HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 9:01 AM
Red October standing by

planning for a new camera

my D90 is 3.5 years old. i feel it's time to upgrade. i'm looking for something that will do handheld nightshots well.

any recommendations? should i wait for a D7000 replacement, go D7000, or get a D600?

i'm worried about my DX lenses reducing the MP count and i don't want to buy a new set of lenses.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 9:28 AM

I had the d70 and got the D7000 a while back,while its a good camera I just wish
I had waited a bit longer and gone fullframe

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 1:09 AM
3rd Coast King

Go for the d7000. All your lenses will work. If you want to eventually upgrade to full frame you can start buying them now while you have a crop sensor and there will be no issue. But whats the fun of a full frame if you dont have any lenses for it?

Hey bro. I might be headed to ATL soon too. Like a permanent thing.

My Book

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 4:08 AM

I messed around with a d600 for a bit and I think it has a fx/dx button that allows you to shoot in either format. You could get the d600, treat it like a crop with your current lenses and then start shooting full frame when you buy the fx lenses. Might want to double check but I think it has that feature.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
I messed around with a d600 for a bit and I think it has a fx/dx button that allows you to shoot in either format. You could get the d600, treat it like a crop with your current lenses and then start shooting full frame when you buy the fx lenses. Might want to double check but I think it has that feature.
Great feature, the old DX lenses won't become scrap if you buy the camera,I think Flar was worried about that a while ago,your prayers are answered Flar go for it (I would if I had the cash)

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 6:47 PM
Red October standing by

my D90 had a bad fall on new year's eve just after midnight; the top display's ink is blotched, the flash is stuck up, the metering is off and it's reluctant to take a photo once it's in focus.

the good news is the lens seems fine, i still have a D70s body and hopefully insurance will do something for it.

the price for a D7000 body is perfect, although with the fiscal cliff resolution i'm very tempted to go for a D600 kit with 24-85mm lens and run my other FX lenses, cycling them out for $1600 more.

i played with both bodies in a store and like them both.

now i just can't make up my mind...

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
Great feature, the old DX lenses won't become scrap if you buy the camera,I think Flar was worried about that a while ago,your prayers are answered Flar go for it (I would if I had the cash)
The D600 turned out to be a bit pricier than I was hoping, but I hardly ever take photos anymore so I'm sticking with the D90.

I think the D7000 is a great value right now.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 7:17 PM
Ex Houstonian

Id get the D7000 if I were you.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 11:30 PM
3rd Coast King

Look at it this way:

Do you want the top of the line crop sensor body?

or

the entry level full frame body?

FX lenses are pretty steep and its not worth buying a FX body if you are not looking to make that move.

My Book

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 2:14 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
Look at it this way:

Do you want the top of the line crop sensor body?

or

the entry level full frame body?

FX lenses are pretty steep and its not worth buying a FX body if you are not looking to make that move.
Its still full frame vs crop sensor though. I've been considering the D600 for a few months too.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 2:53 AM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Its still full frame vs crop sensor though. I've been considering the D600 for a few months too.
True, BUt the switch to FX lenses is not a cheap one and not really one I would recommend for someone that is not going to be using their camera for pro work. The d7000 has a great sensor. ISO capabilities to 12,800 and and internal AF motor. The only thing that the d600 that really stands out to me is the 24.6 mp sensor. BUt this is not really needed if you frame properly. Thats more of a pro thing when you need to crop a lot.

My Book

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
True, BUt the switch to FX lenses is not a cheap one and not really one I would recommend for someone that is not going to be using their camera for pro work. The d7000 has a great sensor. ISO capabilities to 12,800 and and internal AF motor. The only thing that the d600 that really stands out to me is the 24.6 mp sensor. BUt this is not really needed if you frame properly. Thats more of a pro thing when you need to crop a lot.
I'd love to have that cropping ability

Full frame will give you even better high ISO performance, better sharpness and wider angle (if you can afford the appropriate lens).

Still, these things are mainly needed by pros.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 6:38 AM
Honored Member

I'm with Diskojoe with regard to the D7000. That was going to be my next move up.
[B][I]"I'm going to bet you that [U]when we're done [/U]-- [U]I don't know when that will be [/U]-- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner 05/22/05[/I][/B]

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 10:05 AM
Red October standing by

thanks for the input and advice. i'm going to order the d7000 today and use the savings for a trip.

maybe in another 3 years or so full frame's price will come down and i'll make the move.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 2:51 PM

You should know a few things about the D7000 before you buy it...it has in my opinion poor high iso performance, anything over 1500 iso is pretty much rubbish, it's auto focus can drive you mad with it's tendency to lock on objects in the fore-ground, the camera is burdened with tons of useless features which at times you haven't got a clue which feature is working and which is being overridden (the fucking camera comes with a 325 page manual) and finally the camera is heavy and bulky nothing you would want to lug around for long periods of time (PS the images it produces aren't any better than the ancient D80)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 9:22 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
You should know a few things about the D7000 before you buy it...it has in my opinion poor high iso performance, anything over 1500 iso is pretty much rubbish, it's auto focus can drive you mad with it's tendency to lock on objects in the fore-ground, the camera is burdened with tons of useless features which at times you haven't got a clue which feature is working and which is being overridden (the fucking camera comes with a 325 page manual) and finally the camera is heavy and bulky nothing you would want to lug around for long periods of time (PS the images it produces aren't any better than the ancient D80)
Really? My a580 has the same sensor and it gives me decent images up to about 6400. NOw if you want crystal clear about 1600 is the limit but you can fix a lot with some noise reduction. I wouldnt know much about the rest though.

My Book

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 6:34 AM
Red October standing by

D7000 ordered.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I understood almost none of the words and phrases in this thread, but congratulations LSyd! I hope you enjoy it!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 1:54 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Holy crap, dude. Who the heck pissed in your cereal before you posted that little diatribe???

Perhaps the camera has too many "useless features" for your tastes, but I know a lot of people who take advantage of many of them, meaning they're definitely NOT "useless." So what, the camera's got a 325 page manual? Big deal, even my D5100 came with a very sizeable manual as well! So far as the camera being heavy and bulky, well that's pretty much how most relatively-rugged DSLR's are, especially those that aren't made entirely of plastic.

I'm actually considering going from my D5100 to the 7000 at this time, mainly so I can take advantage of a number of "cheaper" lenses that don't have the AF motor in the lens and still produce amazing image quality. One old-school lens vs. one with a built-in AF motor would save me at least half the cost of buying the D7000 body, and selling my D5100 body would pay for the rest! Oh yeah, the much-improved autofocus helps a lot as well, of course!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 2:23 PM

^ Have you used a D7000? I stand by everything I wrote which includes poor high iso performance,faulty autofocus and a myriad of useless features incuding "D-lighting" .But I must say the camera is well built and very well priced so it comes down to the quality of lenses you put in front( which can run into the thousands) And by the way I don't eat cereal for breakfast

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography