HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 1:52 AM
Capitalist

Of course weather is always changing... and short samples should not be taken to nesesarily mean the ussual weather conditions for this time of year.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 1:52 AM
Capitalist

FYI:

Winnipeg Forcast (Sept 20 - Sept 25)
Found on The Weather Network:
http://www.www.theweathernetwork.com

Looks like a great weekend.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 2:53 AM
high expectations

right on, just in time for the weekend

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 6:19 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Hey .. I know a good handful of people looking forward to the snow to fly. They are getting there skis waxed and ready to go. If thats your outlook than yes the snow could be considered glorious.

Calgary Weather Forcast (Sept 18-19)
Found on the Weather Network website:

For myself... I'd rather be in Gimli @ 25 degrees, but thats just me.
oh my gosh i would surely die in Calgary with these kinds of weather sudden changes.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 6:21 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
FYI:

Winnipeg Forcast (Sept 20 - Sept 25)
Found on The Weather Network:

Looks like a great weekend.
suddenly 27 degrees and feels like 36, and then again cold and rain????

-------------

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Uh-oh, I hear Inthewest approaching fast with his rebuttle on "Alberta's glorious weather".
You're too funny...so over-the-top

It is lightly snowing right now. Very common in mid-Sept for Calgary area. Is it "glorious"? Well, not really. Is it terrible? Well, after you live in Calgary for a year or two, you start to understand that when the snow first falls later in the year, it by no means is a sign that good weather is over (unlike Winnipeg in mid to late Oct)....so, most Calgarians won't really care. Besides, it makes the mountains look better

And as Newflyer points out, today shouldn't be construed as the normal in Calgary...so far the average highs for Sept have been exaclty on par with Winnipeg at 20.3c - which is 2-3 degrees warmer than normal for the month for both cities. In fact, it's exactly this point in the late summer where Calgary's averages (as recorded at YYC) meet up with Winnipeg's declining summer temperatures at 17c.

Hope that helps you Greco.

For Winnipegers, if you get a 20+c day (or two, or three), definitely get out there and enjoy it! I know I will...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 6:34 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post

It is lightly snowing right now. Very common in mid-Sept for Calgary area. Is it "glorious"? Well, not really. Is it terrible? Well, after you live in Calgary for a year or two, you start to understand that when the snow first falls later in the year, it by no means is a sign that good weather is over (unlike Winnipeg in mid to late Oct)....so, most Calgarians won't really care. Besides, it makes the mountains look better

And as Newflyer points out, today shouldn't be construed as the normal in Calgary...so far the average highs for Sept have been exaclty on par with Winnipeg at 20.3c - which is 2-3 degrees warmer than normal for the month for both cities. In fact, it's exactly this point in the late summer where Calgary's averages (as recorded at YYC) meet up with Winnipeg's declining summer temperatures at 17c.

For Winnipegers, if you get a 20+c day (or two, or three), definitely get out there and enjoy it! I know I will...

Actually, I think that you might be the one who's smoking, since winters in Winnipeg are coming later and later, like from mid-november to early December. But I guess it's no Calgary, is it?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 9:31 PM
A long time gone

Quote:

snow in mid september (technically summer) is not "normal" in my books. The body needs to adapt to the cold, this is way too brutal.

-------------

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 11:08 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
snow in mid september (technically summer) is not "normal" in my books. The body needs to adapt to the cold, this is way too brutal.

Yeah ... snow in summer sucks!!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 1:01 AM

^No, it's not "normal" for most parts of the world, but keep in mind it's very close to the mountains (i.e. higher altitude), and elsewhere on the prairies still get nearly as cold throughout the night (it was 3c and snowing...not -10c). When I was in the Peg in August, one night dropped to about 3.5c, so this isn't that far off...and 0c at night isn't impossible either.

Greco - no, it's not the same as Calgary. The last couple years have been quite warm across the country, and I've said on here several times that for major centers, Winnipeg will benefit most from global warming temperature increases (Prairies will see increases of 1-2 degrees through winter on the updated EC averages in 2010).

It also depends on when you define as the start of winter (aside from the technical start of late Dec). When I was in Vancouver, the start of constant rain and cool (below 10c) temperatures usually was the sign. In the prairies, I usually go by when the mean temp is dropping consistently below 0c. For Calgary, it really does take getting used to, and is quite hard to define.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 4:37 AM

Listen all you whiny Winnipeggers - current and former - enough is enough. I golfed a wonderful nine holes after work today and sit down for a nice read here on the forum and all I find are pot shots at fellow forumers. I live in winnipeg, am happy to do so, and don't need anybody stoking the pot. Calgary's great, Edmonton's great, Regina and Saskatoon are great, now please for the love of Bobby Hull can we drop this nonsense over who is a freakin nation? My goddamn ass is a nation, ok?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 11:20 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
^No, it's not "normal" for most parts of the world, but keep in mind it's very close to the mountains (i.e. higher altitude), and elsewhere on the prairies still get nearly as cold throughout the night (it was 3c and snowing...not -10c). When I was in the Peg in August, one night dropped to about 3.5c, so this isn't that far off...and 0c at night isn't impossible either.

Greco - no, it's not the same as Calgary. The last couple years have been quite warm across the country, and I've said on here several times that for major centers, Winnipeg will benefit most from global warming temperature increases (Prairies will see increases of 1-2 degrees through winter on the updated EC averages in 2010).

It also depends on when you define as the start of winter (aside from the technical start of late Dec). When I was in Vancouver, the start of constant rain and cool (below 10c) temperatures usually was the sign. In the prairies, I usually go by when the mean temp is dropping consistently below 0c. For Calgary, it really does take getting used to, and is quite hard to define.
Calgary is 1000 m a.s.l., I think this is the reason of the early winter and cooler summer.

-------------

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 10:20 PM

^Yes, winter started two days ago....

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 10:58 PM
Capitalist

Lets hope not...

... but I envy those who are taking in the warm temps in the Peg this weekend.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 11:44 PM

Just thought I'd add..

average max temps for Today (september 21)
Calgary: 17
Winnipeg: 16

It's not normal for winnipeg to be so much warmer than Calgary

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 6:35 PM

^Yes, I pointed out the averages on the last page, and the fact that on "average", from this point until next Summer. However, Calgary will always get this kind of weather in Sept - with a few days that barely make (or don't) double digits.

I agree with Newflyer - enjoy it while you can.

I find it annoying watching Weather Network, as they talk about the "near-seasonal" summer-like weather in Toronto (mid-20's today), and then get to the west (from MB on he mentions), and mention that "Fall has arrived", and "about seasonal in Calgary" at 13c...and Winnipeg on its way to 21c today.

Along with the average you point out above, TO's is only 19c...not that much greater, and a far-cry from the high-20s they've been getting

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 3:51 AM
Capitalist

Winnipeg Forcast Sept 28 - 29th

It looks like another Great weekend in the Pegcity!!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 8:16 PM
Capitalist

Sept 29, 2007

WOW!! ... another great day to be at the lake!!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 5:58 PM

Not only is Tony Soprano buying a place but "About 85 per cent of the 290 lots sold so far have gone to Albertans."....interesting.

CHAD OLAFSON is about to find out how Tony Soprano deals with stool pigeons.
Olafson is the youthful entrepreneur behind a hot new cottage development at Lake Manitoba Narrows, where he has sold almost 290 lots in just nine months.

But he recently let slip that one of his buyers is none other than mega-celebrity James Gandolfini, who played the role of mob boss Tony Soprano on the hit TV series The Sopranos.

Not only is Gandolfini one of today's biggest stars, famous for playing a gangster who hired hit men to take care of characters who crossed him, he is also one of the most private and publicity shy actors and rarely grants interviews.

"I don't know if he would be too happy if a lot of people knew," said Olafson, when approached with the news tip that Gandolfini bought a cottage lot from him.

Too late, Chad.
Other members of Gandolfini's family were actually first to discover this provincial gem where Lake Manitoba bottlenecks like an hourglass, 200 kilometres north of Winnipeg. Two other members of the actor's family bought their properties first.

Gandolfini's brother-in-law, Eddie, used to visit Lake Manitoba Narrows Lodge, owned by Olafson's family, to hunt. He became good friends with Chad, 32. The brother-in-law and Gandolfini's sister, Joanna, even attended Olafson's wedding. "They both flew down from Manhattan," said Olafson.

This was before hit series The Sopranos began in 1999, starring New Jersey-born James Gandolfini.

"(Eddie) said to me that his brother-in-law was a struggling actor, so if you're ever in New York, maybe he can get you in to see something," said Olafson.

"(Gandolfini) had been in a couple of things by then but nothing famous. He was in the movie True Romance. Then he just got super famous super fast."

Olafson, who grew up on an Interlake cattle ranch his father, Blair, still runs, has visited the Gandolfini family in New York. "We went to see (Broadway musical) The Producers -- James took us to that -- and he said let's go for drinks after."

So they went to none other than famous New York landmark Sardi's Restaurant in Times Square. "It was funny. We walked out of Sardi's and right next to (Gandolfini) was this 80-foot poster of him in Times Square. I said to him 'that must make your head feel pretty big, eh man?' "

What did he say? "Aw, nothing. He jokes about how I say 'eh?' all the time."

The last time Olafson and his wife, Brandee, visited New York, he talked to Gandolfini beforehand by phone. "He said, 'Anything you want in New York, you just name it.'" Olafson didn't want to impose on his friend but mentioned it had always been a dream of his to see Saturday Night Live.

"He got us front-row tickets," said Olafson. They met Gandolfini later for dinner at a Manhattan restaurant the actor co-owns.

"He couldn't do anything with us afterward because he was busy, but he gave us his limo for the rest of the night. We just had his chauffeur drive us around Manhattan all night. It was great."

Gandolfini looked at properties in Montana before deciding to buy in Lake Manitoba Narrows. Olafson said Gandolfini hasn't fished or hunted there but likes snowmobiling, boating, riding around on ATVs, "and getting away. He's actually pretty quiet."

Olafson asked if there was any way to suppress news of Gandolfini's interest in the area. Gandolfini has managed to visit without fanfare in the past. "He likes coming out because not too many people know about the place. If people know about it too much..."

However, that kind of news is unlikely to stay secret for long.

Olafson's cottage development is also not well-known. He bought 720 acres -- including a mile of shoreline on the west side of Lake Manitoba, south of the Narrows bridge -- for $2.3 million last December. He immediately began clearing land and build roads.

The lots are not on Laurentian rock, or on sandy Lake Winnipeg shoreline, like many Manitoba cottages. The shoreline can be marshy and the lake is known more for fishing than other recreation.

But when Olafson put his lots up for sale on the market in Alberta, they took off. "I went to the Home Expression Show in Edmonton," he said. "They sold like crazy. I sold 20 lots a day for a week, 150 lots in one week. It was just ridiculous.

"So many people from Alberta are originally from Manitoba. They move out to follow the oil money. Now they don't want to live there."

About 85 per cent of the 290 lots sold so far have gone to Albertans.

"In Alberta, it's $1 million to live on a lake and the lake is a slough, from what everybody tells me."

Olafson added: "We've got a pretty nice place up here, you know. Albertans tell us that all the time. Manitobans are kind of spoiled and don't always appreciate what we have."

The first four cottages are under construction. Olafson is also building a $2-million golf course. Lakefront lots sold for $55,900, golf course lots for $42,900, and backlots for $25,900. Forty remain but most are backlots.

One appeal to Albertans is that he places no time limit on when owners have to build cottages. That makes them easier for people to buy for retirement.

Many people see the Narrows eventually transforming dramatically from a sleepy sport fishing community to a cottage and even a retirement community.

"I'd like to see it in another 50 to 100 years," said longtime resident John Johnson. "People start retiring there and next thing you know it's another Gimli."

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 7:10 PM
Mooderator

I just can't picture Tony riding a snowmobile.. but that's pretty cool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan