HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 12:36 AM
David

I am happy that the developers are including the internal street system with this development. The traffic in the neighbourhood is really terrible as it is, but I've always thought it could be helped if there were just a few more options for drivers in the area. I live nearby and I know there is already a high amount of traffic in rush hour using the mall parking lot to sneak around the constant gridlock at the Lougheed/Willingdon section. The plans seem pretty good to me in terms of making it a safe and walkable environment for pedestrians with enough buffers from the inevitable vehicle traffic, and I really like the inclusion of pedestrian bridges and plazas. It is all integrated into the Skytrain station very nicely as well.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I am happy that the developers are including the internal street system with this development. The traffic in the neighbourhood is really terrible as it is, but I've always thought it could be helped if there were just a few more options for drivers in the area. I live nearby and I know there is already a high amount of traffic in rush hour using the mall parking lot to sneak around the constant gridlock at the Lougheed/Willingdon section. The plans seem pretty good to me in terms of making it a safe and walkable environment for pedestrians with enough buffers from the inevitable vehicle traffic, and I really like the inclusion of pedestrian bridges and plazas. It is all integrated into the Skytrain station very nicely as well.
The plan also calls for working with Burnaby to improve the street network in the area, completing linkages that are currently missing to create a more connected grid. Should go a long way to easing congestion.

From this council report:
"Finally, it is noted that area wide network improvements are proposed including the completion of the Still Creek Avenue connection south of the BNSF rail line, the connection of Dawson Street between Beta Avenue and Douglas Road, and the connection of First Avenue to Douglas Road, as shown in Figure #5. These additional road connections provide improved connectivity within, and around the, Town Centre and thus are intended to serve Town Centre traffic needs. Furthermore, in relation to regional through traffic, it is noted that the Highway 1 improvements, currently underway, are intended to serve such traffic needs and lessen the demand on local arterial roadways, such as on Lougheed within the Town Centre."

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 9:47 PM

it's the height I love! (among other aspects of it)
But I think they'll have to really beef up road access.
This will no doubt spark a lot of controversy down the road.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 12:19 AM

Willingdon is already so congested. They need to expand the road somehow, especially with all the Brentwood and Metrotown developments coming on stream.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 3:12 AM
Registered

Ya Burnaby dropped the ball saving any ROW on the hill up to Metro.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofevil99 View Post
Willingdon is already so congested. They need to expand the road somehow, especially with all the Brentwood and Metrotown developments coming on stream.
Kingsway and parts of the Lougheed really need major surgery. However, we all know that's $ expensive, so what I fear we may get is a "little bit here, a little bit there," more left turn bays, and so on, but nothing really adequate. And I hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 10:25 PM

weren't they supposed to put a new overpass just east of the costco? that would really help alleviate some of the willingdon traffic

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 10:36 PM
Registered

Wayburne was nixed.

What's up with the Still Creek connection by Costco ? The road was done way back but barriers are still up. This will ease some east west flow...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 3:40 PM

I was at the Burnaby Town Hall meeting regarding this development back in August. The most repeated complaint about all these north and south Burnaby high density developments is their impact on traffic. Willingdon and Lougheed intersection is one of the worst intersections as both a pedestrian and motor vehicle. I think it has been mentioned before that the completion of the highway 1 upgrades will help alleviate some of these traffic concerns, but I don't think it will be enough.

Both this development as well as solo district seem to be marketing the area as a pedestrian friendly zone. I would really love to see something connecting the two communities. As it stands, moving from the south-west corner to the north -east corner takes a really long time with all the traffic lights and turn signals. There isn't much you can do though because the skytrain is in the way.

I really want see this drawing become a reality with lots of pedestrian activity in the plaza.

It's kind of funny how there are pedestrians crossing north and east at the same time with complete disregard to traffic flow.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 4:24 PM

With the skytrain guideway in the way, I'm not sure how much they could get away with, outside of a scramble crossing which might not be terribly helpful, or an extension of the station concourse to the other side of Willingdon which would likely be expensive.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 4:42 PM

I think a scramble crossing would impact traffic way too much and an extension of the station concourse would be a bit redundant because it connects so far east from the plaza corner that you're better off standing and waiting for crossing lights. I honestly don't think there is a feasible way to directly connect the communities - but I really want there to be...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 4:53 PM

Perhaps some sort of underground plaza or walkway connecting the two developments underneath the intersection would work. There's already going to be substantial amounts of retail underground as part of this development.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 5:28 PM
See ya down under, mates

Is the skytrain too low for something like this?

stevencanplan.com

Not pretty but gets the job done.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Perhaps some sort of underground plaza or walkway connecting the two developments underneath the intersection would work. There's already going to be substantial amounts of retail underground as part of this development.
I thought about underground, but I thought that would be extremely expensive and somewhat pointless to connect to a parking level. I didn't know there was going to be underground retail, I thought it would be underground parking only. But if it is linking into retail... I like this idea a lot... maybe if the developers could work out a deal with the city. It could connect the commercial part of the Altus tower in solo district with the Brentwood Plaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Is the skytrain too low for something like this?

stevencanplan.com

Not pretty but gets the job done.
I think it is too low and, yes, it is a bit of an eyesore. The skytrain gets higher and higher as it goes east towards the station. At it's peak height it would definitely fit as there is already the concourse of the station. However, at the west side of willingdon I believe it is too low.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 6:20 PM

The guideway is considerably shorter: http://goo.gl/maps/CJ5D8

Given that it is a major east-west corridor, it is probably not feasible to do something like that here. Large trucks would come pretty close.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 2:16 AM

There's no needs to have it configured as an "X". You could make use of the existing station mezzanine (the faregates don't block its use as an overpass, do they?) and, once development proceeds on the SE corner, build an overpass parallel to the guideway, south of Lougheed (and one north of Lougheed, if the need warrants). The only movement that would be missing would be NW to SW.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 5:52 AM

NOT identified as such, but a couple of urls say "BTC" and the model pic suggests Brentwood Station
in these pics at the MCMP website - so it may be for the Brentwood Town Centre project
(Could be old, who knows?):

http://www.mcmparchitects.com/portfolio/96

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniatus View Post
I was at the Burnaby Town Hall meeting regarding this development back in August. The most repeated complaint about all these north and south Burnaby high density developments is their impact on traffic. Willingdon and Lougheed intersection is one of the worst intersections as both a pedestrian and motor vehicle. I think it has been mentioned before that the completion of the highway 1 upgrades will help alleviate some of these traffic concerns, but I don't think it will be enough.

Both this development as well as solo district seem to be marketing the area as a pedestrian friendly zone. I would really love to see something connecting the two communities. As it stands, moving from the south-west corner to the north -east corner takes a really long time with all the traffic lights and turn signals. There isn't much you can do though because the skytrain is in the way.

I really want see this drawing become a reality with lots of pedestrian activity in the plaza.

It's kind of funny how there are pedestrians crossing north and east at the same time with complete disregard to traffic flow.
No traffic lights. Pedestrians have right of way... If you live to 30, report to Carrousel. http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.12/traffic.html

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofevil99 View Post
I think there are plans to expand the number of lanes on Willingdon from Lougheed to Hastings.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniatus View Post
I was at the Burnaby Town Hall meeting regarding this development back in August. The most repeated complaint about all these north and south Burnaby high density developments is their impact on traffic. Willingdon and Lougheed intersection is one of the worst intersections as both a pedestrian and motor vehicle.

They need to create a pedestrian overpass for all 4 roads connecting WILLINGDON AND Lougheed. Just like what they have in LAS VEGAS. Road with be for vehicles only

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley