HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:07 PM

[Moncton] Gateway Towers | 2 x 17s | Mixed Residential | Proposed

Maybe a mod can move the posts to this thread.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:08 PM

Let's go, Moncton! Resurgo

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I will repost this pertinent comment by lirette to start things off. I guess all further discussion of this project should now be done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
The glass atrium is a nice feature which differentiates it enough from the 3 sisters. Seeing these high quality render I am not as concerned about everything looking the same

The atrium could be...

1. Pool
2. Event space for residents (including three sisters residents)
3. Dining/Restaurant (something with this much natural lighting could make a nice brunch spot)
4. High end cafe (epoch)
5. Pickleball court

Keep in mind this will now create a better flow into the riverfront park where things like ribfest and other festivals are hosted. This is going to vastly change the amount of activity on the riverfront which has been mostly dead at that end of downtown. There will be a much safer feeling using the trail system in this area.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And, for completeness, it should be noted that there will be ~ 400 residential units in this development. Construction should begin this fall.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And, for completeness, it should be noted that there will be ~ 400 residential units in this development. Construction should begin this fall.
The three sisters were 450 units right?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
Yes, I believe so.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
Yep. A total of 850 units. That's a lot of new residents downtown. I wonder if they'll ever create some kind of overpass across the tracks so people can walk over to Avenir Center? It's so close.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:46 PM

Moncton is in need of conference space, isn't it? That would make sense for the atrium.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Moncton is in need of conference space, isn't it? That would make sense for the atrium.
There's an ongoing city study to include conference space with a new market as part whatever Ashford builds in the Downing Street area.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Conference space is planned for the Ashford/Downing project.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Yep. A total of 850 units. That's a lot of new residents downtown. I wonder if they'll ever create some kind of overpass across the tracks so people can walk over to Avenir Center? It's so close.
It would be interesting if they could link up this new development with a pedway to the Three Sisters, and then a pedway/path from there to Avenir. I would love to see Moncton create a pedestrian path downtown like in Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
It would be interesting if they could link up this new development with a pedway to the Three Sisters, and then a pedway/path from there to Avenir. I would love to see Moncton create a pedestrian path downtown like in Toronto.
I actually thought of that too. A pedway to get across Assomption and also to Avenir would be fantastic; especially in the winter. It doesn't appear to be in the cards though.

If they ever do some kind of development on that colossal sea of asphalt across the street, you'd think that they'd have to create a pedway system at that point. I wouldn't hold my breath though, notwithstanding how amazing it would be.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
Either the Rogers Building (and parking lot) or Heritage Court parking lot is the clear winner right now for biggest opportunities downtown with nothing in the plans. In an outlandish perfect dream scenario Heritage Court would build a mixed use property on their lot that includes a 3-4 level parking garage (perhaps something that includes a shopping component, and youd have a pedway connecting The Gateway to the three sisters, to the heritage court development and finally to Avenir.

Unfortunately I dont see Heritage Management as a high quality developer & partner in such an endeavour. They have shown basically no interest in taking advantage of their proximity to Avenir. Id imagine it would be very difficult to add a pedway after the fact, although im not an expert on this topic, but I dont see this happening unless Lafford buys up the Heritage Lot.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Either the Rogers Building (and parking lot) or Heritage Court parking lot is the clear winner right now for biggest opportunities downtown with nothing in the plans. In an outlandish perfect dream scenario Heritage Court would build a mixed use property on their lot that includes a 3-4 level parking garage (perhaps something that includes a shopping component, and youd have a pedway connecting The Gateway to the three sisters, to the heritage court development and finally to Avenir.

Unfortunately I dont see Heritage Management as a high quality developer & partner in such an endeavour. They have shown basically no interest in taking advantage of their proximity to Avenir. Id imagine it would be very difficult to add a pedway after the fact, although im not an expert on this topic, but I dont see this happening unless Lafford buys up the Heritage Lot.
I don't see Heritage Court coming down (maybe the Rogers building would be more likely to meet the wrecking ball, IDK), but this lot is substantial enough for development, and sits just south of the planned new east-west street. https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=01962865

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 3:41 PM

I was also looking at the map Adam. I don't think that lot would be developed as it's the customer parking for Heritage court. The entrance is on that side of the building. However, there's an even larger parking lot behind the building (east side). If they were to create a multi level parking structure there, that would make it easier to develop that huge parking lot across the street, which is practically next door to the Avenir Center.

Alas, the cost would probably put the kibosh on any such plan.

Just dreaming here, but if Lafford were ever to acquire Heritage Court, we might see something creative happen to unlock the huge potential that's sitting there.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 3:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I don't see Heritage Court coming down (maybe the Rogers building would be more likely to meet the wrecking ball, IDK), but this lot is substantial enough for development, and sits just south of the planned new east-west street. https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=01962865
Heritage Court isn't going anywhere. It's the former Eaton's catalogue warehouse, and is a significant part of the city's history. I believe it is a registered historic site.

The Rogers Building is suburban and contemptible. It should never have been built where it is in the first place. It has no redeeming characteristics whatsoever, and, when it falls victim to the wrecking ball. loud cheers will be heard throughout the city. Bells will chime in celebration.........

The Roger's site is the next most important development site in the downtown after Ashford/Downing.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:09 PM

So we'll call this Gateway Towers and no longer two brothers? Also noticed no surface parking for guests, shoppers, staff, etc. If there's 200 potential units, shouldn't there be close to 200 parking spots underground?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
So we'll call this Gateway Towers and no longer two brothers? Also noticed no surface parking for guests, shoppers, staff, etc. If there's 200 potential units, shouldn't there be close to 200 parking spots underground?
I'm sure tenants will be taken care of. Visitors, not so much.

Two Brothers was always a placeholder name. Gateway is official.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:13 PM

New CBC article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...sale-1.7238094

Quote:
"Councillors have unanimously approved selling land along the Hal Betts Commemorative Sportsplex, at the foot of Foundry Street, to J.N. Lafford Realty Inc. for what city documents refer to as the Gateway Towers.

The Sackville-based company is proposing towers connected by a pedway that would include about 1,000 square metres of commercial space, a wellness and recreation area, and between 380 and 400 apartments. A public right-of-way underneath the pedway would link Foundry and the Riverfront Park and trail to the south.

While the land sale for Gateway Towers was approved Monday, city staff noted that it would still require future votes by council to amend bylaws.

If fully approved, Silliker said the city expects initial site work to start this fall with foundations under construction next year.

Silliker said if the developer fails to meet certain timelines, the land could revert back to the city.

Silliker said the estimated building permit value is in the range of $90 million.

The land being sold does not include any of the ball fields.

Coun. Charles Léger, one of the councillors who represents the area, praised the plans and noted the proximity to the fields. Silliker said there have been discussions of netting to catch foul balls and mitigate conflicts.

"The developer, even as part of leasing out anything, obviously facing that side of the ball field there's going to be a conversation about lighting and extra activity and making sure that those potential tenants know about those ball fields," Silliker said".

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
They can park on the side of the road and walk like in a real city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces