HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 4:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

good gravy -- i had no idea demo was moving along that fast.

i need to get out at grand central after work and have a look.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
Quite a significant demo job right there, how long do you guys think it will take? I'm thinking at least a year...
With the pace they are moving, I think all buildings should be demolished by the end of summer. Then add another 2 years for excavation/foundation work.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 2:47 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i walked almost all the way around wednesday after work

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 9:30 PM

New Renderings & Video of One Vanderbilt, Midtown’s Future Tallest Office Tower

New Renderings & Video of One Vanderbilt, Midtown’s Future Tallest Office Tower
By Ondel Hylton
December 3, 2015
http://www.6sqft.com/new-renderings-video-of-one-vanderbilt-midtowns-future-tallest-office-tower/

Quote:
The digital production studio Visualhouse has posted on their website our first motion video look at SL Green’s 63-story office tower known as One Vanderbilt. Hailed to forever change the face of Midtown East and reinvigorate the business district, the $1 billion+, 1.6-million-square-foot tower was unanimously approved by the City Council this past summer, thus granting SL Green the green light to begin construction of the supertower immediately.

More info and images in the post here.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 10:00 PM
don't *meddle*...

Wow, it looks mighty tall on the skyline

http://www.6sqft.com/new-renderings-...-office-tower/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 10:08 PM
don't *meddle*...

Some SS I pulled from the vid:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 11:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

How something can be so tall and not soar has to be some kind of new architectural breakthrough.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 12:28 AM
Mr. Technology

We get a new design and a video?
One Vanderbuilt
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 12:47 AM

Whatever you call the era of architecture we're currently in, represented by sleek glass and sharp edges, this tower is a great example of it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 1:38 AM

Oh my goodness. This is by far my most anticipated deverlopment in NY. This is a behemoth, not just some tall pencil(not that I have a roblem with those) , but damn if this huge building doesnt look amazing. I believe that this building will be Manhattans real challenger to the Sears Tower in Chicago.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 2:13 AM

Those renderings are phenomenal.

This might rival the ESB and 1WTC in becoming the most iconic building.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 2:16 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleu1117 View Post
Oh my goodness. This is by far my most anticipated deverlopment in NY. This is a behemoth, not just some tall pencil(not that I have a roblem with those) , but damn if this huge building doesnt look amazing. I believe that this building will be Manhattans real challenger to the Sears Tower in Chicago.
I say our skyline is growing so fast, if you blink, you might miss something!!
I live too close to NYC to not care.
What absolutely impresses me about 1 Vanderbuilt is that it's the first building to compliment the iconic landmark of The Empire State Building.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 2:24 AM

Yep this building will be the icon of NY. For so long it was the ESB, an argument could be made for 1 WTC now, but when this is done it will absolutley be this.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 2:28 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hard to believe the Chrysler is even a super tall, but it is.

The 4th shot down in Hunsers set makes it look like a tiny mid rise next to this behemoth. Poor Chrysler. 1st the ESB made it look short, and now, in the early 21st Century, its really made to look short. If only William Van Alen knew. If only....

I guess in this brief rant, I would of liked to see the Chrysler be the ESB's size. It would of weathered the super tall storm a little better.

Even looking at the ESB in the first shot, its still dominant and can somewhat stand toe to toe, even compared to Vanderbilt. The spire does so much to it.

I'm eager to get a taste (via 3d motion renderings) on how the lighting for the crown will look. That crown is kickass. Almost looks like a steroid version of BOA towers crown.

Looking at it, the tower almost looks like the ESB, only somebody in photoshop had to much fun with the cropping feature (crown).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Still a little off from some angles, but I love it. Night time is the right time for this one.

Like the Tower Verre (53W53), it too has the look of a tower that has always been here, or at least should have been...

http://www.6sqft.com/new-renderings-...-office-tower/

Makes you regret even more that Nordstrom tops out the way it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
What absolutely impresses me about 1 Vanderbuilt is that it's the first building to compliment the iconic landmark of The Empire State Building.

I've always considered it to be inspired from the Empire State...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleu1117 View Post
Oh my goodness. This is by far my most anticipated deverlopment in NY. This is a behemoth, not just some tall pencil(not that I have a roblem with those) ,
but damn if this huge building doesnt look amazing. I believe that this building will be Manhattans real challenger to the Sears Tower in Chicago.
Don't be fooled by the renders though. There are lots of towers not present (30 Hudson, Nordstrom, 111 W. 57th, etc). That's just the thing, there is a whole new batch all grasping for the title
of New York's next top iconic building.
This one has an advantage of not having neighbors nearly as tall - at least for now. We'll see what else the midtown east rezoning has in store.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:53 AM
Mr. Technology

If you're going to put a spire on top, make it work!!

THAT is precisely what 1 Vanderbuilt achieves.

It's iconic in that it's between the Empire State and Chrysler buildings, both of which have perfect spires.

This is what happens when the design was engineered to perfection and it shows!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:32 AM
New Yorker for life

To all the future newcomers in town, a message from the Freedom Tower...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 1:50 PM

And to think something of similar height could rise just next door...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
And to think something of similar height could rise just next door...
I hope not, but I don't think it will. Maybe in the 1,000 ft range, but not quite as high as this one. While the closest towers will all be about the same size, this one was specifically designed with a huge skyline element because that's what the developer, SL Green specifically wanted - a skyline icon. It's a very tall tower, but not "large" by NYC standards. It's considerably "smaller" than it's sister building BofA. But other factors which will push the new office towers in midtown east high are the small lot sizes (even with the rezoning, the footprints will be smaller than other areas like Hudson Yards or even the WTC), and higher ceilings.

Anyway, I really don't want a "signature" type skyscraper rising next door to this one.

Sites already approved with the early rezoning for the largest density. This will be midtown east's "WTC".

Then there's the matter of 520 5th Avenue, a smaller tower that would contribute nicely with a spire (not likely)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 5:43 PM

I'm surprised there haven't been more announcements on the parcels to the north of this site. There seems to be a great deal of pent up demand for new class A office space; beneficially re-zoned parcels right next to GCT have got to be in high demand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive