HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 9:36 PM
Ham-burgher

If the plan is to take down the coke batteries in the near future too, that will be almost half of the whole "peninsula" that's open to new uses (with some serious environmental/cleanup issues depending on the kind of development... but still, that's huge)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 3:51 PM

a reminder of what Stelco is going to be redeveloping..

I believe they intend to redevelop 3 and 5 as well, just not immediately. Particularly since they just demolished the blast furnace on 5, and are demolishing the coke ovens on 5 as we saw on the last page..

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 3:57 PM

speaking of the devil.. A zoning by-law amendment application has now been filed for the stelco lands:

Quote:
ZAR-22-009

386 WILCOX ST

To add amend the zoning on the subject lands to add a holding provision that will establish specific conditions that the Owner is be required to satisfy before development may occur on the subject lands.
Looks like they are slowly moving towards redevelopment, I imagine it's a fair bit more complex then a typical greenfield industrial development.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 2:14 AM
Ham-burgher

I was on the Skyway and Tesla Blvd. this afternoon and stole a few glances toward the harbour... the blast furnace building looks like it's gone, or at least reduced to a point it's out of sight from far away.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 4:07 PM
It's Hammer Time

‘Immense opportunity:’ Hamilton closer to redevelopment of unused Stelco land

https://www.insauga.com/immense-oppo...uQ2bQf4k8CC0Jc

Stelco Holdings Inc. has applied to the City of Hamilton to have a holding provision placed on nearly 800 acres of surplus land at 386 Wilcox St. to allow further study. It would open the door for the sale of land and redevelopment opportunities that would lead to many jobs and an overall economic boon for the city.

“It is a large piece of land with immense opportunity, which is why the provision in this process is so important,” Anita Fabac, the city’s development planning manager, said during Tuesday’s (Apr. 5) planning committee meeting. “It’s to make sure that from both Stelco’s perspective and from the City’s perspective we have an opportunity to look at this in detail, in terms of land uses, servicing requirements, transportation and rail needs and how the lands would be phased.”

“The key is to ensure that the concept plan and those required studies are submitted and approved to the city’s satisfaction prior to any sort of larger-scale redevelopment,” Fabac added.

The Stelco property at Hamilton Harbour being discussed is no longer in use by the steel company. Its rail and water accessibility and its proximately to major economic hubs make the land very desirable to prospective companies and industries looking to move or expand.

“This is a major – and I can’t overstate that enough – a major opportunity for the City of Hamilton and taxpayers to see this industrial land used in a different way than we’ve seen in the past,” said Ward 8 Councillor John-Paul Danko.

Stelco has expressed an interest in sectoring the land into several different lots over the last few years. Early estimates revealed the move could generate more than $12 million in additional annual tax revenue.

Hamilton City Council will have to approve the rezoning of the property so it can be brought up to city standards before any potential sale.

“Over 100 years of industrial use… the land has been kind of developed on an ad hoc process with a rail network, road network, water, wastewater servicing… bringing that into city standards is no small task,” said Danko. “Trying to even figure out what is in the ground… there is quite a significant undertaking”

“So, I really appreciate this coming forward and I appreciate all of the staff’s very hard work on this file,” he added. “It is very good news for our city.”

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 7:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

From my Facebook feed, who is a union member of Stelco...

Quote:
According to this Spectator article by Teviah Moro published last week - the Hamilton Stelco surplus lands have ALREADY BEEN SOLD to Slate Asset Management - a global investment company. The deal will close before year-end. Curiously, this "major development" never made it to the front page of the Spec https://www.thestar.com/ths/news/ham...tGX8GIUKq2I6HU

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 6:07 PM

Well that's interesting. A purchase by Slate isn't exactly the worst outcome.

They're still doing Corktown Plaza or did they sell that?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 8:19 PM

they still own Corktown Plaza and plan to start construction soon from my understanding. They were recently at the CoA for some variances for the project.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 10:16 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
From my Facebook feed, who is a union member of Stelco...
I could swear I read that on the Spec site. Not sure if it was in print though.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 2:07 PM

Slate's purchase is official:

https://financialpost.com/pmn/press-...rom-stelco-inc

Interestingly, they purchased the whole site and leased back a small portion of it to Stelco on a 75 year lease. My understanding was always that Stelco had planned to retain ownership of their site, so that's interesting.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 2:35 PM
I am the law!

"World class industrial park" .. yeah, why not.

public access to the sea wall and a helluva lot more jobs than the plant supported in a long time if ever (even if it's likely quantity than quality) is definitely exciting. I hope they take the opportunity to create incubators among the usually distribution centres

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 2:56 PM

I recall seeing somewhere that Slate was going to be trying for a greater diversity of tenants than just traditional distribution tenants, though I'm sure warehouses will be mixed in as those uses just print money for landlords right now.

It'll probably result in a mix of port-reliant industrial users, new public spaces along the lake, and warehousing uses.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 6:57 PM

Crazy luck today - from the Bay Observer (on phone twitter link) , but their website on desktop does not have article (although the picture and heading is there)

Last edited by King&James; Jun 1, 2022 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 7:20 PM

Do I spot a container port?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 7:47 PM

Here is another link to same story on RENX

https://renx.ca/slate-plans-up-to-12...n-stelco-land/

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 8:00 PM

Nice to see Slate's vision for this space includes remediating 3.4KM of waterfront. Between this and their Corktown plaza project, it's nice to see a larger player helping in Hamilton's revitalization. Hopefully things like this and the arena project will start attracting some more eyeballs to the city and entice more reputable builds in the next phase of Hamilton's growth.

Definitely a nice book end to the MIP (if that ever really happens) on the west end of the city.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 12:54 PM

When I drive down Nicola Tesla Blvd, the air quality over this entire area almost always looks terrible. I hope this changes as Arcelor goes green.
Plus the dust is relentless. So many unpaved areas that allows for dirt to be tracked and blown by the wind. My car was sand blasted on Tuesday as I sat to turn onto Parkdale. Ottawa street between Burlington St and the CN line is often a cloud of dust. Kenilworth Ave where trucks track dirt from a gravel parking lot.
I don't drive Burlington St when it rains because my car has black, dirty crap on it afterwards.
It's nice to see the redevelopment and the jobs that will be created, but will the air quality improve?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 1:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

Dofasco will phase out coal-fired steel making and eventually go all-electric, significantly improving air quality.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
When I drive down Nicola Tesla Blvd, the air quality over this entire area almost always looks terrible. I hope this changes as Arcelor goes green.
Plus the dust is relentless. So many unpaved areas that allows for dirt to be tracked and blown by the wind. My car was sand blasted on Tuesday as I sat to turn onto Parkdale. Ottawa street between Burlington St and the CN line is often a cloud of dust. Kenilworth Ave where trucks track dirt from a gravel parking lot.
I don't drive Burlington St when it rains because my car has black, dirty crap on it afterwards.
It's nice to see the redevelopment and the jobs that will be created, but will the air quality improve?
Considering Dofasco is going electric and This redevelopment will result in a lot of unpaved areas being landscaped and paved, I suspect so.

I imagine a lot of the dust comes from the salvaging operations in the area however, which aren't going anywhere. AIM Recycling is terrible for air quality.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 10:51 PM
Ham-burgher

Dust and grime should be a lot less prevalent for sure. Some industry that generates particulates will remain (the carbon plant, grain handlers, AIM, etc) but having this huge swath of land repurposed will make a huge difference.

Eliminating the coal piles of Stelco alone should change a lot. Coke-making is a dirty business.

It will be interesting to see what kinds of companies want to locate here. Freight handlers for sure, maybe more agriculture-based businesses and other sectors that rely on marine shipments, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a real mix.

If this just turns out to be a warehouse farm it would be a wasted opportunity ("world class" though it may be ). I don't see that happening though -- the port authority has done a pretty good job of attracting a variety of industries to the lands it did have available, and I would think they will be a major player working with Slate on what's got to be one of the largest industrial redevelopments in the Great Lakes region, perhaps North America.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy