HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
Any news about what will happen now that the tunnel under the Mont Royal can't be used by VIA because of the REM ?
It is uncertain at this point, but this article in the Montreal Gazette says:
Quote:
The Mascouche line has also been unable to use the Mount Royal Tunnel for more than a year, and it won’t be able to after the REM is in service. Exo is in discussions with VIA Rail to explore the possibility of building an alternate route downtown.
What that alternate route would be is up for speculation.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
It is uncertain at this point, but this article in the Montreal Gazette says:
What that alternate route would be is up for speculation.
The Mascouche commuter train does go around the Mont Royal right now, but it's a 30 minutes detour and many people prefer to transfer to the orange line to get downtown.

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/g...e-banlieue.php

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
The Mascouche commuter train does go around the Mont Royal right now, but it's a 30 minutes detour and many people prefer to transfer to the orange line to get downtown.

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/g...e-banlieue.php
Also, the Saint-Jérôme line (which AFAIK has never used the tunnel) could also potentially benefit from a better route downtown.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 4:13 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but due to the train crash in Prescott, Via Rail train #62 from Toronto to Montreal is detouring through Ottawa. Looks like it was waiting in Brockville for a while prior to this.

Tracking link: https://tsimobile.viarail.ca/#62

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 4:20 AM

The renovated lounge is open - really like the simple, modern look. It ties very well with the '60s International Style of the station overall. Much much larger overall than before, and especially feels so now that there's natural light.

Same amenities as the old one, minus the newspapers and magazines (because COVID), and the cute little business centre with the vintage desktop and printer. I thought there was going to be a by-the-glass wine station, but all they have were the usual coffee and soft drinks.

Separate meeting space in the back, with its own kitchenette and projection screen:

And a handful of meeting rooms:

Great place to relax or get some work done! Seems like a spot one could host a nice event too.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 5:40 PM

Looks like they might have direct platform access through the back. That would be useful if they pull it off.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 11:11 PM

I took a train today. I was unimpressed with the lack of COVID measures. No vaccine check, no temperature check, they booked strangers on both sides of the 4 person tables.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I took a train today. I was unimpressed with the lack of COVID measures. No vaccine check, no temperature check, they booked strangers on both sides of the 4 person tables.
That sounds terrible. VIA has a whole bunch of service and security issues they need to improve on.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
That sounds terrible. VIA has a whole bunch of service and security issues they need to improve on.
Yes, by all means let's make train travel MORE like flying, as if VIA wasn't already bad enough on that measure

I can't believe how absolutely cucked this country is. You have people that literally want the Gestapo everywhere checking people's papers. I'm fucking done with this country. I think I'll move to Texas with the other freedom lovers

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 8:07 PM

Quote:
By all means lets make sure people are safe on the public health side of the house. But fucking airport-like security? No no no no and 10 billion times no! There has been zero terrorist like attacks of transportation infrastructure in Canada and the last thing we need is more dumb ass useless pat downs, scanners, x-ray machines, and god awful lines-ups!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Is this anything different from flying? No! I recently took a flight to Vancouver and back and there was none of this either. If you are double vaxed, it shouldn't be that big a concern.

If we impose all sorts of additional requirements in addition all the existing security, our travel industry will never recover.

I fully understand the fear that COVID has created for many people. I had to work with others and customers face to face throughout the pandemic so I was able to avoid most of the paranoia that the media, politicians and public health was encouraging.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
By all means lets make sure people are safe on the public health side of the house. But fucking airport-like security? No no no no and 10 billion times no! There has been zero terrorist like attacks of transportation infrastructure in Canada and the last thing we need is more dumb ass useless pat downs, scanners, x-ray machines, and god awful lines-ups!
Soon, we will be expected to be at the airport 3 hours before departure. As if being in line-ups for extended periods of time is a good anti-Covid measure.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppa View Post
I think I'll move to Texas with the other freedom lovers
By all means move to the land of the slaves. No one is forcing you to stay here.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Is this anything different from flying? No! I recently took a flight to Vancouver and back and there was none of this either. If you are double vaxed, it shouldn't be that big a concern.

If we impose all sorts of additional requirements in addition all the existing security, our travel industry will never recover.

I fully understand the fear that COVID has created for many people. I had to work with others and customers face to face throughout the pandemic so I was able to avoid most of the paranoia that the media, politicians and public health was encouraging.
On a flight you don’t sit face-to-face. A plane also has ventilation and hepa filters.

It seems pretty ridiculous to me that I can’t sit 10 minutes in Starbucks without being vaccinated, but a multihour train ride, that’s fine.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 1:17 PM

Quote:
I've been on HSR that had baggage scan and metal detector walkthrough in Spain. At Antequera-Santa Ana it was at the entrance of the station. But this is a station off the freeway. At Cordoba, it was to get on to the platform. In both cases, took just a minute or two and there was no requirement to show up 30 mins early. In fact, platform access was only 20-30 mins before the train and boarding closed 2 mins before departure.

Spain, of course, has a history with terrorism. Not saying that VIA needs to go that far. But presumably stations and operations should be designed to ramp up and down security as needed. Including, for example, with temp and vaccination document checks in this case.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Spain, of course, has a history with terrorism. Not saying that VIA needs to go that far. But presumably stations and operations should be designed to ramp up and down security as needed. Including, for example, with temp and vaccination document checks in this case.
The powers that be will never ramp down security. Too much money involved keeping craziness in place.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 3:25 PM

Quote:
The powers that be will never ramp down security. Too much money involved keeping craziness in place.
VIA's ridiculous boarding system is probably as resource intensive (or worse) today, than what I experienced in Spain. Yet, somehow, it's less secure and slower. I literally traveled at rush hour from Cordoba and got through platform security in two minutes after walking down to the platform 10 mins before departure. Here in Ottawa, you get to wait in a giant lineup 10 mins before departure.

If we're going to have all those folks lining people up just for multiple ticket checks, surely they can do a Vax doc check at the same time.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
VIA's ridiculous boarding system is probably as resource intensive (or worse) today, than what I experienced in Spain. Yet, somehow, it's less secure and slower. I literally traveled at rush hour from Cordoba and got through platform security in two minutes after walking down to the platform 10 mins before departure. Here in Ottawa, you get to wait in a giant lineup 10 mins before departure.

If we're going to have all those folks lining people up just for multiple ticket checks, surely they can do a Vax doc check at the same time.
I have that issue at Union in Toronto, but Fallowfield is very easy to get on the train.

I think we can both agree that our trains do not need airport like security. I would argue that in Canada our airports don't need airport like security.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 6:34 PM

Let's remember that if HFR is implemented, Ottawa will not be a terminal station for most trains. Boarding processes need to be ultra-efficient to not delay trains going to and from Montreal.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Let's remember that if HFR is implemented, Ottawa will not be a terminal station for most trains. Boarding processes need to be ultra-efficient to not delay trains going to and from Montreal.
I'd like platform gates. Let me scan my ticket or tap my phone and proceed to the platform.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation