HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
So, at the Council COW meeting this week, there was a proposal from KMK Capital to build a 4-storey, and 8-storey buildings and a 10-story parking structure ( 900 spots) on Searose Dr., west of the Canadian Tire.....
I was down on Hebron Way today and noticed a 4 story "tilt up" (Two sides already up) going up behind the Crosbie building.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I was down on Hebron Way today and noticed a 4 story "tilt up" (Two sides already up) going up behind the Crosbie building.
Yeah think that 4 storey building was already approved before these new 8 and 10 storey proposals.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 7:31 PM

Pedestrian Mall Opens Today

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 12:12 PM

Would love to see the Water St pedestrian mall year after year going forward!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 4:33 PM

331 Water Street

Appears as though site work has begun on this property. I don't recall seeing approval on it or hearing anything since discussion last August.

Site is fenced off and plenty of construction equipment and workers on site.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...015%202019.pdf

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Appears as though site work has begun on this property. I don't recall seeing approval on it or hearing anything since discussion last August.

Site is fenced off and plenty of construction equipment and workers on site.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...015%202019.pdf
This was approved fairly quietly, there was the usual hearings and feedback from the Built Heritage Panel but it was approved with a few tweaks, most notably the addition of a few bike racks. Who cares that it is a glass box next to a 200 year old heritage building...as long as it has a bike rack!!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 10:31 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

LUAR for Parish Lane has been updated.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 12:02 PM

I hope this project gets approved this time, the developer has listened to concerns and has made some changes so hopefully it can proceed.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I hope this project gets approved this time, the developer has listened to concerns and has made some changes so hopefully it can proceed.
It looks absolutely lovely in detail. The Telegram's article says
the city is looking for public comments.

As always, here are the emails
http://www.stjohns.ca/city-hall/about-city-hall/council
I have gotten some nice emails back from councillors on previous forays, with comments on particular proposals.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 1:27 PM

Renders for the new mental health facility have been released. I think it looks really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I like it as well. Looks fine for a hospital. More curious what’ll be done with the existing Waterford.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I like it as well. Looks fine for a hospital. More curious what’ll be done with the existing Waterford.
It sure looks a lot nicer than the current Waterford! I too am wondering what will be done with the existing one. That's prime real estate area .. maybe sold for development? Re-purposed into residential/commercial mix-use? There's a lot of possibilities here. Given the current financial climate, I can see government wanting to divest older infrastructure. Hopefully it doesn't turn into another Grace Hospital....

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 12:19 PM

Indeed it looks pretty good for a hospital, especially compared to HSC right next to it. I would think that the current Waterford buildings will be demo'd for some high-density condos or apartments. It'd be nice to keep the building, there are parts of it which look real nice on the exterior, but I imagine it's too far beyond saving at this point.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Indeed it looks pretty good for a hospital, especially compared to HSC right next to it. I would think that the current Waterford buildings will be demo'd for some high-density condos or apartments. It'd be nice to keep the building, there are parts of it which look real nice on the exterior, but I imagine it's too far beyond saving at this point.
I love the new design! 👍

A couple of high rise buildings on the current Waterford Hospital site would be great for that area. Great potential there.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
...A couple of high rise buildings on the current Waterford Hospital site would be great for that area. Great potential there.
The key note in your comment is "Great potential" and hopefully that is what ultimately will become of it but the way some "great potential" properties (eg: I J Samson) are developed into something less than great bothers me on this one.

Here is the way I see this playing out, some of the partners in the new facility (eg: Cahill, Hickman) use their pull and get an option to buy the old Waterford property without a full open bid/proposal from others. Hopefully they have a vision that goes beyond townhouses or god forbid a commercial development. As for condos or senior housing, this would certainly be a long term play based on market conditions. We can only wait and see.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 10:03 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 12:33 PM

Re: Apt complex...it will be interesting to see how this will play out, on one had there is certainly a need for this type of housing near MUN but there might be questions raised about density and of course there is the historic house on the site.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Re: Apt complex...it will be interesting to see how this will play out, on one had there is certainly a need for this type of housing near MUN but there might be questions raised about density and of course there is the historic house on the site.
(competing landlord in area): "this is a terrible idea!"

But seriously it doesn't seem that tall to really warrant any opposition, other than maybe perhaps from the people who go to the church next to it.

They'd also have either add a new road or widen the existing road too I would imagine.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
(competing landlord in area): "this is a terrible idea!"

But seriously it doesn't seem that tall to really warrant any opposition, other than maybe perhaps from the people who go to the church next to it.

They'd also have either add a new road or widen the existing road too I would imagine.
It's great to see interest in developments.... but I still can't help but feel another missed opportunity to create some density. It'd be great to have two 15-18 story towers as opposed to a bunch of horizontal buildings. That would open the opportunity for more green space and usable land. Maybe developers are getting tired of the grief that's caused by proposing something higher than 6 stories.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
It's great to see interest in developments.... but I still can't help but feel another missed opportunity to create some density. It'd be great to have two 15-18 story towers as opposed to a bunch of horizontal buildings. That would open the opportunity for more green space and usable land. Maybe developers are getting tired of the grief that's caused by proposing something higher than 6 stories.
Agree

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's