not the DC Navy Yard but nearby at SW Waterfront. I remember the Navy Yards. It was terribly isolated but the fish market was there and very popular at the time.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:15 PM

Durst teams with Philly’s The Badger Group on Penn’s Landing redevelopment

Quote:
The Durst Organization has selected the Badger Group, a Black-owned Philadelphia development firm, to join its planned redevelopment of Penn’s Landing on the Delaware River waterfront into a district of residential towers, shops, and offices.

Badger, led by president and chief executive Paul Badger, will participate in the management of construction activities, selection and supervision of contractors and subcontractors, and community engagement, Durst said in a statement ahead of the partnership’s planned announcement on Tuesday.

“We look forward to partnering with The Durst Organization on a world-class project that will help transform the Delaware River waterfront,” said Paul Badger. “As someone who has long led efforts for diversity and inclusion in the construction and development sectors in our city, a top priority will be to ensure inclusivity throughout this project.”

The family-run development group’s plan calls for 12 towers with 3.5 million square feet of homes, shops, and offices on either side of the four-acre park being planned over Interstate 95, between Chestnut and Walnut Streets.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/badger...-20220125.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 9:55 PM
Chris

Okay cool, so now what... Is there a timeline for Phase 1?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Okay cool, so now what... Is there a timeline for Phase 1?
i was thinking same thing, nothing mentioned in the article.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:04 PM

...planning phase to start 2032.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:14 PM

^^^Say Syke rn XD

Im hoping that the towers further down the river, the slanted ones? I hope those will start as they cap 95, cause then they can get some money from those selling/renting and put that into other infrastructure upgrades and costs for the cap and other towers

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
...planning phase to start 2032.
May be sooner than we think. Frankly, I’m surprised half the current projects that are under construction right now were green lighted.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 5:33 PM

I believe the goal was to at least get a building or two done before 2026, along with the park, but I am not sure how realistic that is.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:43 AM

I saw a test drill rig in the Chart House parking lot the other day anyone know the significance of that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals