HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 7:29 PM

That strip of King between Caroline and Queen (north side) is quite nice.
Unfortunate that King is one-way.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I don't typically see any here and walk by daily. There's sometimes one on Bay but most hang out on the north side of King by Gore park.

Plus most downtowns have panhandlers. If anything panhandlers are more common downtown than drivethrus in most cities.
You're joking? There is a constant crowd of them that gather at King and Bay and drink beers all day long. They are always standing in the middle of the road at Bay right in front of the future new Mac residence asking for change.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
You're joking? There is a constant crowd of them that gather at King and Bay and drink beers all day long. They are always standing in the middle of the road at Bay right in front of the future new Mac residence asking for change.
King and Bay sometimes. I just walked past on my daily afternoon break walk and there was only one person at Bay St on the southwest corner.

There's never anyone at Caroline and King. I walk by 2 - 3 times per day. At least not that I've see. Sometimes there's people hanging around in the A&W patio area but they've never asked me for change. *Shrug*

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 8:25 PM

Quote:
King and Bay sometimes. I just walked past on my daily afternoon break walk and there was only one person at Bay St on the southwest corner.

There's never anyone at Caroline and King. I walk by 2 - 3 times per day. At least not that I've see. Sometimes there's people hanging around in the A&W patio area but they've never asked me for change. *Shrug*
The Bay/King booze crew come out when the weather warms up.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 9:30 PM

Quote:
The Bay/King booze crew come out when the weather warms up.
It's never been a big notice to me unless you walk right past then. This development is also at Caroline and King which is an entire block west of there. I figure that group will find a new hangout space once that parking lot is redeveloped or when LRT is under construction.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 10:05 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
There is a constant crowd of them that gather at King and Bay and drink beers all day long. They are always standing in the middle of the road at Bay right in front of the future new Mac residence asking for change.
I've seen what looks like a "day camp" on the southeast corner, under the trees along the King side, but mostly in warmer weather. The people seem harmless though.

Can't escape having homeless/shelter-homed in a city this size. Especially when surrounding places don't have enough services to help them.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I've seen what looks like a "day camp" on the southeast corner, under the trees along the King side, but mostly in warmer weather. The people seem harmless though.

Can't escape having homeless/shelter-homed in a city this size. Especially when surrounding places don't have enough services to help them.
They're all generally friendly. I've chatted with a few of them. My favourite is Joe. Good guy.

I can't believe we have like 150 homeless people in this city that were living in camps. Like Jesus Christ just give the 150 tiny homes and call it a day. They'd be off the streets, and less likely to bother people and steal. We're too busy judging mental health issues in the camps instead of realizing that house 150 people will solve the street living and camp issue in the city.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 3:15 PM
Hammer'd

If you regard them as humans and not "the booze crew" they're actually quite friendly considering what they're going through.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
If you regard them as humans and not "the booze crew" they're actually quite friendly considering what they're going through.
Majority of the street living homeless I've had good interactions with. Some have serious mental health issues to the degree that they can't be successfully interacted with, but the group that hangs out are doing so because they're friendly and social.

I've never seen it in Hamilton, but that group that goes around chatting with homeless down in the states somewhere really humanizes them from these caracature of "homeless" and into people: YouTube Channel - Invisible People

This one was pretty nuts to me: https://youtu.be/nT3VGI0V5Rs

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 5:47 PM

I'm sure they're nice people. But I don't support drinking and getting drunk in public though.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:53 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
I'm sure they're nice people. But I don't support drinking and getting drunk in public though.
Definitely avoid Hess Village then.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Ouuu oops. I drink often in public no harm in my mind. I'd rather see people drinking than doing heroin tbh. As long as litter is thrown out, which many are also decent at. Others not so much.

To be honest the illegality of drinking in public is a bit silly and paternalistic in my mind. That's really only a North American thing (and Australia in some places). I'm a fan of the relaxed drinking laws put in place by the Ontario government. Drinking on a patio now feels a lot more natural and less weird like I'm in a drinking cage. There's already public intoxication charges for beligerent people.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Ouuu oops. I drink often in public no harm in my mind. I'd rather see people drinking than doing heroin tbh. As long as litter is thrown out, which many are also decent at. Others not so much.

To be honest the illegality of drinking in public is a bit silly and paternalistic in my mind. That's really only a North American thing (and Australia in some places). I'm a fan of the relaxed drinking laws put in place by the Ontario government. Drinking on a patio now feels a lot more natural and less weird like I'm in a drinking cage. There's already public intoxication charges for beligerent people.
I totally agree. I also think responsible alcohol consumption outside is totally acceptable. Of course I've done it too. I used to live in Toronto and i'd spent most summer weekends hanging out at Bellwoods or High Park with friends enjoying a few beers. Nothing wrong with that.

But I mean, young people having a few drinks at Bellwoods is quite a bit different than a bunch of homeless people drinking hard liquor until they're completely wasted at a street corner then wandering into traffic asking for change But whatever you're into

In my opinion allowing that type of behavior is actually quite damaging to the homeless people themselves. I wish social services/ by law would go in there and prevent them from doing it with the ultimate goal of trying to help them with their mental issues and drug addictions. But I suppose some people think it's more humane to let them do whatever they like

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; Jan 5, 2022 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 10:40 PM

Looks like the evil twin of the berczy https://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/berczy

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 2:57 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimetoomany View Post
Looks like the evil twin of the berczy https://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/berczy
I don't see that. Maybe vaguely at best.

Quote:
vs.

It does have one thing the Toronto condo does not... an original old building incorporated as the podium.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 3:52 AM
Forever forward.

I think there's a greater resemblance to the King+ Condos at King and Sherbourne in Toronto... at least as far as massing and concept is concerned:

render source

Keep in mind, though, that the building on site is not being preserved - it's instead going to be imitated by the new structure. I believe it turned out not to be in good enough structural condition to maintain. Unfortunately, when that was determined, the City decided it needed to enforce a requirement for a daylight triangle for a street you can't even make a right turn on to...

Overall, it does look like a nice little design, though I'd like the mullions to be lined up. A mish mash of mullions starting and beginning all over the place doesn't tend to turn out well. Also, it's actually a really dense project - back of the napkin math gives an excess of 11 FSR... you love to see it!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 4:48 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlanholmes View Post
Keep in mind, though, that the building on site is not being preserved - it's instead going to be imitated by the new structure. I believe it turned out not to be in good enough structural condition to maintain. Unfortunately, when that was determined, the City decided it needed to enforce a requirement for a daylight triangle for a street you can't even make a right turn on to...
My mistake -- I thought it was being preserved (at least the shell anyway)

I guess the bonus of these angled corners is more sidewalk space. Perhaps in some instances it could be used as a little patio for a restaurant or bar or coffee shop.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:05 PM

From eyesore to sexy: ‘Radio Arts’ latest Hamilton downtown revival project

Interesting, the article states that construction will likely start in the next three to four months.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:11 PM

good to see marketing names taking roots in the actual history of the site.

2 years to completion is ambitious.. but hopefully construction can start soon.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
good to see marketing names taking roots in the actual history of the site.

2 years to completion is ambitious.. but hopefully construction can start soon.
Seems they're marketing it like 1 Jarvis which means they plan to sell quick and get started. Right now I see them wanting to sell before interest rates go up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton