HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:15 PM

Good bricklayers are expensive and in huge demand. There aren't a lot of qualified masons right now. Plus pastiche is gross. The city has explicitly stated they aren't interested in reproductions of facades or recreations of historic features. City staff would rather see new additions reflect modern construction techniques and materials, which I kind of agree with.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:41 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Good bricklayers are expensive and in huge demand. There aren't a lot of qualified masons right now. Plus pastiche is gross. The city has explicitly stated they aren't interested in reproductions of facades or recreations of historic features. City staff would rather see new additions reflect modern construction techniques and materials, which I kind of agree with.
Oh really. So the whole "Let's save Gore Park buildings, they're pre-Confederate for crissakes" bowling alleys was made up? And that this garden shed is exactly what the City is looking for?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:50 PM

Not necessarily. In the case of the Kresge building, Liuna proposed recreating the facade with new materials because they weren't able to retain it during construction (something about it being structurally impossible to dismantle & rebuild it) and the city said they would rather see it restored in situ or for a new podium to be created instead.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:22 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Who's this fucking City? tell them to fuck off, I'll build what I want, on my land. How about that?

Last edited by realcity; Mar 8, 2018 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 12:59 PM

Kathy Renwald: Gore Park Lofts expected to rise within months
Sales at 121 and 125 King East started about four months ago. With little fanfare, half of the 40 units have sold.

Tyler Ross tuned into Hamilton's buzz about six years ago. When he saw the migration of Torontonians here, the city's growth, and low unemployment rate, he started looking for property.

As the owner of Scholar Properties, Ross develops multi-unit residential buildings. When he and company VP Jessica Caplan saw a century-old building at 121 King St. E. for sale in a prime location near Gore Park, they bought the "diamond in the rough" for $775,000.

"It's close to transportation, the park, restaurants, it's a primo location," Ross says over a coffee just across the street from his company's new project, Gore Park Lofts (goreparklofts.ca).

Sales started about four months ago. With little fanfare, half of the 40 units have sold. This week he applied for a building permit. Work on the building should start within two months.

The concept of Gore Park Lofts solidified when Ross forged a partnership with Effort Group, a division of Effort Trust. They own 125 King St. E., the building next door.

"It started with a meeting to say, 'Hey, we're your new neighbour,'" Ross says.

As an outsider to the city, Ross was attracted to Effort Trust's reputation, vision and involvement in Hamilton. And blending the two skinny Victorian buildings into one condo project made more sense for design and construction work.

For David Horwood, Effort Group's vice-president, the Scholar Group was the partner he'd been waiting for.

"There are so many things we like about this project: helping bring renovated residential living to the downtown core, restoring and rebuilding a great old building with irreplaceable details, and creating a number of prime retail spaces at streetfront to suit the requirements of stores, restaurants and offices wanting to be along LRT in the heart of Hamilton. We've done our homework, found a great partner and are working with best-in-class architects and contractors from Hamilton. It's very exciting."

"This isn't just another condo box," Ross says. "These are character buildings, with soaring ceilings and exposed brick, and the kind of charm that can't be reproduced."

Ross hired Thier + Curran Architects Inc. to design the adaptive reuse of the four-storey buildings. Two new floors added to the top will be the sleek, contemporary condos some buyers prefer, while lower floors will showcase original elements such as brick walls, pillars and exposed ductwork — the classic "loft look." Some units will be multi-level, with a choice of finishes from "budget to opulent."

The 40 units range from about 500 to 900 square feet, with prices from $300,000 to $470,000.

When Ross and Caplan first toured 121 King St. E., they discovered the typical signs of neglect. Floors two through four had been empty for years, with leaky roof damage inside. At ground level, retail uses came and went. The building, in the late 1800s, had been a showroom for stoves made by a nearby manufacturer.

In the building next door at the corner of King and Catharine, Effort Trust managed "under occupied" apartments, according to Ross.

When sales started, Ross and Caplan thought the small units would be snapped up by young professionals and mature students. Instead, the biggest condos sold first — mostly to speculators.

"There's a climate today that wasn't around a year ago where there's a lot of publicity around cancelled projects," Ross says.

Stalled and cancelled projects, he says, have made prospective buyers wary. "That will change when we start to build."

The Gore Park Lofts have already cleared major municipal hurdles, including site plan approval and committee of adjustment for variances to permit offsite parking. When the building permit is issued, construction should take two years maximum, according to Ross, with a move-in target date of June 2021.

"But I hope it will be sooner than that. This is a great project, the location is at centre ice, in buildings with real Hamilton history."

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 1:03 PM

^^^

It is good to see some empty upper floors above Gore Park storefronts actually being put back to use like the space above the old drug store at 121 here or the space above the Salvation army or the space that is getting renovated at the Northwest corner of John and King. How much square feet has been wasted over the years? The sad thing is that even ten years ago you could have got OK residential rent per square meter for those spaces, but it seems now is it finally moving.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 1:43 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
^^^

It is good to see some empty upper floors above Gore Park storefronts actually being put back to use like the space above the old drug store at 121 here or the space above the Salvation army or the space that is getting renovated at the Northwest corner of John and King. How much square feet has been wasted over the years? The sad thing is that even ten years ago you could have got OK residential rent per square meter for those spaces, but it seems now is it finally moving.
Maybe if we get enough people back in the gore living in the upper floors people can start putting flags back on the outside and having ticker tape parades like you used to see back in the old days

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 2:57 PM

I'm confused by the article. I work directly across from their site and there's no information regarding sales? It only says, "Coming Soon".

There 150% isn't a sales centre in operation at the address given in that article. Contractors have come by periodically to do some work there, but they are 150% not open.

This article doesn't make sense. I'm wondering if they're selling from a different location? That's the only explanation.

Someone might also want to change the thread title to "Gore Park Lofts".

Last edited by hamilton23; May 10, 2019 at 9:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:07 PM

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 5:11 AM
Hamilton Historian

That building has such beautiful brick architecture - I wish more people would incorporate patterning into new builds as opposed to generic concrete lego brick panels.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 8:24 PM

Taken this aft:

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 11:51 PM

^Nice!

The two or three buildings beside this one (facing onto King) are also fabulous candidates for redevelopment. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 12:09 AM
Hamilton Historian

Lol well at least the shipping crate finish facade colour is the same as the one beside it - or close enough anyways (I think the one to the right might be grey, it's just the light and shadow that makes it look bluish)

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 5:46 PM

9/30/2020 by Joe, on Flickr

9/30/2020 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 5:41 PM
Hamilton Historian

It should be interesting to see how the left side of this development looks now that they've uncovered the facade under the signs in front:

Also this development has been changed - it is no longer called Red Brick Lofts - this development Is Now Called "Gore Park Lofts".

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 1:07 AM

Yay! How about the details above the 2nd storey windows - any evidence of that?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 2:45 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Yay! How about the details above the 2nd storey windows - any evidence of that?
Sadly every pic I've found the damn tree is in the way lol..

*edit* I am glad the pediments survived underneath!

I am curious what they use to secure the cornice (and the pediments) to the brick though.. also are those pediments rusting next door? Hard to know if its paint or rust as the ones farther left are creme coloured.

Last edited by Chronamut; Oct 5, 2020 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 8:10 PM

Found this image showing the third floor window details:

12/06/2019 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 9:34 PM
Hamilton Historian

Oh excellent, so the pediments DID survive! Which means that the one to the left was painted that brown colour..

If it was up to me id treat all 3 columns the same and make it all uniform looking..

sucks that they ripped off the cornice though.. itd be sad if they just added a generic bar cornice in its place.. it really would break up the harmony of the 2 beside it.. the cornice in the render just looks like a straight black bar but we have been fooled before by cornice renders in images...

Also hope they sodablast the brick - I am curious as to its original colour - is it yellow brick like the one to the left? In parts where it's chipping it does look yellow underneath..

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Oh excellent, so the pediments DID survive! Which means that the one to the left was painted that brown colour..

If it was up to me id treat all 3 columns the same and make it all uniform looking..

sucks that they ripped off the cornice though.. itd be sad if they just added a generic bar cornice in its place.. it really would break up the harmony of the 2 beside it.. the cornice in the render just looks like a straight black bar but we have been fooled before by cornice renders in images...

Also hope they sodablast the brick - I am curious as to its original colour - is it yellow brick like the one to the left? In parts where it's chipping it does look yellow underneath..
I'm hoping its yellow. Very few in the Hammer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton