HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 1:55 AM
-_-

that last picture is awesome. makes it look like a brand new city is being built from scratch.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 3:05 AM

According to the website for the dorms, www.asu-taylorplace.com , the ground floor will house a UPS Store. I wonder if any other retail will join or if that's the only one?

The Taylor St landscaping is pretty disappointing I think. I was expecting more mature trees I guess...not ones that look like bushes and won't provide shade for years.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 7:32 AM
Desert Urbanite

^I agree. What kind of shade is THAT? Sigh....it's a start. At least they didn't plant any palms. The rocks make the streetscape less inviting, and something needs to be done with that ugly AZ Center building at the end...makes for an ugly focal point: concrete!

Thanks for the website to Taylor Place. I like this "Pod" and "Plaza" thing they are proposing:

-Andrew

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 6:59 PM

actually palms like in the photo above would have provided quite a bit of shade compared to those pathetic 5 gallon trees!

its when they butch the palm trees to 3 - 5 fronds that they look like shit and make NO shade!

my $0.02

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 7:00 PM

actually palms like in the photo above would have provided quite a bit of shade compared to those pathetic 5 gallon trees!

its when they butch the palm trees to 3 - 5 fronds that they look like shit and make NO shade!

my $0.02

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 9:18 PM

Azdragon837-
Quote:
and something needs to be done with that ugly AZ Center building at the end...makes for an ugly focal point: concrete!
I double that observation. The bad part however is that, that is the side of the AMC theater and there really wouldn't be an easy way of changing it without some major renovations which I don't forsee AMC or the Arizona Center willing to do considering cost.

A cheaper alternative would be to simply create some type of gateway at the point that Taylor St ends. Something flashy like a huge arch topped with the AZ Center signage - heck even in neon - repave the sidewalk with more attractive pavers that create the illusion of a path leading the entrance. This could help both the students and the AZ Center. I mean look at that shot and imagine yourself on that street, what incentive would anyone have to walk down the street especially if you were unaware of the limited retail? Now imagine you walk and the only thing you see at the end of Taylor is a large inviting sign, it would definately create curiosity.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 10:15 PM

WIDE sidewalks and potentially scrawny trees don't promote shade all that well, especially not shade canopies, which would be ideal (but for some reason are a no-no for designers/the city).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 7:51 PM

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the pics, HX Guy. They have less than a year before the first dorm is supposed to be open, right? So far, it looks like they're making good time.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 1:58 AM

Driving by the site last night, it looks like they have already started work on the elevator core of the North dorm tower. This project is moving fast as hell, basically the polar opposite of Alta Phoenix.

^ And yes, the South tower is suppose to be open for the Fall of 08'

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 8:32 PM

Are they building both dorm towers? I was under the impression they were only going to do one and the other would be later.

South tower swarming with workers.

Dorms, Cronkite School and Sheraton.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 10:35 PM

Great shots, good (and new) angles on all of the projects.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 8:13 PM

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 12:50 AM

ASU dorm height

I was under the impression that the dorms were both going to be 16 stories. Wasn't that reported at one time or another? Also, even with these two structures they are still far short of their projected housing requirements, so wouldn't there be more incentive to build like 18-20 stories or acquire the insipid Valley Youth Theater and build three more slender towers instead of two?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 3:36 AM

I think costs prohibited anything more ambitious, besides, ASU has had a policy, they don't try to house all of the students that will be attending each campus.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 4:19 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUC View Post
Azdragon837-

I double that observation. The bad part however is that, that is the side of the AMC theater and there really wouldn't be an easy way of changing it without some major renovations which I don't forsee AMC or the Arizona Center willing to do considering cost.

A cheaper alternative would be to simply create some type of gateway at the point that Taylor St ends. Something flashy like a huge arch topped with the AZ Center signage - heck even in neon - repave the sidewalk with more attractive pavers that create the illusion of a path leading the entrance. This could help both the students and the AZ Center. I mean look at that shot and imagine yourself on that street, what incentive would anyone have to walk down the street especially if you were unaware of the limited retail? Now imagine you walk and the only thing you see at the end of Taylor is a large inviting sign, it would definately create curiosity.
I sort of disagree, if you look at the AZ Center, especially by the theater there is a HUGE set back. I think they could easily wrap it in retail if they wanted to. There's the sidewalk, then it steps up, and its probably 20 feet to the wall of the theater. Small cafes or other little shops could be added to the outside I think.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxbyrd211 View Post
I was under the impression that the dorms were both going to be 16 stories. Wasn't that reported at one time or another? Also, even with these two structures they are still far short of their projected housing requirements, so wouldn't there be more incentive to build like 18-20 stories or acquire the insipid Valley Youth Theater and build three more slender towers instead of two?
Originally there was talk of up to 19 stories if I remember correctly...but the final height has been reduced to 13 story buildings.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 4:41 AM

ASU Downtown Campus Attendance Up 22 %
September 28, 2007 by Lyle Plocher comment

Jahna Berry
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 28, 2007 05:08 PM

There are 22 percent more students on Arizona State University's downtown campus compare to last fall, the university reported on Friday.

ASU and local leaders are closely watching growth at the one-year-old campus because it's a key part of plans to revitalize downtown Phoenix.

In 2006, city residents voted to spend $220 million in bond money to help develop the campus.

There are 3,377 students taking classes downtown this fall compared to 2,766 last year, according to ASU figures made public this week.

The University also reported the number of students taught by downtown faculty, which was also up compared to last year. This, fall 6,595 students were taught by downtown faculty compared to 6,229 during the same period last year.

The number of students on campus is double number that the university was expecting, said Mernoy Harrison, Executive Vice Provost at the downtown campus.

"That says that we will be running out of space very quickly," said Harrison, adding that on certain days, there are no spare classrooms at the University Center.

ASU plans to add several building to the campus over the next few years to give the campus growing room. In 2008, a $71 million journalism school and the first phase of a $150 million dorm project will open. That year the nursing school plans break ground on a $15 million complex with more classrooms and offices.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 4:09 PM

19 stories would have been great

that would have meant about another 1,000 beds down there and judging from this article they certainly need it. No, they don't need to provide housing but they do at least need to account for the amount of students who are living on campus in Tempe for the programs that are moving to DT. THAT'S what I meant Andrew! Also, for every bed you provide that's one less commuter student you have at that campus which is good on so many levels.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 10:43 AM

Construction Update

Part of the South tower is already up to floor 13:

WCSOJ:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest