HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 3:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Keep in mind that the documents state +1400ft, not 1400ft. I'd expect this to be taller than Willis to the roof even if there is a flat top, but don't be surprised if the skyscraper gods smile upon us and we get a grand crown for this tower. Think +1600ft to the pinnacle.
A crown would be amazing. There was a proposal on Wacker Drive years ago that was a slender box with a crown, but the crown made it. The same is true with 220 CPS.

Old Norm though is fixated on replicating 50s International Style, so I doubt that he'll design a crown.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 3:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

Consider for a moment that the same personality behind the ostentatious decision to dismantle a perfectly good midcentury office tower - the tallest intentional demolition ever undertaken - is the same ostentatious personality that will ultimately decide whether his new bank tower is the tallest in the city. I think those are pretty good reasons to think we may see a push for tallest for tallest sake. I sure as hell hope so.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 4:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Consider for a moment that the same personality behind the ostentatious decision to dismantle a perfectly good midcentury office tower - the tallest intentional demolition ever undertaken.
The fact that it would be the tallest demo ever undertaken tells me it's not perfectly good. But I do agree it's close enough in height that the call could be made to go for tallest, at least in midtown. They aren't doing One Vanderbilt any favors with this design (will anybody give us something other than a boxy roof as Midtown's tallest?). But I'm pleased so far with what we have. Bulky comes with the office building territory.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 5:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

You know I'm not saying that. As a building, in a vacuum, it's perfectly good. As a flagship headquarters for JPMC, it is not. And the value of the location makes the economics of such a dramatic move possible. That's all I meant.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 5:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
You know I'm not saying that. As a building, in a vacuum, it's perfectly good. As a flagship headquarters for JPMC, it is not. And the value of the location makes the economics of such a dramatic move possible. That's all I meant.

I know, I'm just saying. They did consider all options, short of leaving the city altogether.

But on another note, I do love the way both this tower and One Vandy provide a public room with access to Grand Central.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 10:23 PM
Crane Goddess

^I liked the "no action" one better, to be honest. If we have to lose the current building (weeping here, I feel like I'm losing a friend, kinda!), something that pays homage to its predecessor would be awesome.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 10:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A crown or spire could easily push this past 1600 ft. I'm wondering if the mass model is just occupied + mechanical? If so... or if just occupied space... not including mechanical, this could very well be past 1500-1600 ft. One of those cases WHERE an iconic Crown with SPIRE would be sweet.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 10:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
A crown or spire could easily push this past 1600 ft. I'm wondering if the mass model is just occupied + mechanical? If so... or if just occupied space... not including mechanical, this could very well be past 1500-1600 ft. One of those cases WHERE an iconic Crown with SPIRE would be sweet.
I read somewhere in the EAS that the numbers given for both versions were for the bulkheads. That wouldn't take into account parapet height, or any other crowning element.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 11:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I just want to point out the size of this parcel. This thing will be stupidly massive.

I made a collage using state of the art 3dsmax (paint) to showcase the size of the parcel.

Compare to mass model(s). Notice the mass model in relation to the existing building size.

Compare to: With the size of these floors and area, its going to be massive. Might have more of a presence than 1 Vandy from a bulk standpoint.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 11:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I just want to point out the size of this parcel. This thing will be stupidly massive.

I made a collage using state of the art 3dsmax (paint) to showcase the size of the parcel.

Compare to mass model(s). Notice the mass model in relation to the existing building size.

You could compare it to 277 Park in that same massing...

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/buil...rk-avenue/1481

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 12:04 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I read somewhere in the EAS that the numbers given for both versions were for the bulkheads. That wouldn't take into account parapet height, or any other crowning element.
Man so even with the 1400 foot plan we could be talking a near 1600 footer, with the other plan even higher

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 1:36 AM
Crane Goddess

NYGuy that is one good picture of 277, not even gonna lie. Notice its big, block sized “tail”?
Chris08876, the image of Dimon you chose is funny- just something about the look on his face. I’m not sure what the fish down at the bottom of the image represent though, or who that woman is supposed to be.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Man so even with the 1400 foot plan we could be talking a near 1600 footer, with the other plan even higher
Yup. And imagine; this is surrounded by other massive development sites. There are at least four giant sites on Madison, and three on Park. Also a couple on Lex and Third. All can receive the transferable air rights.

Midtown East is gonna be insane in 20 years.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:22 AM

These were done by Thomas Koloski.
It's gonna be huge.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:36 AM

I can't wait to see this in the diagram section, even if it's just a placeholder.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Those graphics are great.

A little more reading on what we already know, the location (and type) of the POPS could alter the number and size of floors throughout the building. This thing should be completing the ULURP process around summertime. The tower itself would probably be in the demo process, with 2020 being the target date for construction to begin.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 5:21 AM

This is incredible news. I really hope we get the taller version, and that they knock the design out of the park. This location and height and mass will make this tower an instant icon, i hope the design can rise to the occasion and live up to it. A crown would be the icing on the cake, i hope it has one, would be way more intreseting than a flat roof.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 5:49 AM
Metal Up Your !

I am getting too excited for this. I don't want to experience disappointment, so it's putting a damper on it.

1400 is already an incredible number to look at. Any more height is like delicious creamy icing on the cake. A crown that tapers off gracefully and maybe a splash of decor, would be the big bright red cherry on top of the icing.

One can dream right?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 12:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I am getting too excited for this. I don't want to experience disappointment, so it's putting a damper on it.

1400 is already an incredible number to look at. Any more height is like delicious creamy icing on the cake. A crown that tapers off gracefully and maybe a splash of decor, would be the big bright red cherry on top of the icing.

One can dream right?

Yeah. I'm just gonna assume a tower of 1,400+ feet, and the overall massing will be as depicted, a tower that fits within the zoning for that site. The only thing they are requesting is for the amendment to move the retail (a branch) from Madison Avenue to the SE side so the POPS could be placed there in the enclosure.

Now, I'm not sure if that massing includes space for the remaining development rights Chase has been acquiring for the site, or if that will come at a later time once the air rights are in place. The only thing that has advanced so far is for the Grand Central air rights, which is where the bulk of the additional space is coming from. But initial plans called for a tower to house 15,000 employees. The current version in the EAS is for about 12,000 employees.

Remember the smaller pieces...

Quote:
https://therealdeal.com/2018/06/28/j...0-park-avenue/

50K sf of air rights — and maybe 505K more for 270 Park Avenue
Bank agreed to pay $20.7M to St. Bart's

By Kathryn Brenzel
June 28, 2018

Quote:
JPMorgan Chase has agreed to buy 50,000 square feet of air rights from St. Bartholomew’s Church but is leaving the door open to buy up to 505,000 square feet more for $157.8 million.

The bank plans to pay $20.7 million for the initial installment of rights, according to a petition filed in state Supreme Court on Wednesday. JPMorgan has agreed to pay $15.6 million for the rights, as well as $3.1 million for public contributions that are required by recent rezoning legislation. The bank has also agreed to pay up to $2 million in closing and related costs.

As part of the agreement, JPMorgan has the option to eventually buy all but 20,000 square feet of the church’s remaining air rights. The bank has until February 28, 2019, to decide whether to buy more.
Quote:
The petition notes that the bank can use these air rights at the Park Avenue tower or at “another qualifying” site. But if the bank buys additional rights from St. Bart’s, those must be used for the Park Avenue tower, according to the court documents.
Quote:
JPMorgan has also agreed to pay a $3 million fee to hold onto its option to buy additional rights from the church. The fee will count toward its purchase of more air rights if the bank purchases 300,000 square feet or more.

In March, the New York Times reported that JPMorgan agreed to buy 680,000 square feet of air rights from the owners of Grand Central Terminal, as well as 100,000 square feet of air rights from St. Bart’s and possibly more from another religious institution.

Quote:
https://archpaper.com/2018/10/st-bar...jpmorganchase/

Historic midtown N.Y.C. church to transfer air rights to JPMorgan

By SYDNEY FRANKLIN
October 3, 2018

Quote:
JPMorgan Chase is one step closer to constructing its new headquarters atop the footprint of the soon-to-be-demolished Union Carbide building in New York City. Since February, the bank has successfully initiated the transfer of development rights from the adjacent Grand Central Terminal and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. On Tuesday, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission signaled the third major structure to give over rights in the deal—the 100-year-old St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church.

The commission voted unanimously to approve a master plan for the restoration and continued maintenance of the historic church, pending the planned transfer of air rights to JPMorgan. Commissioner Michael Goldblum called the decision a “joyous day” for St. Bart’s and acknowledged the success of the many buildings that have begun a revival process due to the deal, some of which would “never have had the ability to raise adequate funds” for themselves.

The financial giant has agreed to purchase at least 50,000-square-feet of development rights from St. Bart’s for $20.7 million, which the deteriorating church will use to underwrite countless renovation projects on site. At the end of June, The Real Deal reported that the bank is also considering buying 505,000 square feet of additional development rights for seven times the current price.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 3:09 PM

Between Two Giants

A comparison between One Vanderbilt tower and 270 Park Ave tower.

With One Vanderbilt, 270 Park Ave, 341 Madison and Hotel Roosevelt, the East Midtown Skyline will be more vibrant than Hudson Yards.

imagine from Thomas Koloski
http://www.yimbyforums.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction