HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarBreStr18 View Post
Those who has done walk thru, would you kindly post some pics of lobby?
Just curious what T2 lobby looks like compare to T1.
I've git mine on March 5. If I can teach my dumbass how to properly post to this forum I'll def post a bunch!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangeray View Post
I've git mine on March 5. If I can teach my dumbass how to properly post to this forum I'll def post a bunch!
thank u a very much for trying

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 9:29 PM

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share our first walkthrough on T2. We have a C2 accessibility unit (874 sq ft; 2 bedroom 2 bath) because we are on the lower floors (10 and lower).

Here's the album with description: https://imgur.com/a/b4rA94S

Pros from our first walk-through:
- No major defects that we notice; SHAPE team gave us a list of things they already inspected for us
- Our guide will show main features of your unit (gas stove, oven, gas shutoff, kitchen sink and dishwasher shutoff, washer water shutoff, main water shutoff, electrical panel, etc...)
- Quality of construction looked exactly like the demo units (kitchen, appliances, dining table, Boche appliances, microwave is Panasonic), only found some minor issues that are hardly noticeable or can be fixed (small patch of uneven drywall; low-voltage lighting wires dangling under sink in the ensuite)
- No carpet floors (we thought there would be in bedrooms)
- Kitchen cabinets are very spacious, with 3 pullout drawers on top of each other on the kitchen island
- Ensuite bathroom is bigger (accessibility) but at cost of a smaller walk-in closet
- Good sized balcony (we were expecting smaller depth of space)
- Automatic button to exit for our front-door (accessibility)
- There is a SHAPE app which will show all sorts of features of your home (ie. warranty information & registration for appliances, strata related info); doesn't seem like you can register for it yet until possession date

Cons (disclaimer: most of these are our subjective thoughts and are mostly minor...):
- Not our SHAPE guide's fault, but for the minor issues we brought up, it felt like we were brushed off. She kept saying along the lines of, "we will need to review it first to see if it does not meets our quality standards before it can be brought to the developer's attention"
- Couldn't step out on to balcony because it's still considered an active construction
- Part of our hallway space not exactly as depicted on the floor plan; hallway space from the nook leading to the kitchen is not as wide because of the huge cabinets; and the hallway space in front of the second bedroom is "shorter" (or the bedroom door is bigger than depicted; hard to explain without images)
- En-suite bathroom is not a sliding door as depicted on the floor plan
- Giant concrete pillar (I measured about 31" diameter) making us rethink our layout for living room setup. We're considering using a TV pillar mount which wraps around the pillar to allow for a much wanted small couch with (modular) sectional
- Built in dining table is tiny (approx. 30" x 43"); need to reconsider getting smaller dinning chairs
- Space for bar stools on the kitchen island is much smaller than it looks; if someone were seated on bar stools, that walkway space would be blocked or you would really have to squeeze through
- (major issue) Walk-in closet of master bedroom is laughable (24 inches wide x 47 inches deep) even though we knew it would be small; but seeing it in person makes us think it is borderline unusable space because of the small width; walking in, my shoulders nearly touch the side walls. This is making us rethink that we need to buy a separate wardrobe and place within the limited bedroom space and consider the walk-in closet as some other storage space.

Other notes/thoughts:
- Didn't get to see the lobby as it's still under active construction; we accessed our unit from the elevators at P2 (same level as Sporting Life entrance); in the future, this access would also be the most covered way from rain/snow to get to the Skytrain
- Our SHAPE guide told us that there are "metal sheets" behind the drywall; I think she meant metal beams/studs (I might of heard wrong)? She told us if we want to mount anything to the wall (like a heavy picture frame or TV wall mount), they must be professionally installed
- 2nd bathroom has 2 doors. 1st door swings open to the hallway, 2nd door is a sliding door to the 2nd bedroom
- (idea) It would be cool if our automatic door can be "smart home" converted to be opened remotely to take advantage of your accessible unit
- Window blinds cannot be removed because of strata consistency rules; the pull chains are held down looped on the bottom of the window sill; blinds are 3% light pass-through and the ones in bedroom are 1% light pass-through
- Start looking for a mortgage approval after your walk-through, as it will be close to completion
- The walk-through only lasts 1h30min and that timer starts when you check-in at the presentation centre; so plan ahead on what you want to inspect and take pictures of. At a minimum, I recommend you designate 1 person to measure what you need (for furnishings) and 1 person to inspect functional features (outlets, drawers, toilets, doors, hot water, etc...). The SHAPE guide will also spend about 15-30mins of that time going through in detail of the main features of your home (water/gas valves, electrical panel, appliances, etc...). The first time you go through your walk-through, you'll easily eat up your time by just looking/awing/imagining how you would work your space. We had 3 people (me, wife and a friend) to inspect and it felt like we didn't inspect everything we wanted or take those extra pictures that we needed (ie. didn't take a picture of the inside of the fridge).

Overall, we had a lot of things that we were unimpressed, but it's not the end of the world. We will eventually make the space work. Just hard to rethink how we make use of the limited space than expected.

Hope this is helpful to all of you and your first expectations.

If anyone has ideas on how to rework our walk-in closet space (24" wide x 47" deep) to something more functional, please share. It's giving us a headache to consider getting a separate wardrobe.

2020-02-24 edit: added some additional notes

Last edited by kehbon; Feb 25, 2020 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Grammar, additional minor pros, added additional notes, formatting

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 12:27 AM

Wow, Kehbon, thanks for the thorough review and pics!

It’s upsetting about the shower doors though. In the drawings it seems like it would be glass so that really sucks. I hope it’s not a way for them to save money because T1 has glassdoors in the ensuites.

My thoughts for that walk in is possibly putting up almost like a curtain rod (obviously more study) going lengthy wise and hanging your clothes on each side. It may be too narrow with both sides though. I agree that it’s so small it’s comical

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 1:03 AM

Great shots.
Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 2:20 AM

Kehbon, those are gorgeous shots! I love the wallpaper in the hallway floor.

I'm T3 owner, 40th+ floor facing North, 1 bed. Really wishing I bought T2 instead so I can move in already...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 9:02 AM

Awesome review kehbon!

That pillar is much larger than I expected it would be but i think its workable...
The walk in I think will be your toughest challenge. It's almost better if the wall wasnt there and it somehow combined into one room with the bathroom, but then you'd run into moisture issues...I think you'll need to hire an interior designer to creatively make use of that space

In any case, I'm glad the rest of the home was built well and thanks again for sharing!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 7:25 PM

Hello Kehbon, thank you very much for sharing in depth about your units. Your view is lovely and you are facing mostly away from sky train, which are qualities everybody wants.
The master bedroom walk in though small, but not solvable. If this is my closet, this is what I would do. Make everything into 2 tiers. Go to HomeDepot buy a closet rod, cut to size of 24 Inch. Hang the rod with ropes to what ever height from the existing closet rod. You essentially double your hanging space without making it permanent. I would also buy those laundryroom type wire overhead bracket and mount it same height as your existing closet shelf on east wall. Buy some S hooks to hang stuffs from the wire rack. Also install a 1 x 4 midway below the wire shelf and mount cloth pegs on top.
Do the same on the other wall, but use a narrower board ,say 6 inch. Also another 1x4 about mid way on the west wall. Not all clothes need to be on hangers.

As for the pillar, I would love to hear anybody with creative idea how to mount a TV on, because that would be the most logical space and without the glare of the west sun.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 7:31 PM

I pity those corner unit buyers having to deal with the massive pillars. Poor design by Shape, should've erected them onto the balconies.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:26 PM

Are there many building that do that (place structural columns exposed to the elements).
Good idea, but I wonder if there's a structural concern?
(also, the slab may have to be thicker for a wider span.)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 11:28 PM

Glad my shots and review were helpful to you all. Just added some additional notes to my first post.

Master bedroom walk-in closet ideas: Thanks guys for your input. My wife and I are definitely weighing on those options:
- Tiny shelving with (IKEA) wall mounted or stand alone shelves on one side that are at most 6" deep (VarBreStr18)
- Closet rods (VarBreStr18's and wh0-care5's)
- Hire a professional and get creative (Tangeray's idea)

VarBreStr18: We are heavily considering a TV pillar mount like this: https://pillarmount.com/

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:07 AM

Maybe the sliding door was removed because it's an accessible suite?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehbon View Post
Glad my shots and review were helpful to you all. Just added some additional notes to my first post.

Master bedroom walk-in closet ideas: Thanks guys for your input. My wife and I are definitely weighing on those options:
- Tiny shelving with (IKEA) wall mounted or stand alone shelves on one side that are at most 6" deep (VarBreStr18)
- Closet rods (VarBreStr18's and wh0-care5's)
- Hire a professional and get creative (Tangeray's idea)

VarBreStr18: We are heavily considering a TV pillar mount like this: https://pillarmount.com/
that pillar mount is really nice. I also have the C plan so I may also have to do that. the living room looks smaller than i imagined and i'm not sure my original layout would work.

I was worried about the sun in my eyes if I did the pillar mount, but from all their sample photos, it seems like it should be okay

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Are there many building that do that (place structural columns exposed to the elements).
Good idea, but I wonder if there's a structural concern?
(also, the slab may have to be thicker for a wider span.)
It's less of a structural concern and more of other issues that arise when you place columns and pillars either on the building perimeter or skin, rather than within the floorplate layout - and which ultimately likely raise costs based on what has to be done to deal with these issues.

As an example, for instance, you could have thermal bridging and reducing the energy efficiency of your building skin by placing structural columns right at the skin and through which you either lose heat or impede ventilation. Columns are typically solid concrete (or steel in some cases), which basically means great conductors of heat, which in turn means you probably have to spend money on insulation/furring and sealing that you otherwise wouldn't spend at all.
(*incidentally you could also place them "outside" and not have to worry about insulation, but then you'd just have people complaining about the limited glazing and views as well as limited ventilation and openings)

Most often they are where they are because of what's happening down below at the parking and underground level (to an extent) since all the load is being transferred down there and your parking has to work.

All that being said, you absolutely can place them at the floorplate perimeter or envelop (if the structural guys work it out) if the building usage (and budget) allows for it and if it even essentially justifies doing so.
One common situation obviously is office buildings, where it's actually more useful for the developer or owner to have as much column-free space to rent out as possible since the tenants who lease those spaces love being able to re-organize the space as they wish, or in many cases having the open-floor office space concepts. So in that situation you would have most of the building load carried between a central core and the columns and structural skin via the floor slabs (through trusses or pre-stressed concrete or a such-like solution).
As was the case with the World Trade Center Towers, in which, sad to say, it probably actually contributed to the way they collapsed and actually even exacerbated how quickly both towers collapsed (and caused more deaths).

In residential buildings it's obviously different since almost all the floor layouts are identical and the developer doesn't care about providing open (column-free) floor spaces and it's actually more efficient to have everything identical floor-to-floor.
So in many situations you really can't avoid it, or do anything about having that ugly column in the middle of your living room......

...because, after all,...it is what's holding your building up and it being there where it is (and not outside your unit or on the curtain wall/envelope) probably means you're paying several thousands of dollars less for your unit.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh0-care5 View Post
that pillar mount is really nice. I also have the C plan so I may also have to do that. the living room looks smaller than i imagined and i'm not sure my original layout would work.

I was worried about the sun in my eyes if I did the pillar mount, but from all their sample photos, it seems like it should be okay
That pillar TV mount is a brilliant idea. Free up floor space. A crazy idea is paint the pillar before mounting. Paint snow packed mountain since you are facing north...or whatever so that that boring pillar becomes a piece of art. Guaranteed it be talked about focal point from your guests.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:57 AM

Move in here July 2020

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:47 AM

Hey Kehbon, did they give you a rough timeline for when completion will be?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:52 PM

Thanks Sprockets!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangeray View Post
Hey Kehbon, did they give you a rough timeline for when completion will be?
None unfortunately. Only the SHAPE team telling us what we already know (6th amendment completion date) and suggested we start looking for a mortgage.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:12 PM

I hope they get done with the fire alarm system soon. Today my smoke detectors were chirping for 2 hours while I was trying to sleep.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley